By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP 3000's hottest feature: Reduced battery life

[Source Destructoid]

PSP 3000's hottest feature: Reduced battery life
by Jim Sterling on 08.29.2008 16 comments

Oh facepalm, Sony. Facepalm. The PSP 3000 is looking really hot, with a built-in microphone and an improved screen, but there's a trade-off, and it's not a good one. Yes, for all the new PSP's sexy features, there is one thing that simply won't ever improve -- the crummy battery life, which will actually be reduced by up to thirty minutes.

I adore my PSP, but if I could have any improvement, if I could choose just one thing to fix, it would be the handheld's battery. My PSP can't last me an entire office shift, or even half a plane ride, while the Nintendo DS can chug along for hours and hours without breaking a sweat. The last thing I need to know is that the PSP 3000 will have even less life. 

"Battery life will decrease by a small amount. It's about 20 minutes, maybe 30 minutes, and that's because there's a larger power draw with the brighter screen," confessed SCEA's John Koller.

Half an hour may not be a big deal to some, but when we're talking about the PSP, half an hour's power can make a difference. I already push my old school PSP to the limit, so this news has hampered my interest in upgrading somewhat. Having a prettier screen is useless if I don't have the juice to handle it.

MORE IN OUR ZOMG Jim moar anti-Sony bias ZOMG SECTION

Around the Network

You know, after seeing the PSP3000 I was actually seriously thinking of picking one up December-ish. It's finally starting to have a library I could like and I figured I could put some movies on it for plane rides and such (should have a 13 or so hour one in a few months).

One of biggest things besides games that has stopped me from getting a PSP is the battery life or lack of battery life. Guess I'll hold off even longer for one.

Don't offices have power outlets? Mine does. Do planes have some? (a slight fear of flying keeps me grounded, so I don't really remember)

I've never really had battery problems with mine.

Reduced battery power? Man, that's brutal. Like, we're talking Dethphone level brutal.

is it really necessary to make the title like this?

do you know PSP has the option to set the brightness of the screen?

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Around the Network

I don't see what the BIG deal is >_

^_^

Dogs Rule said:
Don't offices have power outlets? Mine does. Do planes have some? (a slight fear of flying keeps me grounded, so I don't really remember)

Offices usually do, planes don't as far as I know (though I haven't flown on anything larger than a 757 in years).

And I know these things can be recharged but my problem is I don't like having to take a charger around with me because I lose them so easily (I'm pretty absent minded).  With my DS, I can take a trip to Austin and not even worry about my charger.  If I got the new PSP, I would have to take my charger with me everywhere I go and always have it plugged in while not in use.

I don't like hassles.

Dogs Rule said:

It's called the PSPortable.... now you have to carry a power lead with it?

I don't have one, but I thought the PSP had a decent-ish battery life anyway... like 8-9 hours isn't it, or is that the old-old PSP?

I don't think it was (or should be) a big surprise that this was coming, they didn't change up the battery for the new one (from the old) with all these new features.

I was planning to buy one anyway, but this certainly does make this playstation less portable.

TWRoO said:
Dogs Rule said:

It's called the PSPortable.... now you have to carry a power lead with it?

I don't have one, but I thought the PSP had a decent-ish battery life anyway... like 8-9 hours isn't it, or is that the old-old PSP?

I know what you mean, Twroo, but a) the power supply is quite small and b) you would only ever need to bring it with you if you are already travelling a great deal, meaning you are probably already lugging around luggage, a bag or a briefcase.

I have no real complaints (or exacts stats) about my batery life. Running games downloaded off the PSN and stored on the memory card drains the system very slowly, Running games that require a umd to spin alot drains it faster, but nothing too dramatic. I keep my screen pretty dim though.