By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MSN: Why Mario should retire

I agree. Nintendo out to go into the dairy business because the way the milk Mario is regretfully superb. The Disney thing is well worth mentioning. Even now many will not buy Nintendo b/c of the way it's Mario this and that. Mario Soccer, Baseball, Galaxy, DK, 64, Sunshine, DS, paper Mario, Super remakes, remakes of remakes. For what it's worth, though, an icon is eternal but Mario is not gaming. He is a main character of many games. Mario will go out with not a bang but a whimper.

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:
I agree. Nintendo out to go into the dairy business because the way the milk Mario is regretfully superb. The Disney thing is well worth mentioning. Even now many will not buy Nintendo b/c of the way it's Mario this and that. Mario Soccer, Baseball, Galaxy, DK, 64, Sunshine, DS, paper Mario, Super remakes, remakes of remakes. For what it's worth, though, an icon is eternal but Mario is not gaming. He is a main character of many games. Mario will go out with not a bang but a whimper.

Care to name the most recent remake of a Mario game? There has never been a remake of a remake to my knowlede but I will let you slide on that one. Last I recall was 4 years ago, and it was of the game that defined 3D platformers as a genre.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Well, it's Nintendo's decision when to pull the plug, and with near all Mario titles reaching 1 mil, and MK recently reaching 7 mil, I don't think it will happen for a while.

Lol, I'm sorry I can't stomach that, or I couldn't stomach that - I read the title saw it was from Microsoft and then the words from the Microsoft gaming CEO about how he wished Microsoft had a Halo like silver bullet that Nintendo had in Mario for the new audience just reverberated in my mind.

The title just made me laugh.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

"Mario should retire"

If MS was to buy out the Mario IP.... I have a feeling they would milk it for all it's worth..... that's assuming that Nintendo would even sell it.... which I just don't ever see happening....

Mario is a Gold mine. He's the face of gaming... If Mario is gone, that's because Nintendo died 10 years earlier....

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
halogamer1989 said:

Care to name the most recent remake of a Mario game? There has never been a remake of a remake to my knowlede but I will let you slide on that one. Last I recall was 4 years ago, and it was of the game that defined 3D platformers as a genre.

Paper Mario: 1000 yr door GC, Paper Mario, Paper Mario DS

BTW, here's a list worth looking at:

[edit] 1982

• Donkey Kong (Atari 2600) - North America release
  • Donkey Kong (ColecoVision) - North America release
  • Donkey Kong (Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release
  • Donkey Kong (Intellivision) - North America and Japan release
  • Donkey Kong Junior (Arcade) - North America and Japan release
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (Atari 2600) - Europe release
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release

[edit] 1983

• Donkey Kong (Atari 8-bit/Apple II/Commodore 64/MS-DOS ) - North America release
  • Donkey Kong (Famicom) - Japan release
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (ColecoVision/Atari 2600) - North America release
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (INTV/VIC-20) - North America and Japan release
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (Famicom) - Japan release
  • Mario Bros. (Arcade/Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release
  • Mario Bros. (Atari 2600, Atari 5200) - North America release
  • Mario Bros. (Famicom) - Japan release
  • Mario's Bombs Away (Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release
  • Mario's Cement Factory (Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release

[edit] 1984

[edit] 1985

• Super Mario Bros. (Famicom/NES) - North America and Japan release
  • Wrecking Crew (Famicom/NES) - North America and Japan release - Mario is the main character.
  • Tennis (NES / PC-8801) - North America - Mario is the referee.

[edit] 1986

• All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (Famicom Disk System) - Japan release
  • Donkey Kong (NES) - North America and Europe release
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (NES) - North America release
  • Golf (Famicom Disk System) - Japan release - Mario is the main character.
  • Golf (NES) - North America and Europe release - Mario is the main character.
  • Mario Bros. (NEC PC-8801) - Japan release
  • Mario Bros. (NES) - North America and Europe release
  • Pinball (NES) - Europe release - Mario is found in the bonus stage.
  • Super Mario Bros. (Famicom Disk System) - Japan release
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom Disk System) - Japan release
  • Super Mario Bros. Special (NEC PC-8801) - Japan release
  • Vs. Super Mario Bros. (Arcade) - North America and Japan release
  • Tennis (NES/FDS) - Europe NES and Japanese FDS release - Mario is the main character.

