By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why the 360 price cuts won"t hurt the ps3!

How is keeping Sony away from 2nd place not a a threat to Sony? The oblivious nature of some people. Microsofts goal this whole gen, period as Don Mattrick has said is to keep Sony in 3rd until the gen is over.

Around the Network
Cueil said:
megaman2 said:
Daddo Splat said:
Will see by xmas if the 360 is 5 to 6 million a head it was a good move by ms. lets face it 360 beats ps3 in americas.

I agree with you, but let me ask you this if both consoles laucnhed at the same time, would the 360 be leading in america??

Yes... the PS3 would have cost even more than it did on it's late launch and that alone could have spelled it's doom... but really they couldn't have done it unless they dropped BR and then that would kind of take one of the reasons for having one away.

Somewhere really far a way in a really dark attic in a really old house, there is a painting of the Xbox 360 being able to outsell the PS3 if it was launched at the same time. Don't even get me started on how much worse the whole RROD situation (which is still destroying the 360's reputation) would be if the PS3 had been around during the 33% days.

perpride said:
Cueil said:
megaman2 said:
Daddo Splat said:
Will see by xmas if the 360 is 5 to 6 million a head it was a good move by ms. lets face it 360 beats ps3 in americas.

I agree with you, but let me ask you this if both consoles laucnhed at the same time, would the 360 be leading in america??

Yes... the PS3 would have cost even more than it did on it's late launch and that alone could have spelled it's doom... but really they couldn't have done it unless they dropped BR and then that would kind of take one of the reasons for having one away.

Somewhere really far a way in a really dark attic in a really old house, there is a painting of the Xbox 360 being able to outsell the PS3 if it was launched at the same time. Don't even get me started on how much worse the whole RROD situation (which is still destroying the 360's reputation) would be if the PS3 had been around during the 33% days.

So you too have visited the old house, i thoguht i was the only one loll

well said

you forgot to mention

better

games                     Still not as strong of a library as it should be, lacking if you ask many

looking console         Dust Collector, really clean it then clean it a couple hours later.

controller                  light weight like a plastic toy, before I got rumble, WHY do my fingers slip off the L2 and R2 btns?

online                      Is somebody going to use there MIC in an online game ever? I'm being serious?

features                   What the ingame XMB we just now got?

disk drive                 yay for Blu-Ray 1.0 it plays movies good, but it loads games so slowly, Hence: Mandatory Install

HDD                        With more Mandatory Installs to come, your going to need space, maybe they can settle on a size

graphics                   are the same for both consoles, yes we know

and other various stuff.    

pluss i dont think the NA price cut will effect the s3 because if it was then the ps3's sales would have been going down already in anticipation of the 360 price cut.

decided to make some Fanboy Replies to a Fanboy comment

No pun intended... lol

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

sega4life said:

you forgot to mention

better

games                     Still not as strong of a library as it should be, lacking if you ask many

looking console         Dust Collector, really clean it then clean it a couple hours later.

controller                  light weight like a plastic toy, before I got rumble, WHY do my fingers slip off the L2 and R2 btns?

online                      Is somebody going to use there MIC in an online game ever? I'm being serious?

features                   What the ingame XMB we just now got?

disk drive                 yay for Blu-Ray 1.0 it plays movies good, but it loads games so slowly, Hence: Mandatory Install

HDD                        With more Mandatory Installs to come, your going to need space, maybe they can settle on a size

graphics                   are the same for both consoles, yes we know

and other various stuff.    

pluss i dont think the NA price cut will effect the s3 because if it was then the ps3's sales would have been going down already in anticipation of the 360 price cut.

decided to make some Fanboy Replies to a Fanboy comment

No pun intended... lol

This...i mean that....ahhh hell.....all of the above in Red is pure WIN LOL!!!

Around the Network
megaman2 said:

The nintendo wii is a pop phenomenon, everyboy wants and its priced beautifully at 250, but the ps3 at start of launch was twice the price of the wii, ith ps3 and the wii wee both priced at $250 sales would be differently.

Megaman2 -- that might be true.  But by the time the PS3 is $250 (USD), the Wii will be no more than $150 (USD). The PS3 cannot battle on price. It must battle on features and software.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Let me first say...

Even with the head start I never thought MS would have sold as much as they have and my hats off to them. Thats amazing to me with going against the handheld revolution, the Wii and the PS name with the PS2 still selling pretty well on its own.

