By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why the 360 price cuts won"t hurt the ps3!

Spiteful49 said:
Let me first say...

Even with the head start I never thought MS would have sold as much as they have and my hats off to them. Thats amazing to me with going against the handheld revolution, the Wii and the PS name with the PS2 still selling pretty well on its own.

IMO MS wins every time someone buys a 360. This price drop will effect the US sales of the PS3. Anyone on the fence will have a hard time passing up the $199 price to play the hundreds of games. I know 2 people who are big Sony Fans and they are now buying a 360 after the price cut. They both bought the new Madden on their PS2's and have always waited for price drops before buying a new console. The 360 has some great games and for $199 they are going to jump ship and buy the arcade and a cheap 20 gig HD off of Ebay.

Can you honestly say if they didnt lower the price in Europe they would be selling as many units as they are now? Do price cuts not effect Europeans? It is more reasonable to think that the price cut could have been offset by the PS3 releasing quality games and the 360 bad press? I think if they didnt lower the price the XBOX would be way below where they are now.

I have never heard anyone say in the US... "Buy the 360 over the PS3 because it is from a US company." The US was not loyal to Microsoft as much as they were to Sony. If the PS3 had come out at the same time as the 360 and had the similar gaming library they would be #1 by a land slide. The PS2 was to big and gave Sony a huge advantage. No matter how you twist it they were the champs and this was their generation to lose. Nintendo came from the shadows and knocked out everyone and MS has been relentlessly still trying. The price cut is just another thing MS is doing to slay the PS beast. MS might be this huge company but they have been the underdogs and have been working a lot harder then Sony and it has shown.

The biggest success MS has is that they established themselves as a real player in the console gaming world. They do this by selling more and more XBOX 360s. Lower prices equal more sales.

If you mean that the price cuts won't "hurt the PS3" by keeping the 360 ahead of the PS3 in global sales then you are right. I think the PS3 will over take the 360 eventually. If you are talking about how these price cuts won't help "hurt the PS3" by taking away millions of potential future PS3 owners... Then you are wrong. The 360 has already done that and will continue to do so.

Props....very well written!

Around the Network
megaman2 said:
De85 said:

So let me get this straight, since the people in Europe and Japan are less tolerant, the 360 price cut in America will have no effect??

I think you're severely underestimating the 360's potential on its home turf.

What I said was that people in europe and japan are less tolerate to the rrod, I also said that the price cut will have a big effect for a couple of weeks. (momentarily)

You missed the point.  The pending price cut is in America so the European and Japanese opinions of the RRoD mean precisely dick.  This price cut will pave the way for the 360 to have a huge holiday season.

De85 said:
megaman2 said:
De85 said:

So let me get this straight, since the people in Europe and Japan are less tolerant, the 360 price cut in America will have no effect??

What I said was that people in europe and japan are less tolerate to the rrod, I also said that the price cut will have a big effect for a couple of weeks. (momentarily)

You missed the point.  The pending price cut is in America so the European and Japanese opinions of the RRoD mean precisely dick.  This price cut will pave the way for the 360 to have a huge holiday season.

Japan is getting the price cut as well.

360 needs a price cut to compete with the ps3 thats weak
ps3 is more expensive than 360 in europe and the ps3 still smashes it now thats strong. when the ps3 gets a price cut the 360 has no chance at all

mickill2 said:
360 needs a price cut to compete with the ps3 thats weak
ps3 is more expensive than 360 in europe and the ps3 still smashes it now thats strong. when the ps3 gets a price cut the 360 has no chance at all

What the hell are you talking about? It's Microsofts 3rd year. They need to have a proper price cut. This is to go after the larger group of consumers waiting for an affordable HD console. Sony cannot compete with this price drop this year. Better luck next year.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
De85 said:
megaman2 said:
De85 said:

You missed the point. The pending price cut is in America so the European and Japanese opinions of the RRoD mean precisely dick. This price cut will pave the way for the 360 to have a huge holiday season.

I must have missed that news, but since the PS3 is also a non-factor in the Japanese market it won't make much of a difference anyway.

I put this up in another thread, but I think it's much more relevant here, so I'll copy/paste it (with edits) here:

MS's goal for the $199 Arcade is to fight the PS3. It will have an effect, but much less than people think.

Consumers shop by price. Therefore the $199 Arcade is much more in competition with a similarly priced and much more popular console: the $250 Wii. The Arcade will have much more appeal to casuals than the hardcore (read: no hard drive), and the casual market will overwhelmingly choose the Wii, should they find it.

Consider that the hardcore demographic will most likely want a console that's not as gimped as the Arcade, they'd essentially be choosing between the higher 360s and the PS3.

The 60GB 360 has been selling at $299 for a month now, and it's not really helping MS beat the PS3. The Elite is at the same price as the PS3, so it's not gonna help much.

So basically:

High price: PS3 will sell much better than 360.

Low price: Wii will sell much better than 360.

The 360 will have a foot in each market, but underwhelmingly so, and I think that even if you add it up it wont amount to enough to overcome the PS3 for more than a couple of weeks.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

chenguo4 said:

I put this up in another thread, but I think it's much more relevant here, so I'll copy/paste it (with edits) here:

MS's goal for the $199 Arcade is to fight the PS3. It will have an effect, but much less than people think.

Consumers shop by price. Therefore the $199 Arcade is much more in competition with a similarly priced and much more popular console: the $250 Wii. The Arcade will have much more appeal to casuals than the hardcore (read: no hard drive), and the casual market will overwhelmingly choose the Wii, should they find it.

Consider that the hardcore demographic will most likely want a console that's not as gimped as the Arcade, they'd essentially be choosing between the higher 360s and the PS3.

The 60GB 360 has been selling at $299 for a month now, and it's not really helping MS beat the PS3. The Elite is at the same price as the PS3, so it's not gonna help much.

So basically:

The 360 will have a foot in each market, but underwhelmingly so, and I think that even if you add it up it wont amount to enough to overcome the PS3 for more than a couple of weeks.

I aprove of this message.

Systems owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox360

Currently Playing: UNCHARTED 2 !!

Waiting for: FFXIII, GoW3, GT5, Mass Effect 2

chenguo4 said:

So basically:

Consumers also shop by library contrasts as well as price. If you get price and choice you have a winner.

What is more attractive? A 60 GB 360 at $299 or PS3 at $399?

I agree with the rest.

CGI-Quality said:
De85 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
---snipped---

I must have missed that news, but since the PS3 is also a non-factor in the Japanese market it won't make much of a difference anyway.

Don't you mean the 360 in this sentence?

No, I mean the PS3.  The thread is about the 360 price cut adversely affecting PS3 sales, but since PS3 Japan sales are almost equally abysmal it really can't get much worse.