By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 should not be so powerful next gen?

PS#3 had problems at launch....No way..I gotta Believe!

Around the Network

I think they should re-brand an overclocked PS3 as PS4.

OC the Cell, put an 8800 equivalent GPU in there, bring RAM to 1GB, and keep Blu-ray. Launch it at $299.

There will be no PS4 not unless Sony magically regain the billions they have lost since launch

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

CGI-Quality said:

As a Sony loyalist - (not a fanboy) I personally would like to see Sony put out a far more powerful machine than the PS3 next gen but would it be worth it? I think as a launch 60GB PS3 owner that the PS3 was well worth all $641 (including tax) that I paid for it on Nov 17, 2006 but I also realize that if they were to take that same route next gen they would at least need some heftier launch titles to go along with that technology. PS3's biggest launch problem imo was the lack of software even though the competition suffered the same fate. Howerver Sony had that high price point of $599.99 that the public also had to contend with and thus the PS3 intially got a bad rep out of the box which also explains less 3rd party support as the competition hence - less sales. Things are now looking up for Sony big time but I think next gen they should take a less costly route with the PS4 just upgrading the PS3's tech minimally and getting some truly powerful exclusives out of the box with a console (though as I said I think the PS3 was well worth the $599.99 price tag) that doesnt exceed $449.99 at launch - Your thoughts?

Honestly I would more like to see Sony take a PS1/PS2 route with their next system over making a Powerhouse again. And not because I think that if the PS4 was a powerhouse and tanked that it would bankrupt Sony. But because I honestly think that developers and the public gravitate towards the console thats in the middle in terms of Hardware power.

In the case of the PS1 and PS2 they weren't the strongest systems of their gen. Yet they had games that graphically put most of the games on the competitors systems to shame.(Case-in-point compare MGS: Twin Snakes to MGS3) I think devs like the idea of being able to work with a machine that's not so overwhelming and overpowering to work with but is somewhere in the middle. Something thats weaker on paper then the rest of the consoles out there but when really pushed it can go toe-to-toe with its competitors.

And price is also a factor as well. While I don't regret the hefty $800 CAD (Including Tax) That I paid for my 60GB it still left a sour taste in my mouth when I dropped almost a grand for this machine and I had to wait a year for the AAA games to come out.

If Sony wants to go the expensive route again thats fine. Just make sure that they have a killer launch lineup and future lineup out of the gates that will justify such a purchase. I mean I wonder what the playing field would be like if Sony launched Gran Turismo 5 and Wild Arms 6/Legend of Dragoon with the PS3? I mean Resistance was great and all but a lot of Sony loyalists didn't own PS1/PS2's for FPS but for RPGs, Action Adventure and Gran Turismo games.

I've said this since my early days since I signed up on VGChartz, The PS4 needs to be priced closer to it's competitors (Think 299.99-399.99) and also have 2-3 Killer Apps straight out of the box(Bundled for the first year would be great). The PS3 would be in a much better place if gamers had something other than Resistance and PS2 games to play after Nov 17 2006.

Also to be truly effective Sony is going to have to launch the PS4 first. Like a full year before the next Xbox and Nintendo systems and should be priced competitively, with a nice $100.00 price drop the day the Xbox/Nintendo systems launch.

PS. They Should also worry about their wallets this time around as I WOULD hate to see them go bankrupt and close

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Bladeforce said:
There will be no PS4 not unless Sony magically regain the billions they have lost since launch

Because the $4 billion Microsoft lost over the Xbox led them to drop out of the console race?

Seriously...your fanboy goggles need to come off.

Around the Network

Firstly, the PS3 is a really powerful machine and I can see it lasting another 4-5 years (like many of you have already said, the firmware updates will make this happen).

Sony knows what to do for the PS4: Make a console that evolves from the PS3 so that you save money and have a good pricepoint...In other words, we're looking at a PS3.5 instead of a PS4...Release Uncharted 3 or 4 as a launch title and you're all set...the next Playstation will sell like hotcakes!

CGI-Quality said:

(not a fanboy)

In the words of Yatzee

"Yes you are"

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

PS4 can be powerful and not pricey next-gen, the reason PS3 was really expensive was because of 2 reasons: Blu-Ray and Cell (both were brand new and really pricey), if they keep Blu-Ray (with better speed) and they upgrade the Cell along with the GPU and the RAM (keep the Main and Gfx RAM separate like high-end PCs but add a lot), they can do a normal price PS4 (Not PS3.5) with 1080p graphics from the start, have PS3/PS1 direct BC and PS2 BC via software, and devs will be happy because the engines will only need an upgrade...

A system like that can launch in 350 if they want to make a profit per console, and 250/300 if they want to do the loss-style again...

Assuming the hardware sees the light of day about six years after the PS3 launch, or November 2012, it should be entirely possible to produce a $399 console that runs 1920x1080 native render resolution at 60fps. Anything beyond that would probably be overspecced assuming HD broadcast standards don't change in the next three years (unlikely considering how long it took for the transition to 720p/1080i) and the typical TV in the average household is a 1080p HDTV.

Shouldn't take more than 512-1024MB of VRAM and 1-2GB of system RAM, assuming hardware designs stay with the standard CPU/GPU architecture.

The only thing I can think of offhand that would require higher specs would be if SCE plans on making a stereo 3D video output system meant to be played on 120hz displays which could significantly increase the video processing overhead assuming a smooth 60fps (x2 progressive fields) remained the target.

Beyond the video specs, it's all speculation as to what else the next generation will bring to the PS line of consoles.

If SCE tries to sell Joe Public another $600 console (or more) on debut, they haven't learned anything from this generation and I expect it to be met with the same reception as the PS3 on release.

IMHO, PS4 should remain a Cell based console.

Could Maybe use the multicore version of the Cell due to release in 2011-2012 : http://img411.imageshack.us/i/roadmap1kh0.png/#q=ibm%20cell%20roadmap

CELL BE at 3,8 GHz with 4 PPE and 32 SPE's

A RSX Compatibility chip to allow every PS3 games to work with it

A Faster Blu-Ray Drive

2-3 Gigs of Ram

500 GB Hard Drive

Wifi

And the Price at Release : 400$ Max