By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP 3000's hottest feature: Reduced battery life

@TWRoO

No, the battery power for the PSP is terrible. And it's even worse if you're watching a movie on it. Honestly, I didn't think they could make the battery life any weaker. If anyone's going to buy a PSP, buy one of the older models. They should drop in price a bit when this new one hits the shelves so that would kinda be a good deal. But if you really want a lasting portable player, the DS is the one to get.

Around the Network

The screen sucking more power is not the real problem, if the effect is as dramatic as images make out it would be worth it. Really the problem is that UMD drive. The PSP has decent battery life if your watching movies or listening to music off of a stick but the instant you start using the drive the life just collapses. It is very annoying that one of the best things you can do to make your PSP work better is get into custom firmware and move your games to sticks. I have never done it and it may have some other downside, beyond the potential of bricking the thing, but it sure sounds tempting when your going to be taking a long trip. If Sony could come up with some sort of DRM system to secure games on sticks they could really make up for the problems with the PSP.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

I had a feeling that it would have reduced battery life. Never had problems with mine, although I barely play mines anyway.

@smallflyingtaco
They are releasing more and more games themselves on the PSN. So they are now circumventing UMD themselves on certain games.

That's kind of a double edged sword with the whole the UMD sucks the battery life thing.

It's nice to hear since I would use the PSP primarily for movies and probably old NES/SNES games (I already own of course) but it's also upsetting because that would discourage me from actually getting any PSP games since those use the UMD.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
You know, after seeing the PSP3000 I was actually seriously thinking of picking one up December-ish. It's finally starting to have a library I could like and I figured I could put some movies on it for plane rides and such (should have a 13 or so hour one in a few months).

One of biggest things besides games that has stopped me from getting a PSP is the battery life or lack of battery life. Guess I'll hold off even longer for one.

If 20 minutes of battery life is the reason you're not getting one, then you were never going to get one. I hate fake bullshit posts like this.

^
Hardware problems have the natural tendency to scare people away from a purchase. The RRoD and disc-scratching of the XBox 360 is the reason why I haven't picked one up yet. A dismal battery life is brutal for a handheld gaming system and cutting some of that limited battery life to churn out another model is just depressing.

By the way, your avatar ROCKS!

twesterm said:
That's kind of a double edged sword with the whole the UMD sucks the battery life thing.

It's nice to hear since I would use the PSP primarily for movies and probably old NES/SNES games (I already own of course) but it's also upsetting because that would discourage me from actually getting any PSP games since those use the UMD.

Here are the games you have legal acces to via your PS3 or PC for your PSP bipassing a need for UMDs and therefore putting a small drain on your battery:

EDITED out

So... the library lasts for like... 1.5 hours now?

Guess i'm getting a wall plug with mine for sure.

i have no problem with the battery life of the PSP !
enough power to run a UMD while having the LCD on for 4.5 hours for the least is fckn amazing !
it is perfect !