By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP 3000's hottest feature: Reduced battery life

IIRC you can also charge the PSP through the USB port so you can get one of those newfangled portable battery/usb charger combo's for longer trips.

(Or, obviously, just a USB cable if you have access to a laptop/pc)

Not that this makes up for the fact that PSP battery life can be a tad short for some things. Although, seriously, four-five hours of continuous use is really plenty for most likely uses of the device. (Yes it's short and yes you get a 'ok, it needs charging... again!' feeling from time to time but it's not as earth shattering as some people make it out to be)

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
skeezer said:
I don't see what the BIG deal is >_<

DS lite has a battery power of 20 hours, give or take. PSP has a battery life of 10 hours playing games, 12 hours playing music (with the screen off) and 3 hours playing movies.

DS has two screens and it's battery power is double that of PSP, kind of sad dontcha think?

lol -- do you even own a DS?

20 hours... 20 hours ...

7 - 9 hours is the best you will get out of a DS. My DS lite often runs out of battery in around 5 hours (but its a few year old now )...

As for PSP the battery lasts between 4 and 6 hours... which to put it simply isn't good enough.

In the end imho both PSP and DS need to improve battery life. Recharable built-in batteries are nice, but having recharge my handhelds once and day when im playing games isn' fun ...

Turn the brightness down (which I do for the DS) and avoid using UMDs. I always take the DS power adapter on trips, so nothing would change. The DS battery has a way of dying otherwise unless you simply don't use the thing.

But three years later, the decision to go with a proprietary optical format for a portable still seems like the worst flaw of the PSP. Moving parts in general for a hand held gaming device is not the best design.

I'd much rather have all my games and video media on one 8GB memory stick for travel rather than carry a bunch of game cards or cartridge discs.

I'm still buying a PSP-3000. The screen looks a lot better regardless of any negative spin. It's unfortunate that the extra brightness and clarity comes at the cost of battery power though.

I'm wondering if the rate of power consumption is similar to the PSP-2001 when set to the same brightness. I wouldn't be surprised if it were.

If it's really an issue, 2400mAh batteries are readily available from 3rd party vendors.

OMG 30mins lost... How can the world survive. I have the original psp and the battery life is not that bad. I get over 10hrs easy. Other than that I charge it like everything else. Seriously 30mins reduction is probably a reduction from the updated battery which has more charge than the original battery - so in essence is probably like the original battery anyways.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

I'm starting to think that the reason why Sony stopped selling the 2400mAh batteries is because they could be fairly easily be converted into Pandora batteries.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a redesigned high capacity battery being sold by Sony in the near future.

But a quick check online already tells me that high capacity third party batteries are available now and for less than the 1200mAh batteries sold by Sony.

Around the Network

PSP 3000 WILL BE GREAT I CANT WAIT

Deviation59 said:
twesterm said:
You know, after seeing the PSP3000 I was actually seriously thinking of picking one up December-ish. It's finally starting to have a library I could like and I figured I could put some movies on it for plane rides and such (should have a 13 or so hour one in a few months).

One of biggest things besides games that has stopped me from getting a PSP is the battery life or lack of battery life. Guess I'll hold off even longer for one.

If 20 minutes of battery life is the reason you're not getting one, then you were never going to get one. I hate fake bullshit posts like this.

If the battery life were more than 10 hours then 30 minutes wouldn't bother me.  When the battery life is closer to 6 hours or less, then it bothers me.

@Dogs Rule

I know what games are on the PSP, there's no need to paste a huge list to try and impress me because it doesn't.

Looks like it just got less attractive.

Who'd want to play at low brightness anyways? That's like eating the bad part of the beef and throw away the good part.