By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New 80GB PS3 Gives Us The Cold Shoulder

ChichiriMuyo said:
Steve 3.2 said:
Lingyis said:
Steve 3.2 said:
This was a long time coming. It's a quick way for Sony to save on the costs and in the long run most people won't care. If you really have to have PS1/PS2 compatibility, go get a PS2.

good point.

similarly, the wii should do away with its GC controllers slots. nobody buys GC games anyway these days, so why bother.

apparently some VC games use them, but it really is a minor issue.

good for 360 that has none of this backward compatibility worries.

While Nintendo could do so (and I wouldn't put it past them when Wii 2 comes out), the GameCube controller can actually be used by current Wii games. (SSBB being a prime example.) I don't think the same can be said between PS3 games and PS2 controllers. And the Wii's backwards compatibility comes from the fact that it uses the same family of processors as the GameCube. There are no extra chips in the Wii to make this work. So it's not like Nintendo is sticking a lot of extra money into the Wii to get GC games to run on it. I'm sure the ports add only about $5-10 to the cost.

Thank you. Really, the fact of the matter is that Sony is doing the best for compatability that they can without harming themselves unnecessarily. There are justifiable costs and unjustifiable ones, and the EE is in the later catagory. Frankly, the fact that the lack of GC controller ports was even compared to the lack of the EE is ASININE considering that you'd have 0 backwards compatability in one situation and 72% (and rising) in the other. People need to learn how to be reasonable rather than simply ignorant.

Oh, and I'd be shocked if those ports cost more than $2-3. God forbid we compare them to the ~$30 of the EE.

Removing the GC controller slots wouldn't remove GC playability, it'd require some creative working, allow the flash to replace a memory card and use the VC controller and there's 100% backwards compatability once more. It is not as poor a comparison as you seem to think it is..

Around the Network
Andir said:
NJ5 said:
robjoh said:
What is the point with this thread more than pure PS3 bashing?

Informing people?

"pure PS3 bashing"

Well, as a prospective buyer of the PS3, I would like to be informed.  I don't see this thread as bashing.  I find it informative, and if I can get a PS3 soon, I'll get the 60 GB rather than the 80 GB like I was thinking, because I'd prefer to have the EE.

Edit:  Though maybe the title is slightly bashing

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Dolla Dolla said:
Andir said:
NJ5 said:
robjoh said:

Informing people?

"pure PS3 bashing"

I see my sense of humor is lost on the lot of you. Next time I'll tone it down.

And yes, this article is informing you of the changes being made to the PS3 in case you didn't know they are removing the EE chip and using software emulation, which is not as comprehensive with backwards compatibility as the hardware solution.

The software solution is difference of a small percentage in compatibility and it's getting better with every firmware update.  The software solution is at the point now where it will surpass the EE hardware for compatibility.  Nobody has complained up till this point and I stand by that.  It's just a way for people to complain and bash on the PS3.  This has nothing to do with "information."

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Hawk said:
Andir said:
NJ5 said:
robjoh said:

Informing people?

"pure PS3 bashing"

Well, as a prospective buyer of the PS3, I would like to be informed. I don't see this thread as bashing. I find it informative, and if I can get a PS3 soon, I'll get the 60 GB rather than the 80 GB like I was thinking, because I'd prefer to have the EE.

Edit: Though maybe the title is slightly bashing

I bought the 60 GB as soon as the launch crap died down. I would rebuy one for a silver case though. I REALLY want that silver case they were showing at E3. And I'm REALLY nuts. Anyway, go for the EE if you want to trade your PS2 in or it's dieing as mine is(It's a launch PS2 ;;) otherwise a bunch of your games won't work properly if you have taste like mine...The games I have from PS2 tend to give the PS3 that lacks the EE problems(this is according to the list on Sony's website.) To be fair most of the games are listed as having "Minor problems" but it's still a problem so... that can't be good lol.  Just let it be known I have no way to test it as my PS3 has the EE and plays most of the titles.

Andir said:
Dolla Dolla said:
Andir said:
NJ5 said:
robjoh said:

Informing people?

"pure PS3 bashing"

And yes, this article is informing you of the changes being made to the PS3 in case you didn't know they are removing the EE chip and using software emulation, which is not as comprehensive with backwards compatibility as the hardware solution.

The software solution is difference of a small percentage in compatibility and it's getting better with every firmware update. The software solution is at the point now where it will surpass the EE hardware for compatibility. Nobody has complained up till this point and I stand by that. It's just a way for people to complain and bash on the PS3. This has nothing to do with "information."

Noone has complained? I've seen plenty of people complaining in Portuguese forums, and someone else mentioned the same about Finnish forums in another thread...

In any case, complaining or not, this is a valid piece of information, do you want people to hide it just because you don't like to see this thread? The world doesn't circle around you...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Well if it saves Sony money it's totally understandable. I think eventually the 80GB version will replace the entire line. For me I'll just make sure I hang on to my slim PS2. Not a big deal for me. Hopefuly updates will be good.

My PS3 is backwards compatible with every ps2 game I've tried. I have a UK launch version and it does NOT have an EE. They are increasing the compatibility regularly, they have admitted its not a priority, nor should it be as they are still fully supporting the PS2, unlike any other manufacturer.

Tho to be fair, I could give a rats ass about backwards compatibility, I have my old ps2 if I ever wanted to play one of the older games again if it didn't work with the PS3.

The major problem here is that Sony is still keeping the PS3 at $600 in most consumers eyes. All that changed is the prior "premium" model is now the gimped model. Yes technically it's a better buy but most consumers will just assume the $600 model is much better and if you're going to spend $500 why not $600 (usually you get more than $100 of extras for the upgrade, and no 5 crap BR movies given to you so Sony can keep bragging about how many BR movies are "selling" doesn't count).

Andir said:
Dolla Dolla said:
Andir said:
NJ5 said:
robjoh said:

Informing people?

"pure PS3 bashing"

The software solution is difference of a small percentage in compatibility and it's getting better with every firmware update. The software solution is at the point now where it will surpass the EE hardware for compatibility. Nobody has complained up till this point and I stand by that. It's just a way for people to complain and bash on the PS3. This has nothing to do with "information."

Actually, there have been complaints. They have a list of games that work on the EE-less PS3's in EU, and it doesn't encompass the 99% that the hardware solution does. Not only that, there are games that experience "minor" problems when playing. You can stand-by wrong information all you want, doesn't make it any less false. And this information is GOOD to know.

The thread title is a f*cking joke. If something has no EMOTION, it's kind of cold.

Forget it. Too many people with bugs up their asses to laugh at something. 

Dolla Dolla said:

Actually, there have been complaints. They have a list of games that work on the EE-less PS3's in EU, and it doesn't encompass the 99% that the hardware solution does. Not only that, there are games that experience "minor" problems when playing. You can stand-by wrong information all you want, doesn't make it any less false. And this information is GOOD to know.

The thread title is a f*cking joke. If something has no EMOTION, it's kind of cold.

Forget it. Too many people with bugs up their asses to laugh at something.

Online lists?  Any links?  So far I have not heard of any issues.  But I only speak English, so I'm assuming it's only the non-English games that have issues or only non-English folks complaining about it.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php