By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What didn't you like about your fav games?

It's always fun to look at what you love about various games, but it's also fun to see what you didn't like about some of your favorite games. I don't mean things like "well I just don't like games like x" but actually criticisms about some games that you're currently playing or really like.

Here's two of mine:

Resident Evil: 4

I'm playing through this right now and loving it for many different reasons, but there has been one thing that has absolutely been bugging me: the music. Whenever there's an enemy present, they make sounds and some type of music plays. When there are no enemies present, there is no music. This effectively kills a large amount of the mood in this game and if they game just wasn't so great I would have stopped playing just for that.

A survival horror game isn't supposed to tell you when you can relax and you when you should be alert. I don't want to know when I killed the last enemy in an area so I can run around safely and collect things I didn't pick up earlier. This game would be so much more enjoyable if they just hadn't done the music like that.

Gears of War

I wasn't a fan of this game when I first picked it up but I played it a few months later when I had the time to devote to it and I had A LOT of fun with the single player campaign. The pacing was great, the combat was intense, one you got the controls they were quite good, the cover system was cool, and it was just a lot of fun. The only thing I really didn't like in this game were the Berserker fights.

I think these could have been really fun if they were done better, but they just simply weren't done well. The first Berserker wasn't bad, the only problem with that was that it was just so easy to get stuck on the pillars in the last room before you get her outside. Still though, that one wasn't bad. The next fight I hated because I just didn't catch the part where you have to run it through the pillars to knock down the roof. I didn't hear the chatter because of the overall confusion of the fight and even though I knew the Hammer of Dawn needed open sky, knocking down pillars to shatter roof just wasn't obvious. The last fight I think was easily the worst of the three. I eventually had to go look up a faq on how to beat that fight. The next fight, the train one, I think was easily the worst. They spent the first two fights teaching the player that you get the Berserker to knock things down to beat them, in this fight you don't do any of that. It was fairly confusing leading that thing to the back of the train and then disconnect the car to beat it.

I really wanted to like the Berserker fights, they were a near idea, just they were implemented so poorly.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

It's always fun to look at what you love about various games, but it's also fun to see what you didn't like about some of your favorite games. I don't mean things like "well I just don't like games like x" but actually criticisms about some games that you're currently playing or really like.

Here's two of mine:

Resident Evil: 4

I'm playing through this right now and loving it for many different reasons, but there has been one thing that has absolutely been bugging me: the music. Whenever there's an enemy present, they make sounds and some type of music plays. When there are no enemies present, there is no music. This effectively kills a large amount of the mood in this game and if they game just wasn't so great I would have stopped playing just for that.

A survival horror game isn't supposed to tell you when you can relax and you when you should be alert. I don't want to know when I killed the last enemy in an area so I can run around safely and collect things I didn't pick up earlier. This game would be so much more enjoyable if they just hadn't done the music like that.

Gears of War

I wasn't a fan of this game when I first picked it up but I played it a few months later when I had the time to devote to it and I had A LOT of fun with the single player campaign. The pacing was great, the combat was intense, one you got the controls they were quite good, the cover system was cool, and it was just a lot of fun. The only thing I really didn't like in this game were the Berserker fights.

I think these could have been really fun if they were done better, but they just simply weren't done well. The first Berserker wasn't bad, the only problem with that was that it was just so easy to get stuck on the pillars in the last room before you get her outside. Still though, that one wasn't bad. The next fight I hated because I just didn't catch the part where you have to run it through the pillars to knock down the roof. I didn't hear the chatter because of the overall confusion of the fight and even though I knew the Hammer of Dawn needed open sky, knocking down pillars to shatter roof just wasn't obvious. The last fight I think was easily the worst of the three. I eventually had to go look up a faq on how to beat that fight. The next fight, the train one, I think was easily the worst. They spent the first two fights teaching the player that you get the Berserker to knock things down to beat them, in this fight you don't do any of that. It was fairly confusing leading that thing to the back of the train and then disconnect the car to beat it.

I really wanted to like the Berserker fights, they were a near idea, just they were implemented so poorly.

Well, I personally don't agree with you on either of your points but I will comment on one thing about RE4:

I personally don't think that survival horror games should have music at all unless you're in a "safe" room. It's okay to let me know that this room is safe (in RE terms, a save point/dump place) but don't try to go Michael Bay on me and overwhelm me with music. The best parts in RE were when you roamed around and then had the shit scared out of you by a chanting monk creeping in from a hidden door behind you. Silence is golden, and very creepy, in games like this. Dunno, maybe we're agreeing here but I think our points are a little different.

