By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - REAL Unbiased Console Comparisons

good article

Around the Network

Im a kid and I can read that without getting bored... what is worng with you people never you g2 read abook for your brain lmao!!

mM

One reason I like the SixAxis is that every PS3 game doesn't force you to use motion control. They allow you to use motion control or the analog sticks. Not every game is better with motion control, and is why I like that every game has that choice.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
One reason I like the SixAxis is that every PS3 game doesn't force you to use motion control. They allow you to use motion control or the analog sticks. Not every game is better with motion control, and is why I like that every game has that choice.

Okay, you do make an excellent point, you're right that not all games benefit from motion controls, esspecially this early on in its development, but one thing you should be aware of is that because of the fact that the sixaxis is giving you the choice of dual joysticks, it is doing so by sacrificing the ability to take full advantage of motion controls.

I've explained much of the reason for this in the Sixaxis vs. Wiimote argument that you've probably already read, but I'll compound on this with another point. Not only is the basic controller design of the sixaxis limiting to the use of motion sensing in a game, but because developers are attempting to go both ways, they are automatically limited to designing for dual joysticks, and then attempting to use motion sensing to take over for some of the controls. As long as that's all the motion sensing will be used for, there is no possible way for motion sensing to be better than a classical controller. However, if you are designing without any concern for dual joysticks and are working purely from motion sensing, it is possible to create control setups that can't even be mapped to a classical controller, yet still remain intuitive enough to not feel complicated in use.

We haven't reached that point, yet, but at this point it's just a matter of time. Right now, there are already a number of cases where motion controls ARE a benefit, at least with Nintendo, primarily due to the fact that the Wiimote is built to be held in one hand. While there are also a number of cases where motion controls did not work well, much of these problems can and certainly will be addressed as developers delve deeper into the capabilities of motion sensing. Once motion sensing is fully capitalized on, it will probably benefit or at least stay on par with more games than you realize. It will take some time, and we've hardly reached the point already, but we never will reach that point unless you commit fully to the motion controls as the Wiimote has done.

To make an analogy(or is it a simile?) imagine designing a car that could also be used as a plane. Sure, you have the option of using it as a plane, but that doesn't mean it will be able to fly as well or as comfortably as an actual plane built purely to fly. It is almost impossible to create something that preforms two tasks, that can do both of them as well as something else that is built to exclusively preform one of those single tasks.
this is even more the case with motion controls, as there is less of a middle ground. You either have Really Good motion controls, or you have REALLY BAD motion controls, with anything less than nigh perfect tending to slip more towards the bad side.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I didn't read the whole thing, but I think that as you said in the PS3 bit, there are casual games in developement for it. I think that it should really be remembered that for the PS2 there was the Eye toy, buzz singstar and more, and all these will be coming to the PS3, which is something which adds to your point

add me

Around the Network

Whats stupid is that the ps3 has hardcore games coming out, the wii has none or very little, and everyone says it has no games, but if you look at it the best games vs wii and ps3 are on ps3 not the wii.

mM

very good read, I won't say that you were not biased, because i myself am biased towards nintendo and it would be biased on my part to tell you of your unbiasingness (is that even a word? haha) Enough with the use of that word. The read was good and the points were good too.

I´d like to point ouut that even if PS3 and x360 are doing similar numbers than PS2, at this time in the life of the PS2as compared to the ps3, it had only been released in japan. And in the case of X360, if you are taking into consideration All regions, let me tell you that europe and others are not counted in vgchartz for last generation, so its like youre comparing x360 all regions, to PS2 America and Japan only. (with PS3 is worse since youre comparing PS3 all regions to PS" japan only).

Welcome to the forums (even thou im not that much of a veteran here) keep up the good posts.

Hello.

Good post but like Cebrian explained it, PS3 and X360 are nowhere near the launch of the PS2.

Bye.

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?

Ah, I was unaware that Europe and others weren't counted towards the beginning of the PS2 launch. At that rate though, my focus on the comparative ratios between the Wii vs PS3/360 and PS2 vs GC/XB still stands.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

welcome to vgchartz, i cant really see that the wii is attracting casual gamers though. i mean it seems to me that the DS has attracted more casual gamers than the wii has.
oh and this post is not too long, i enjoyed it for the most part.

PSN ID: cgnobody

Xbox Gamertag: cgnobodyX

Wii friend code: 1445-3731-4393-2518