By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In America- Why? 360 vs. Wii/PS3

It's been bugging me for the longest time. When I go to Gamestop.com, or an actual Game Stop store, or some gaming websites, random 360 games get huge amount of hype where Wii games (and I guess I should include PS3 games,) get no hype at all.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but it really annoys me.

Lost Odyssey, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, Army of Two, Crackdown, to name a few, are games that were way overhyped. From what I've seen they got the scores they deserve (like, in the 7-8.9 range,) and even after my friends bought the games they agreed that they were really over hyped and didn't desreve to sell that much.

The fact that the 360 is getting tons of games in the first place where the other consoles aren't is the first thing that ticks me off, and the second is that 360 games that aren't all that great sell a lot better than they deserve, where some Wii and PS3 games that are great don't sell too well (No More Heroes, great game, and its sales were poop.)

Stores and websites that overhype 360 games also hurt the other consoles- the Wii is finally going to get a ton of 3rd Party support in the upcoming year (http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=39727 is the link to upcoming Wii games,) and I just fear that they're not going to sell aswell as they deserve because of other overhyped, and overrated 360 games. I'm not much a PS3 fan (thought I own one,) and I feel like the same is going to happen to the PS3. What are your thoughts?

Around the Network

Its patriotism to Microsoft.

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

If developers/publishers actually felt like hyping up or advertising their Wii or PS3 games, they might sell their games better. Sure, games like Lair and Haze got tons of hype and advertising, but the sales ended up worse than they might have been otherwise because the games themselves turned out bad.

Don't blame the 360 for a Wii or PS3 game selling poorly. It's childish.

MontanaHatchet said:

If developers/publishers actually felt like hyping up or advertising their Wii or PS3 games, they might sell their games better. Sure, games like Lair and Haze got tons of hype and advertising, but the sales ended up worse than they might have been otherwise because the games themselves turned out bad.

Don't blame the 360 for a Wii or PS3 game selling poorly. It's childish.

Obviously if publishers advertised their games they'd sell better, I understand that much. I'm not blaming the 360 either, I'm blaming various websites and stores.

These things have more to do with the stores relationship with the game/console sales reps.

For example the Futureshop (canadian Best Buy) at one of the busiest corners in all of Canada (Yonge and Dundas) has a PS3 display facing the cashier and the main aisles, while the 360 display is in the back of the store almost hidden. They also have a Sony TV playing PS3 demo's such as the MGS4 trailers. Its perfectly setup to highlight the PS3. They also have a 4 foot high Snake statue from the MGS4 launch right at the entrance.

The store did not do this just for the hell of it, my guess is that they have a great relationship with the Sony reps. Give a manager a free Sony TV or PS3 and they'll have no problems highlighting your products.

On the other hand, at the Best Buy across the street, the store seems more MS friendly, with the 360 games fully in the open near the service desk while Nintendo and PS3 games are lined up in aisles in the corner.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

Stores where I go are usually fair to all consoles (except for those GC prices, WTF?)

However, most websites hype the 360 more than anything. The PS3 actually gets the least love sometimes.

The Wii...well, it gets reviews, but some guys like to spend their time reviewing games NOBODY wants and not reviewing the games everyone does. For example, no DBZ: Tenkaichi 3 review, but we go waste our time reviewing Jenga: World Tour...........

One reason 360 games get the most hype is because they actually release information. Wii stuff is mostly withheld and Sony stuff is mostly delayed. The 360 hype comes with all the time lapsed from revelation to release.

Above all things, there is bias, which goes into the 360 reviews. Hence, why GameDaily said the RROD-laden 360 is the greatest system of all-time, and had the best controller, you know, the one that deep throats the life out of your batteries.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

gebx said:

These things have more to do with the stores relationship with the game/console sales reps.

For example the Futureshop (canadian Best Buy) at one of the busiest corners in all of Canada (Yonge and Dundas) has a PS3 display facing the cashier and the main aisles, while the 360 display is in the back of the store almost hidden. They also have a Sony TV playing PS3 demo's such as the MGS4 trailers. Its perfectly setup to highlight the PS3. They also have a 4 foot high Snake statue from the MGS4 launch right at the entrance.

The store did not do this just for the hell of it, my guess is that they have a great relationship with the Sony reps. Give a manager a free Sony TV or PS3 and they'll have no problems highlighting your products.

On the other hand, at the Best Buy across the street, the store seems more MS friendly, with the 360 games fully in the open near the service desk while Nintendo and PS3 games are lined up in aisles in the corner.

Doesn't Best Buy corporation own Future Shop now?

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

gebx said:

Pity, that futureshop sucks. I mean it was much better back in the old location. Do you remember the old location? Also I know what you are talking about, the 360 stuff are really hidden...took my awhile to notice it.

Also at Bestbuy the 360 stuff are thrown into your face. I was like whoa...where are the ps3 stuff. The ps3 in that store has a very limited selection. The wii stuff is actually right across from the 360 hardware and accessories.

Also Bestbuy owns futureshop!

Acevil said:
gebx said:

Pity, that futureshop sucks. I mean it was much better back in the old location. Do you remember the old location? Also I know what you are talking about, the 360 stuff are really hidden...took my awhile to notice it.

Also at Bestbuy the 360 stuff are thrown into your face. I was like whoa...where are the ps3 stuff. The ps3 in that store has a very limited selection. The wii stuff is actually right across from the 360 hardware and accessories.

Also Bestbuy owns futureshop!

Ah yeah, it was right next to the strip club!

Maybe its a corporate strategy to push one console in one store and the other console in the other but I don't see how that would make sense. Even if the stores are owned by the same corporate body, both stores would be managed by different people.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

It makes me kind of upset too. For the past couple of months I would go to my Fry's and there'd be little to no PS3s, but a good amount of Elites, Arcades, and Pros...yet all their ads show multiplats with the 360 version in front of the PS3 version....not side-by-side, but pasted right on top of the PS3 version (with the PLAYSTATION3 logo poking out of the left side, other than that, full 360 box art), so unless you know the game is multiplat, you'd think it was 360 exclusive.......