By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 should not be so powerful next gen?

I expect to see Sony do better in terms of PS operating systems. If the Xbox360 were to have any advantage over the PS3, it's the operating system (not the interface). MS proved themselves to be a software developing company this gen. Many of the issues the PS3 faces are due to software limitations, nothing else. For example, cross-game chat is harder for Sony to implement due to the OS. Sony's OS in the PS3 does not mandate (from communications, interface, buddy-list, etc) everything like MS's 360 OS does. So is Sony fixes this next gen, with a powerful machine and good line up, they can sweep next gen like they have done the previous two.

Around the Network

dual core cell and 2gb ram and nicer gpu would do great.

Is this CGI's first ever thread? Wow, impressive. You say you're a loyalist, not a fanboy. I was a horrible fanboy back when I joined

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

No. I hope PS4 will launch as a powerful console again - at least $399 launch price.

And hopefully the 'HD consoles' match each other again, being just as powerful so that we keep getting awesome multiplatforms. I'd hate if one of them was significantly slower, because that would make the multiplatforms simplified on the more powerful console too.

This gen is awesome because both HD consoles launched extremely powerful.

deathgod33 said:
hmmm. ps4, 16 core processor, virtual reality helmet, 8gb's of ram, 5 disc cd changer, 8 usb ports with a couple of memory stick readers, faster blu ray read speed, quad layer 100gb blu ray discs, 500gb hardrive. all for $999.

The bolded could be done in late 2012 for $399.  Though they'd only need 4 usb.  16-core processor would basically be Cell times two...but I think it's more likely they'll just use a faster, still 8-core, version of Cell next time.  As long as the GPU and Blu-Ray read speed is much higher, that's what's important.

Around the Network

Couldn't they just make it the same as the PS3 but just put better CPU/GPU/RAM/BR. If they can get the PS3 price down to $99 by the end of this gen I'm sure they could just update all the pieces in it and devs would be used to the hardware and it wouldn't be that big of a console.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and they might redesign it all but why couldn't they just do the above?

blazinhead89 said:
Hmmmm, well PS1 = CD Drive, PS2 = Dvd Drive, PS3 = blu-ray Drive, So PS4=Playstation Cloud

it will use the wand controller, or wand should be a beta for the next gen.

F.U. Fun University.

i think they should worry less about power and more about games look at ps2 weakest console last gen but with the best games.

and now its the strongest, but it has the the worst games
IN MY OPINION

Kantor said:
Is this CGI's first ever thread? Wow, impressive. You say you're a loyalist, not a fanboy. I was a horrible fanboy back when I joined

You were a horrible Xbot, yes. I think your life truely turned around when I granted you permission to buy a PS3 slim...

Tease.