By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New 80GB PS3 Gives Us The Cold Shoulder

Lingyis said:
Steve 3.2 said:
This was a long time coming. It's a quick way for Sony to save on the costs and in the long run most people won't care. If you really have to have PS1/PS2 compatibility, go get a PS2.

good point.

similarly, the wii should do away with its GC controllers slots. nobody buys GC games anyway these days, so why bother.

apparently some VC games use them, but it really is a minor issue.

good for 360 that has none of this backward compatibility worries.

While Nintendo could do so (and I wouldn't put it past them when Wii 2 comes out), the GameCube controller can actually be used by current Wii games.  (SSBB being a prime example.)  I don't think the same can be said between PS3 games and PS2 controllers.  And the Wii's backwards compatibility comes from the fact that it uses the same family of processors as the GameCube.  There are no extra chips in the Wii to make this work.  So it's not like Nintendo is sticking a lot of extra money into the Wii to get GC games to run on it.  I'm sure the ports add only about $5-10 to the cost.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network
Steve 3.2 said:
Lingyis said:
Steve 3.2 said:
This was a long time coming. It's a quick way for Sony to save on the costs and in the long run most people won't care. If you really have to have PS1/PS2 compatibility, go get a PS2.

good point.

similarly, the wii should do away with its GC controllers slots. nobody buys GC games anyway these days, so why bother.

While Nintendo could do so (and I wouldn't put it past them when Wii 2 comes out), the GameCube controller can actually be used by current Wii games.  (SSBB being a prime example.)  I don't think the same can be said between PS3 games and PS2 controllers.  And the Wii's backwards compatibility comes from the fact that it uses the same family of processors as the GameCube.  There are no extra chips in the Wii to make this work.  So it's not like Nintendo is sticking a lot of extra money into the Wii to get GC games to run on it.  I'm sure the ports add only about $5-10 to the cost.

I just wish they would add NES controller slots, then i could play my NES games like they was meant to be played!

robjoh said:
What is the point with this thread more than pure PS3 bashing?

Informing people?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Steve 3.2 said:
Lingyis said:
Steve 3.2 said:

good point.

Thank you.  Really, the fact of the matter is that Sony is doing the best for compatability that they can without harming themselves unnecessarily.  There are justifiable costs and unjustifiable ones, and the EE is in the later catagory.  Frankly, the fact that the lack of GC controller ports was even compared to the lack of the EE is ASININE considering that you'd have 0 backwards compatability in one situation and 72% (and rising) in the other.  People need to learn how to be reasonable rather than simply ignorant.

Oh, and I'd be shocked if those ports cost more than $2-3.  God forbid we compare them to the ~$30 of the EE.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ChichiriMuyo said:
Steve 3.2 said:
Lingyis said:
Steve 3.2 said:

good point.

While Nintendo could do so (and I wouldn't put it past them when Wii 2 comes out), the GameCube controller can actually be used by current Wii games. (SSBB being a prime example.) I don't think the same can be said between PS3 games and PS2 controllers. And the Wii's backwards compatibility comes from the fact that it uses the same family of processors as the GameCube. There are no extra chips in the Wii to make this work. So it's not like Nintendo is sticking a lot of extra money into the Wii to get GC games to run on it. I'm sure the ports add only about $5-10 to the cost.

Thank you. Really, the fact of the matter is that Sony is doing the best for compatability that they can without harming themselves unnecessarily. There are justifiable costs and unjustifiable ones, and the EE is in the later catagory. Frankly, the fact that the lack of GC controller ports was even compared to the lack of the EE is ASININE considering that you'd have 0 backwards compatability in one situation and 72% (and rising) in the other. People need to learn how to be reasonable rather than simply ignorant.

Oh, and I'd be shocked if those ports cost more than $2-3. God forbid we compare them to the ~$30 of the EE.

Do you think it's reasonable to release a model which has 20 GB more, an "old" game which is available for beans 2nd hand, and worse BC than the cheaper model?

If I wanted a PS3 now, I'd buy the 60 GB model just for the BC alone... Maybe that's Sony's strategy to make the cheaper version sell?

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
robjoh said:

Informing people?

"pure PS3 bashing"

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

NJ5 said:

Do you think it's reasonable to release a model which has 20 GB more, an "old" game which is available for beans 2nd hand, and worse BC than the cheaper model?

If I wanted a PS3 now, I'd buy the 60 GB model just for the BC alone... Maybe that's Sony's strategy to make the cheaper version sell?

All of the PS3s are going in this direction.  By the time the new 80GB version hits stores, the 60 GB models will have had their EE chips removed too.  If BC is really important to you, but your PS3 now before it's too late!

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Steve 3.2 said:
NJ5 said:

All of the PS3s are going in this direction. By the time the new 80GB version hits stores, the 60 GB models will have had their EE chips removed too. If BC is really important to you, but your PS3 now before it's too late!

I don't understand what you mean... Do you think they'll sell all their existing 60 GB stock until August?

Andir said:
NJ5 said:
robjoh said:

Informing people?

"pure PS3 bashing"

I see my sense of humor is lost on the lot of you. Next time I'll tone it down.

And yes, this article is informing you of the changes being made to the PS3 in case you didn't know they are removing the EE chip and using software emulation, which is not as comprehensive with backwards compatibility as the hardware solution. 

Lingyis said:
Steve 3.2 said:

good point.

similarly, the wii should do away with its GC controllers slots.  nobody buys GC games anyway these days, so why bother. 

I think this is a strange comment.  Uh, I have about 30 GC games.  And I still play them.  And I like using the controllers they games were designed for, as well as I like the GC wavebird controllers better than the classic controller.  If it's an issue of not liking to look at the controller slots, then never open the cover.  If it's about added cost to the Wii, it's a very low number I am sure, and worth it for those that want to play their GC games with their GC controllers.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)