By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MSN: Why Mario should retire

I just noticed something else.

This came from the UK MSN site.

Is there something in the water there, because there always seems to be an anti-Nintendo buzz in almost anything video game related that comes out of the UK. (Some of the most anti-Wii tech-based/biased sites are in the UK, for example).

Mike from Morgantown.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Nooo i dont think so...i mean, come on!!! its mario. Brett favre should retire...but not mario :)

Malstrom was saying something akin to this in his Microsoft is King of Vapor post... how Microsoft intentionally kicks up some shit just to start flame wars/agitate fanboys.

MS: "Mario should retire, because we can't compete with it!"

Retirement is meant for things that age.

Look at Superman, Mickey Mouse, Frankenstein, and James Bond. Do they need to retire?

The only downfall these icons can experience is a drop in popularity. Inevitably they will fade into obscurity, only to have someone later bring them back out of the shadows.

Around the Network

Yes, we must retire Mario, so that he doesn't become passe. What a great point ...

It's hard to take a guy seriously when he doesn't even know what he's talking about--placing Super Paper Mario on the DS, or claiming the Wii was the first Nintendo system to launch without a strong Mario title in tow when the Virtual Boy and GameCube both did that first. In a sense, so did the GBA and DS as their launch Mario's were simply ports of older Mario titles (SMB2 and SM64 respectively).

Sure, Nintendo could use the guy a little less (or their other top 3 franchises--Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon) so that we don't tire of him too much more...

But no, I don't think I want to live in a world where fat Italian plumbers fighting monstrous turtle-based monsters is no longer relevent.

Why do gaming journalists post their pictures when they're amazingly dorky looking?

As long as they keep making games like Galaxy , there is absolutely no good reason to retire him.

I can kind of agree that the Mario spin-offs are bad for his image but even suggesting that its time for the Super Mario series to end?

This guy needs a lynch mob of gamers outside of his house and quickly.