By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My thoughts on the PS3 in 2009 - 2010!!

nice post megaman2.

One thing I'd like to add to your post however is; How much by end 2009 or early 2010 is an independent Blu-Ray player going to cost?

The cheapest one I can find currently is $230 for a Sony 1080p blu-ray player.

If by late 09 they come down to under $100, which is possible, the draw of buying a PS3 because of it's Blu-Ray ability is minimal (To me).

Blu-ray Is very mportant to the PS3, however by late next year, early 2010, prices for stand alone units will be much more affordable and the importance of blu-ray in the ps3 will only work with games requiring more then 3 or 4 DVD 9's - not so much for blu-ray movies.

By 2009, PS3 will most definetly be selling better then what it does in 2008.

So, as I am pointing out, when I finally go HD, which wont be until end 2009, probably early 2010, I will be still trying to decide which of the HD consles to buy. It WILL most likely all come down to excluive games as a Blu-Ray player in my PS3 will be null because I would have a Stand alone Blu-Ray player anyway.

Hope this was the sort of intelligent post you are wanting.

And agin, I do think your post was wel presented.

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Around the Network
atma998 said:
Maybe 2 or 3 games of your list will be million seller... so doesn't look like a real threat for the competition.

You have no good basis with which to say that any of that just about any of those games will definitely sell under a million.

CGI-Quality said:
Oh yea i forgot MEGAMAN SUP BUDDY GREAT THREAD AS USUAL!!!!!!!!!!!

lolll thanks man! 

@ brown gangsta

Tekken 5 barely sold 1 million with a user base of 100-120 mil PS2.
Killzone sold near 700k with the same userbase so it leaves Uncharted and God of War who can sell 1 or 2 millions on the long run (it depends of the legs). Look that I was right when I said 2-3 games on the list will be million seller. I bet that a lot of shovelware on the Wii will do better.

@ CGI-Quality

about Sony dominating the market for a 3rd time in a row... lol this is just too funny to answer anything to that.

atma998 said:
@ brown gangsta

Tekken 5 barely sold 1 million with a user base of 100-120 mil PS2.
Killzone sold near 700k with the same userbase so it leaves Uncharted and God of War who can sell 1 or 2 millions on the long run (it depends of the legs). Look that I was right when I said 2-3 games on the list will be million seller. I bet that a lot of shovelware on the Wii will do better.

@ CGI-Quality

about Sony dominating the market for a 3rd time in a row... lol this is just too funny to answer anything to that.

correction Tekken 5 has sold around 4.3 million copies (note that the game was first released in February 2005).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tekken_5#Critical_response

killzone was not a good game, it was a game full of glitches. However this does not determine the peformance of killzone 2, killzone 2 will easily sel 3m+.

gow3 and uncharted 2 will do extremely wll, as to this day uncharted us still selling well and approaching 2m in its first year of release. GOW1 AND GOW2 have both sol 5m+ together in the last year of the ps2 in terms of software releases and was therefor overlooked. Both games have great legs and will do very well.

This is the sony forum, this thread is about the ps3 not wii don't confuse yourself if you want to post about the wii go to the nintendo forums, its that simple no need for trolling comments!

if you find a serious statement made by another vg chartz member too be funny, please dont post in my threads as youre wasting everybody's time, now dissapear!

Around the Network
playnext3 said:
they all are great exclusive

man these games are going to make me poor!

eliasg said:
nice thread mate , but doesnt mean that i agree with you...

taking one look at your avatar, yeh i'd figure you wouldnt agree with him.

megaman2 said:

2008 has been a great year for the ps3, with many great games out and on the horizon. The continious improvement of the PSN network, the introduction of the video service, improved PSN store offering full games, and the inclusion of Home in 2008. ALL adds up to 2008 being a great year!

But 2009 will be the year where the ps3 really differentiates itself from the Xbox 360. I have come to this conclusion because of 3 factors, they are: 

• Exclusive games (How is this different from 2008/2007/2006 etc)
  • Growing demand for HD
  • The rise of the PSN network (How does this differentiate again? Live = PSN)

I will analyse each factor and explain what effect they will have in 2009 and beyond.

2009 may possibly be the best year for the PS3 in terms of exclusive games, so much so I personally believe the 2009 ps3 lineup will be unmatched in terms of scale and creativity. The games stated to be released in 2009 are:

God of War III (March 09 or Dec 09)
MAG (Q2)
White Knight Chronicles (Apr 09)
Twisted Metal PS3 (Q4)
Killzone 2 (Feb 09)
Uncharted 2 (Q3 - Q4)
inFamous. (March 09)
DC Universe Online
The Agency
Heavy Rain. (Q2)
L.A Noire (Q2 - Q3)
Tekken 6 (Q1 - Q2)
Wardevil. (Q4)
Wipeout HD. (Q3- Q4)
Team Ico Project. (Q4)

As you see from that list, you can understand why I came to my conclusion. That the ps3 lineup for 2009 will be the best in terms of scale and innovation.

How so? 6 are sequels, and one is based on a Licence. Furthermore some of those will likely be pushed into 2010. Most likely the Wii will take that title.

