By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 should not be so powerful next gen?

I read an article saying that Sony wants people to take out a second mortgage to buy a PS4.

Seriously though, there is no way the PS4 will be above $400.

Around the Network
Infamy79 said:
CGI-Quality said:

(not a fanboy)

In the words of Yatzee

"Yes you are"

In CGI's defence:

If he is indeed a fanboy he is of the good kind, unlike those that constantly throw up made up facts and blindly believe every bit of rubbish they read - At least that is me judging from some of CGI's previous posts.

OT: I don't think the cell is going anywhere. To much money and effort have been put into it and developers are getting to know it.

A more powerful cell, better graphics chip and obviously more RAM/bigger HDD is probably what will happen. Any new Blu-ray/bluetooth developements might be included as well. 

Peripherals might include a built-in camera/mic.

Agreed with justinian...everyone is biased towards a console or the PC, but he stays in his limit unlike most people on this forum.

I think $ony's Ps4 Launch price will be $399 and no more than $449. They will probably end up using the same technology used in the PS3 but increasing the power under the hood to stay cost efficient. The have the technology already they just need to build upon it.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

They should give us free downloadable games forever, PS4 for the price of $1099

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network
Bullet100000 said:
I think $ony's Ps4 Launch price will be $399 and no more than $449. They will probably end up using the same technology used in the PS3 but increasing the power under the hood to stay cost efficient. The have the technology already they just need to build upon it.

If they do that we can naturally presume developers will complain about the PS4 being difficult to develop for.

Seinfeld said:
Bullet100000 said:

If they do that we can naturally presume developers will complain about the PS4 being difficult to develop for.

Well I don't think so : Developpers (3rd Party) are finally starting to use correctly the PS3's hardware. I think they would be glad if Sony doesn't change radically the architecture of the PS4 : Developpers need stability. And no need to put lots of efforts to learn the new machine.

They will use the Cell technology again for the ps4, but this time there will be more Cell Chips in the PS4, and will use more RAM and a better graphics card, but I really cannot see Sony going the same route again, thats if cloud computing has not taken off by then which is looking to replace the need for home consoles.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

The PS4 should simply have more resources available to developers, primarily in the department of video and main memory, which is the key restraint of the PS3.

The inclusion of additional cores and SPUs (if that's the route they go) would make it more difficult for developers to take full advantage of the CPU processing capabilities, but by the same token, should leave plenty of head space for future development as developers rely more upon distributing the computing overhead among cores/SPUs for more CPU intensive applications.

At the bare minimum, we'll be seeing late cycle PS3 level visuals at higher resolutions and faster frame rates from the earliest development efforts with more experienced CBE developers raising the bar early on.

alephnull said:

Everybody is going to have to switch to an architecture similar to cell due to the current crisis in computer architecture it's just a matter of when.

As a side project with two other people we already have a realtime raytracer doing 6 fps using just the 6 SPUs one one PS3 involving a number of light sources emitting sierpinski triangles (at different trippy colors) onto a number of highly reflictive sheres (so theres alot of light bouncing around) at 800x600. This is even though we haven't even begun to optimize things seriously yet, all the floating point to integer conversion for display are done on the ppu which needs to be moved over to the spus, and we are doing it through the draconian hypervisior which runs underneath linux.  I honestly think that a few more usable spus clocked a little higher (not necessarily the 2007 6Ghz version shown) would have changed things drastically.

If sony sticks with the cell next generation they are set.

BTW the ps3 runs a modified version of the AIX kernel, I'm not sure but the 360 might also run AIX as they both use the POWER ISA (although what most people thing of as the OS are really userspace apps).

So hows it handling divergence, I know thats one area which kills GPU raytracers. Also how many bounces are you doing?

Btw, you're just a lazy developer for not offloading the work off the PPU, shame on you!!!

I also take it you don't see the POWER 7 architecture as being useful for Sony? (Which is sad as im quite fond of that new processor)

Tease.