By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 US price cut is not about turning “profit today”

Retrasado said:
fastyxx said:
Every Sony fanboy posting their MS hatred on a Windows-based machine are helping the 360 stay in for the long haul.

Funny because it's true.

Apple ftw!!

nice one. But I prefer to have a computer I can actually find software for....

OT: well, that doesn't surprise me they are willing to take a loss again because this is pretty much make-or-break for them. I mean, Japan is non-existant for both HD consoles (and the PS3 is outselling them there), they're getting royally owned in Europe, and the 20GB "clearance sale" in their strongest region couldn't even push sales over a console that costs $100-$200 more. Nothing has worked so far. If this doesn't work, nothing will. Fortunately for them though, I'm pretty sure this will work. However, they would have been smarter to wait until closer to the holiday season because doing the drop now gives Sony time to counterattack before the holidays if they have to.

The  problem for sony is they cannot afford a price drop.

That's why MS are behaving so agressivley imo.

Around the Network
reask said:
Retrasado said:
fastyxx said:
Every Sony fanboy posting their MS hatred on a Windows-based machine are helping the 360 stay in for the long haul.

Funny because it's true.

Apple ftw!!

OT: well, that doesn't surprise me they are willing to take a loss again because this is pretty much make-or-break for them. I mean, Japan is non-existant for both HD consoles (and the PS3 is outselling them there), they're getting royally owned in Europe, and the 20GB "clearance sale" in their strongest region couldn't even push sales over a console that costs $100-$200 more. Nothing has worked so far. If this doesn't work, nothing will. Fortunately for them though, I'm pretty sure this will work. However, they would have been smarter to wait until closer to the holiday season because doing the drop now gives Sony time to counterattack before the holidays if they have to.

The  problem for sony is they cannot afford a price drop.

That's why MS are behaving so agressivley imo.

I think they can if they have to. I mean, if Sony's sales collapse, what else can they do? Just let MS walk away with the contest? Also, despite the PS devision losses, Sony corp as a whole posted a net profit of nearly $500 million last quarter, so they do have a little flex room if they have no other choice. However, even though I'm pretty sure the price drop will greatly increase 360 sales, I don't think they will increase enough to make Sony "have" to retaliate.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

At this point, if 360 sales shoot up, and Sony is left in the dust....they will have to strongly consider a price cut, and watch the reactions of the sony drones...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

reask said:

“Microsoft wants to drum up demand for the holiday,” he said. “Microsoft’s long-term vision for the Xbox is not to turn a profit today.

Based on Microsoft's history with the XBox, their long-term vision is not to turn a profit, ever, at any point in time...

Hooray for pre-emptive damage control! I can't wait to see what happens to the Entertainment Division financials in the next two quarters.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

They want to get to the point where they can fix the prices like they do in the OS and Office app industry. That's why I hope they will always have a competitor in this industry.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
reask said:
Tbone said:
reask said:
Remember what Bill Gates said many years ago about windows.

His goal was to have a PC in every living room.

Something he pretty much acheived.

Nobody should underestimate MS in my opinion.

They want to win at any cost.

Yes but how much money are they villing to lose to do that.

Knowing MS as much as it takes.

Just think about it if you own a ps3 but fancy the 360 library as well.

At such a low price you will be more inclined to pick one up.

If I could be sure that RRoD is not an issue on the model I bought, and I was certain I'd inflict a loss on MS for the console sale, I may buy a 360 eventually.  I'd continue to use the free PSN for online gameplay and definitely wouldn't pay for Live, and I'd buy only 2nd hand 360 games.

I've bought my absolute last copies of Windows and Office.  I won't do that anymore, starting with my next computer.

Retrasado said:
fastyxx said:

Funny because it's true.

Apple ftw!!

There's actually MORE software for Mac than for Windows - only machines, seeing as how my base level Intel iMac runs any Windows program better than my roomie's new-ish upgraded PC, in addition to all the native Mac programs.  (Just in case you've been under a rock somewhere for the past few years and didn't realize this was the case.)

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Alot of people on this site are going to be surprised at how well M$ is going to do this holiday in all territories.