Anyway, to the point. The end fight for Halo 2 really disappointed me. I thought the story was brilliant (way to bring in an Empire Strikes Back second act ending, Bungie!) but the end fight was just... Meh. It could have been harder.

In fact, that's my complaint with most games. I beat TP. Ganandorf sucked. He was too easy. Almost every 360 game I've played has had too easy of an end boss. Most PS2 games were the same way. I'd get good at a game and then walk over the final boss. The only exception I can think of is Ninja Gaiden but that game is just too damned hard from the beginning. I beat one of them but grew weary of having to bust my ass 15 times to get through level three of an eight level game. I just don't have the patience I did when I was nine years old trying to beat Kid Icarus.

Maybe that's why I love the Mario series so much. Myamoto strikes the perfect balance between difficult and impossible. I can't think of a Super Mario game that left me feeling unfulfilled after beating the game. They're hard but not impossible, nor can you call them easy.

So, in short, you could say that I'm disappointed in most of my favorite games (especially the Zelda games... WEAK) because they don't offer enough of a challenge at the end.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

games i like alot are the zelda games, the downside for me is that the puzzles on the last 4 zelda's are rougly the same. same path, forrest fire water big event foorest etc.
thats a bit cheap.

gears of war i like a lot but i dont like the 4 vs 4 multiplayer.
altho its fast short and heavy i would like to see 16 vs 16 because then there is a big massacre.

life isn't complicated, just face it simple.

to twesterm,

I see there is sill people who thinks that RE is STILL a survival horror.
RE is an survival ACTION horror. That is all.
If you want something less ACTION, you can try to play Silent hill or Haunted Ground

Oh, I didn't say RE4 is bad (since i m playing it on PS2)
But this is more a action game that an horror game.

Time to Work !

Zelda: Ocarina of Time because well... it ended!

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Randomised skill inheritance. When you chose two demons to fuse, the game would tell you what skills the final demon would inherit before you decide to complete the fusion. The skills are chosen randomly, and if you decided to cancel the fusion and chose to fuse the same two demons again, the game would chose the skills to be inherited at random again. This meant if you wanted the final demon to inherit a specific group of skills from the fused demons (which you basically always did), you had to repeat attempting and canceling fusions until that group of skills is randomly chosen. Which is ****ing gay, and could waste a lot of time. Why couldn't you just let us choose which skills we wanted to be inherited, Atlus?

Auto kill attacks. In SMT: Nocturne (a JRPG), when your protagonist dies, it's game over and you have to restart from the last save point (and save points are few and far between in this game). Normal enemies are already a bitch, but then they decide to give some of your enemies attacks that automatically kill (though, they have low accuracy). You do get a skill that blocks these type of attacks, but having to do this in every battle to stop you getting haxed out of an hour of playtime isn't cool.

Though, other than these two points SMT: Nocturne is about as good as a tradition JRPG will ever get.

Shadow of the Colossus:

Too many humanoid colossi. The other colossi were much more interesting, in my opinion.

Not enough to do other than the colossi. Things like environmental puzzles would be fun. Stuff like climbing the temple.

ICO:

Nothing, really. Everything about the game seems to be subjective. It's like looking for ways to improve a game's art design. You can't objectively improve art design. All you can do is change it so that you like it more. And you can't even think of a way change art design to make it so you like it more. I guess what I'm saying is ICO could be better, but I have no idea how to make it better.

to rocketpig,

completely aggry with your point on "end boss " that are too and too bad (God of War ...).
I have same feeling at the end of a horror movie when the "bad guy" die, it is always to easy and i m disapointed ;(((
It the same for video game (in general ofc)

Time to Work !

To Starless,

I didn't really like ICO, strange story (too many things that are not know), strange end, too short ...

Time to Work !

FF IX:

I didn't like that the character interaction cut scenes ended half way through the game, slack much?

Resistance: I like the game in all but i really didnt like how the story was told like it was some kind of biograpy

Gears of War: One of my favorite games in Nex Gen. I was only disapointed in the length. I really wanted it to be more longer because this game was awesome.

Gran Turismo 4: Really wanted it to have online

Forza 2: Very great nothing to complain about until i saw that racist car. I hate Racist people!!!!!!!!!

and alot more that i cant think of right now