By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why the 360 price cuts won"t hurt the ps3!

Hi guys, as you will all know the Xbox 360 will receive a price cut on the 5th September in America, it has already received a price cut in Europe and Japan. The effects of these price cuts will only be momentarily, with its only effect in America.

Despite a price cut in Europe and the ps3 being priced higher, the ps3 has consistenly outsold the Xbox 360 in the Pal terortories. This because of a few reasons they are:

• Brand name/loyal fanbase
  • Rrod

The Sony Playstation brand has established itself well in Europe, due to the succes of the ps1 and continuing success of the ps2.  With less than a year on the market the ps3 managed to overtake the Xbox 360 in Europe, reason for this was the established brand name and in Europe the Xbox 360 received too much bad press which really hurt sales e.g Scractched discs and several law suits by disgruntled consumers.

What many people need to understand is that people in Europe/Japan are less tolerant. many people who initialy purchased a Xbox 360, who had encountered the rrod, will most likely have made jump to the ps3/wii. People in America would have probably sticked with their xbox 360 out of loyalty, but the Europeans/Japanese people dont have that connection with the 360, thatloyalty is with the ps3.

Where I feel that Microsoft went wrong is that when the rrod was first discovered, they should have inmediately fixed the root of the problem and alerted consumers that they have fixed the problem. I must congratulate Microsoft for putting out the 3-year warranty, but cant they just erase the whole problem period. With the new release of the 60gb which has the improved the motherboard, reduction of heat emission and is less prone to the rrod. Despite all these improvements the rrod is still not been fixed, just the rate is reduced.

In conclusion the Xbox 360 price cuts will only have an effect momentarily, despite the cheapest being priced at $199. The major will only be in America, price cuts in Europe have had little or no effect, I think that is why the ' Xbox 360 price cuts won't hurt the ps3'.

If you do not agree with me please state your reason for this so we can all have a sensible discussion, love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you, guys

Around the Network

@Rol LOLLERSKATES

Yeah it is.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

RolStoppable said:
megaman2 said:

What many people need to understand is that people in Europe/Japan are less tolerated.

This line is awesome.

loll just fixed it

you forgot to mention

better

games
looking console
controller
features
disk drive
HDD
graphics

and other various stuff.

pluss i dont think the NA price cut will effect the s3 because if it was then the ps3's sales would have been going down already in anticipation of the 360 price cut.

Price is important. We've seen it over and over in gaming history. It will have an impact. How BIG of an impact is up for discussion. But it will have an impact.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network

Hmmm... makes sense to me. MS will have to have the most expensive model at 250 to get some where, atleast that's how it looks to me.....

4 ≈ One

So let me get this straight, since the people in Europe and Japan are less tolerant, the 360 price cut in America will have no effect?? 

I think you're severely underestimating the 360's potential on its home turf.

it will save them from totally owned (huge usa sales)considering they are going to loose europe and japan by alot.

in japan and europe its even cheaper than the wii and its not selling even close wii levels.

i week ago i would have said otherwise, but now its pretty clear.

De85 said:

So let me get this straight, since the people in Europe and Japan are less tolerant, the 360 price cut in America will have no effect?? 

I think you're severely underestimating the 360's potential on its home turf.

What I said was that people in europe and japan are less tolerate to the rrod, I also said that the price cut will have a big effect for a couple of weeks. (momentarily)

RROD isn't a problem on newer consoles and the PS3 isn't exactly blazing trails in Japan... 10k a week and the 360 does around 6k... that's a smaller gap then they on a week to week here in the US. The price tag's impact will not truthfully be felt until holiday numbers roll in. The thing that amuses me most is that the closer that the price cut comes the more I see these kinds of post... if you honestly think the price isn't going to have a impact you wouldn't post this at all.