[edit] 1987

• Donkey Kong Jr. (NES) - Europe release
  • Mario Bros. (ZX Spectrum) - Europe release
  • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Famicom/NES) - North America, Europe and Japan release - Mario is the referee.
  • Super Mario Bros. (NES) - Europe release
  • Wrecking Crew (NES) - Europe release - Mario is the main character.

[edit] 1988

[edit] 1989

• Alleyway (Game Boy) - North America and Japan release - Mario appears in bonus level, also drives/flies/controls the paddle on screen as shown in the intro
  • Donkey Kong 2 (Game & Watch) - North America and Japan release
  • Donkey Kong Classics (NES) - Europe release
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) - Europe and Australia release
  • Super Mario Land (Game Boy) - North America and Japan release
  • Tetris (Famicom/NES) - North America and Japan release - Once player beats Level 9 Height 5, Mario and friends appear.
  • Tetris (Game Boy) - North America and Japan release - Mario and Luigi appear in 2-player game.

[edit] 1990s

[edit] 1990

[edit] 1991

[edit] 1992

[edit] 1993

[edit] 1994

[edit] 1995

[edit] 1996

[edit] 1997

[edit] 1998

[edit] 1999

[edit] 2000s

[edit] 2000

[edit] 2001

[edit] 2002

[edit] 2003

[edit] 2004

[edit] 2005

[edit] 2006

• Game & Watch Collection
  • Mario Party 7 (GameCube) - European and Australia Release
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (Nintendo DS) - European and Australia Release
  • Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo DS) - Chinese release
  • Super Princess Peach (Nintendo DS) - release outside of Japan
  • New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS)
  • Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (Nintendo DS) playable character
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (Nintendo DS) - North American Release - supporting character
  • Yoshi's Island DS (Nintendo DS) - supporting character
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves - December 2 (Wii) - Japanese release - Appears in minigames
  • Mario Bros. - November 19 (Wii Virtual Console (NES))
  • Donkey Kong (Wii Virtual Console (NES))
  • Super Mario Bros. (Wii Virtual Console (NES))
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (Wii Virtual Console (NES))
  • Pinball (Wii Virtual Console (NES))
  • Super Mario 64 (Wii Virtual Console (N64))
  • Mario's Super Picross (Wii Virtual Console (SNES)) - Japanese release

[edit] 2007

[edit] 2008

[edit] Cancelled

[edit] Spin-off franchises

over 200 games. (People talk about other IPs) Milk much?

^^^^ Gotta love the dairy ^_^

4 ≈ One

halogamer1989 said:

over 200 games. (People talk about other IPs) Milk much?

and still sellng like hot cakes after 30 years, can you say the same thing about any other video game character?

i agree there are too many spin-offs but the main mario series is the greatest and the most well known series ever.

my mom never heard of the wii but she still beat super mario bros on nes:P

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

"But despite all of this, and despite the brilliant Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart on the Wii and Super Paper Mario on the DS,"

Super Paper Mario is on DS?!

Fire the editor!

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

Wow Mario has a lot of games out, I feel better knowing I purchased most of those in bundles... oh quick note if you don't like it don't buy it, eventually the company will get the point when the marketability hits 0 and value is in the red. For now your voicing an pointless opinion and rephrasing information to match whatever point your trying to make. (I just did the same thing above.) The only difference is that what I said is true, money speaks louder than your opinion. The world hasn't had enough of Mario and his sequals and spin offs.

Look at it like this, the main line Sequals to Mario's have not been the exact same game in a while, Mario broke into 3d, then went on to use FUD and toss a new dimension into how Mario could be viewed and used and Galaxy showed what imagination can do with physics... wierd how no one mentions how amazing the physics were in that game.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D