The demand for HD is continiously growing at a rapid speed, with more and more consumers switching to HD format televisions. I really believe that 2009 will be a peak year as HD tv's prices slowly go down with the growth of blu ray format and its blu ray players. As more and more people start to adjust to the conversion of dvd's to Blu ray, it will be 2010 that we will see a major shift from dvd to Blu ray.

2009/2010 will see Blu Ray player prices drop below $200 so the price/feature advantage of having Blu Ray diminishes not increases with time.

All this demand for HD, makes the sacrifice that Sony made to include the Blu ray software in their games consoles a great business idea. as both blu ray will not only be a great incentive for consumers to purchase the ps3, but it helps gaming. With the blu ray software gaming can be made using greater resources as evident with MGS4, only possible on the ps3!

And finally the PSN network, when the PSN network initially launched with the ps3 in 2006 it was ridiculed by many gamers as not being a good enough service. Now 2 years laters with may updated and changes the PSN network has become a serious competitor to the Xbox live service. The PSn network offers gamers a video service, trophies, the ability to purchase full games from the PSN store e.g GT5p. A new music service is on the horizin stated to be released in 2009, possible update where gamers can have the ability to capture images regardless of the game they are playing.  What is so remarkable about the PSN network its free, a real bonus for those who only play online once in a while!

Xbox 360 music service will be out in 2008 with access to satelite radio in game/out of game and the ability to stream 12,000 titles from netflix.

And we must not forget Playstation Home:

"Is a community-based service for the PlayStation Network which has been in development since early 2005. Home allows users to create an avatar for their PlayStation 3 console. This avatar will get their own virtual apartment space, which can then be adorned with items users can receive in several different ways. In the future the service will also expand, allowing players to have more sorts of clothing or bigger apartments. Sony wants to give people the tools to create their own things, but they also want a safe place for younger users to feel comfortable."

Yawn, Ubisoft Petz will be bigger.

Playstation will force Microsoft to rethink their strategy of charging for their online service. the real benefit of Playstation Home is that brings added value to the Ps3, making it an essential purchase for consumers.

Microsoft already killed half the things Sony wanted to do with the PS3 operating system by forcing them to reallocate memory from the OS and make it available to games developers. You want them to make it free? Who would use PSN if Live was free? :P

Looking at 2010:

In 2010 we will see one the best selling franchises Gran turismo 5, the much aniticaped driving simulator. Many ps3 owners have been waiting for this game, when this game is released as history has indicated sales will explode!

One problem, GT has never really had a serious competitor up until now. Forza 2 sold 4 million copies, if Forza 3 sells 5+ then one could say the market for racing simulation games has been split and the sales potential of GT will be reduced along with it.

We may possibly see FFv released in 2010, this is another great game which will do well in Japan. When releaseD the game will create a hardware boost!

The rockstar exclusive (not L.A Noire)

"We might not see it until 2009 or 2010. By then, any AAA ps3 game will be so massive in scope that iit won't fit on a DVD, only Blu ray disc. Maybe that's why Shorrock was saying the mysteious franchise would only be playable on the ps3" 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9751999-1.html

With 2008 shaping up to be a great year, it’s just a taste of what to come in 2009 and 2010.

Thank you for your time.

If you do not agree with me please post in an intelligent matter why, so we can have a sensible discussion, thank you!

No problems.

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:
@ atma

The only thing funny is your incorrect posts about PS2 sales lol and the fact that your posts are not wanted in here LIKE I SAID YOU R SCARED OF SONY WINNING FOR A 3RD TIME lol - Yea so now like Megaman said take your trolling and BE GONE this is the Sony thread bud so "Hit the road Jack, and don't ya come back no more, No More, NO MORE, NO MORE!!!!!!!!!

lol i told him earlier to get lost/

I like how you made assumptions about release dates for games in order to spread out the exclusives love over the course of next year, in particular Uncharted 2, The Agency (I thought it was scraped), God of War 3 and Team Ico's project.

Also, I'd be interested to see Blu-ray to HD TV attach rates, because of the PS3 owners I know in person (including myself) only 1 of them I would consider a Blu-ray Buyer (the rest haven't except one guy to see what 1080p was like).

I would also like to see what the rise of HD TV sales are like from last year. Obviously people who's TVs are at the end of their life will opt for HD if they can (That's the only reason I bought a HD tv) for future-proof reasons. But considering that alot of countries have very limited HD channels with UNIQUE content from the SD versions, I don't see many opting for it unless they are actually out for a new TV.

Rockstar exclusive game: Well considering how well table tennis and bully have done compared to the monster that is Grand Theft Auto, I doubt this "big" exclusive will be as important as say GT5 or GoW3.

Playstation Home: I don't like to comment on things without it being released yet, but honestly, I don't see how people can still count on this to be a big thing for the PS3. Look at MS, everything you want is done by lists and you can just select the option, but in HOME you are forced to move your 3D avatar into those areas to access the same menu's. They may allow for a 2D list version, but that defeats the purpose of home to begin with right?

Also, why would somebody buy a $699 (RRP in AUD) for a console for HOME when second life gives the exact same thing (with less bugs and a bigger community) for free?

I actually agree with you that 09-10 will be big for PS3, but you've only said one thing I agree with. Here's what'll make (or break) PS3 in those years:
- Exclusive games (if they drop in 09/10 they are late, but not necessarily too late to swing the tide)
- Price Drop (It will happen, and it will do wonders for PS3 sales)