IMO MS wins every time someone buys a 360. This price drop will effect the US sales of the PS3. Anyone on the fence will have a hard time passing up the $199 price to play the hundreds of games. I know 2 people who are big Sony Fans and they are now buying a 360 after the price cut. They both bought the new Madden on their PS2's and have always waited for price drops before buying a new console. The 360 has some great games and for $199 they are going to jump ship and buy the arcade and a cheap 20 gig HD off of Ebay.

Can you honestly say if they didnt lower the price in Europe they would be selling as many units as they are now? Do price cuts not effect Europeans? It is more reasonable to think that the price cut could have been offset by the PS3 releasing quality games and the 360 bad press? I think if they didnt lower the price the XBOX would be way below where they are now.

I have never heard anyone say in the US... "Buy the 360 over the PS3 because it is from a US company." The US was not loyal to Microsoft as much as they were to Sony. If the PS3 had come out at the same time as the 360 and had the similar gaming library they would be #1 by a land slide. The PS2 was to big and gave Sony a huge advantage. No matter how you twist it they were the champs and this was their generation to lose. Nintendo came from the shadows and knocked out everyone and MS has been relentlessly still trying. The price cut is just another thing MS is doing to slay the PS beast. MS might be this huge company but they have been the underdogs and have been working a lot harder then Sony and it has shown.

The biggest success MS has is that they established themselves as a real player in the console gaming world. They do this by selling more and more XBOX 360s. Lower prices equal more sales.

If you mean that the price cuts won't "hurt the PS3" by keeping the 360 ahead of the PS3 in global sales then you are right. I think the PS3 will over take the 360 eventually. If you are talking about how these price cuts won't help "hurt the PS3" by taking away millions of potential future PS3 owners... Then you are wrong. The 360 has already done that and will continue to do so.

obieslut said:
you forgot to mention

better

games
looking console
controller
features
disk drive
HDD
graphics

and other various stuff.

Everything you just mentioned is subjective.

Games - not at the moment looking console - agreed controller - not in my opinion Online - nope features - I would agree to an extent Disk Drive - Yes 100% HDD - not the built in ones Graphics - This is a whole other topic that we could have a 20 thread discussion on, so lets not start this here.

And other various stuff.... this sentence isn't even remotely close to correct, but once again, this is another subject altogether.

Just kiss the tip.

megaman2 said:

Hi guys, as you will all know the Xbox 360 will receive a price cut on the 5th September in America, it has already received a price cut in Europe and Japan. The effects of these price cuts will only be momentarily, with its only effect in America.

Despite a price cut in Europe and the ps3 being priced higher, the ps3 has consistenly outsold the Xbox 360 in the Pal terortories. This because of a few reasons they are:

• Brand name/loyal fanbase
  • Rrod

The Sony Playstation brand has established itself well in Europe, due to the succes of the ps1 and continuing success of the ps2.  With less than a year on the market the ps3 managed to overtake the Xbox 360 in Europe, reason for this was the established brand name and in Europe the Xbox 360 received too much bad press which really hurt sales e.g Scractched discs and several law suits by disgruntled consumers.

What many people need to understand is that people in Europe/Japan are less tolerant. many people who initialy purchased a Xbox 360, who had encountered the rrod, will most likely have made jump to the ps3/wii. People in America would have probably sticked with their xbox 360 out of loyalty, but the Europeans/Japanese people dont have that connection with the 360, thatloyalty is with the ps3.

Where I feel that Microsoft went wrong is that when the rrod was first discovered, they should have inmediately fixed the root of the problem and alerted consumers that they have fixed the problem. I must congratulate Microsoft for putting out the 3-year warranty, but cant they just erase the whole problem period. With the new release of the 60gb which has the improved the motherboard, reduction of heat emission and is less prone to the rrod. Despite all these improvements the rrod is still not been fixed, just the rate is reduced.

In conclusion the Xbox 360 price cuts will only have an effect momentarily, despite the cheapest being priced at $199. The major will only be in America, price cuts in Europe have had little or no effect, I think that is why the ' Xbox 360 price cuts won't hurt the ps3'.

If you do not agree with me please state your reason for this so we can all have a sensible discussion, love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you, guys

By the editor of VGchartz

I hope to god you aren't the editor of VGchartz. Bad grammar and horrible spelling would then ensue.

Just kiss the tip.

StanGable said:
Dear OP,

What would you say are the reasons why the PS3's future price drops will not affect Wii sales hence not ever being able for Sony to catch up to Nintendo?

Red Herring?

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.