By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony introducing the first ever 240Hz LCD TV and the world’s thinnest TV.

Hmm. Very nice.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

i want so bad
wish they had a 40' model for 699$ :(

BottledSpringWater said:
How would a 240Hz TV translate into playing a game that's 30 frames per second?
Can't TV's now that are 50-60Hz display a game without any problems, what would the extra 100+ Hz do?
Oh man, I'm really sounding like an idiot right now.

Most video is recorded at 24 frames per second yet your TV refreshes (in the US) at 60 frames per second.  Notice how the frames are not perfectly aligned such that 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly?  Special software in your TV (known as 2:3 or 3:2 pulldown) introduces and/or removes frames to compensate allowing the image to to be displayed.

At 120 hz (and 240 hz) the 24 frames per second movie can be displayed smoothly 5 times (or 10 times) over with no need to special software to sync things up.  Basically you get a smoother picture when the camera moves or during heavy on screen motion.  

120 hz should be more than adequate though.   240 hz just seems like a marketing "my numbers are bigger" type deal.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
BottledSpringWater said:
How would a 240Hz TV translate into playing a game that's 30 frames per second?
Can't TV's now that are 50-60Hz display a game without any problems, what would the extra 100+ Hz do?
Oh man, I'm really sounding like an idiot right now.

Most video is recorded at 24 frames per second yet your TV refreshes (in the US) at 60 frames per second.  Notice how the frames are not perfectly aligned such that 24 doesn't go into 60 evenly?  Special software in your TV (known as 2:3 or 3:2 pulldown) introduces and/or removes frames to compensate allowing the image to to be displayed.

At 120 hz (and 240 hz) the 24 frames per second movie can be displayed smoothly 5 times (or 10 times) over with no need to special software to sync things up.  Basically you get a smoother picture when the camera moves or during heavy on screen motion.  

120 hz should be more than adequate though.   240 hz just seems like a marketing "my numbers are bigger" type deal.

Nicely done. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

OLED is better than this thin LCD... yet I'm still waiting for the fabled $1000 50inch Laser HDTV that's supposed to own everything. I'm also waiting for the announcement of a 50 inch SED TV.

Around the Network

I would end up wlking into it sideways.

I like my 20inch Toshiba SDTV from 1999

Its gray and matchs my Gamecube. :O

Jo21 said:
i want so bad
wish they had a 40' model for 699$ :(

...dang, actually, that's way cheaper than I paid for my Sammy.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Knowing Sony TV's, it will cost an Arm and a Leg

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

120 Hz is plenty...I don't see a benefit in 240 Hz.

The human eye can't detect much past 60 fps anyway. I can get 240 fps in Counter Strike Source, but it'll look the same to my eye as 60, so whatever.

More contrast, more blackness, more thin TVs, but most importantly cheaper TVs and monitors are what I want.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

motion flow in useless in video games - it causes a lag in the picture of one frame.

A 30hz game will have a 1/30th of a second delay when motion flow is used.

It is only good for in movies since they dont require real time visual feedback.

The only way to get motion flow in games is simply to make the games run at 50 or 60hz from the box.

I can easy spot difference between 30 and 60 Hz but 60 and 120 hz not so sure.
120 to 240hz is probably not going to be even noticable it's puerly prestige factor.

As for contrast ratio anything over 2000:1 is pretty much pointless - digital TV images use 24(8bit RGB) bit color the extra contrast is pretty much useless unless color is 48(16bit rgb) bit and then it exceeds what is perceptable anyway. You are better off considering the maximum brightness since that produces a far more appealing and lively image.

PS3 number 1 fan