By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Comparing Exclusives:HD Console Graphics.

Deneidez said:

@Thread

As I thought, you will not list comparations that will be 'negative' towards PS3. Resistance and GoW was released about the same time and they are nearly similar games. However you cannot really compare those either.

@MikeB

MikeB said:
@ Deneidez

The thing is you can't really compare different games. For example how much stuff theres flying in GT5 prologue when cars crash? :)

(I haven't played Forza 2, but I have played GT5P.)

The full version of GT5 will have such according to the devs, they just need some time to get this up to the level of realism to go with the core game.

Will have =! does have... And what kind of dmg simulation they will have. According to devs(before) it was going to be something HUGE!!(They did show stuff about real crashes & stuff and sony fan crowd just gone wild.)... And I think they say now that it will be something simple.

For a less realistic approach, look at the impressive Motorstorm 2:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38840.html

Whats with you ppl? Why you bring up games that haven't been even released? A lot of cgi movies and stuff, but no real games. I think youre funney, don't you?(And somewhat sad & pathetic... :/)

"Yeah, X360 have game like that, but look at this game for PS3, doesn't it look incredible. Oh and btw its coming 2012."

Comparing system exclusives is much better suited then comparing multiplat games seeing as the lead platform usually has the better graphics of the two.

I did not do a Gears vs Resistance because that would be highly unfair. Resistance was a first generation game and is not meant to be graphical powerhouse of a game, just fun as hell to play. Gears is a second,third generation game so of course it looks better. It really doesn't matter as this thread is purely about graphics and Gears graphics may be able to beat resitance's but it cannot beat many other games on the PS3, such is the point. Killzone blows it out of the water.

Remember though, none of this has any berring on which game is funner to play, just graphical superiority.

a screenshot is a screenshot, whether it is out right now or not is irrelevent.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

@ Deneidez

Will have =! does have... And what kind of dmg simulation they will have. According to devs(before) it was going to be something HUGE!!(They did show stuff about real crashes & stuff and sony fan crowd just gone wild.)... And I think they say now that it will be something simple.

You must know physics based damage is one of the PS3's strongpoints. Anyway rendering at a much higher resolution, much higher detailed cars, twice the amount of cars on track, etc. The Gran Turismo series just seems to aim for a much higher level of realism.

Whats with you ppl? Why you bring up games that haven't been even released? A lot of cgi movies and stuff, but no real games. I think youre funney, don't you?

Yes we all know Gears of War 2, Alan Wake and Banjo haven't been released yet. But IMO it's just fine for people to use them as examples, in real life such things always seems to happen as such, IMO nothing to be upset about. Maybe Alan Wake shouldn't be included as nothing has really been shown in real time yet.

(And somewhat sad & pathetic... :/)

I am sure some feel as such about you when reading your heated comments. Let's just calm down shall we?

"Yeah, X360 have game like that, but look at this game for PS3, doesn't it look incredible. Oh and btw its coming 2012."

Motorstorm 2 is coming later this year.

That trailer includes in-game footage, the game has already been played by the public and will be improved on for the final version.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ forevercloud3000

Comparing system exclusives is much better suited then comparing multiplat games seeing as the lead platform usually has the better graphics of the two.

Agreed, if you understand the differences between the 360 and PS3 hardware setup it's easy to understand how minor differences results from game development being lead on the 360. (for example taking optimal usage of EDRam optimisations on the 360, while laregely neglecting the massive potential of the Cell's SPUs).

Developers will tell you it's better to lead projects on the PS3 with an eye on cross platform portability. It will not only result in better PS3 versions, the PC and 360 versions will benefit to a lesser degree as well as more modern and/or more efficient programming techniques are much more important on the PS3 platform.

Madden 2007 and 2008 360 to PS3 ports were worse on the PS3, but Madden 2009 is said to be much improved as well as slightly better on the PS3, so Madden 2007 or Madden 2008 comparisons would  now seem obsolete and irrelevant. It's clear their game engine wasn't up to spec yet for the earlier versions and for the long run their game engine will only improve and not get back to yesteryear's state of development.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB

You must know physics based damage is one of the PS3's strongpoints. Anyway rendering at a much higher resolution, much higher detailed cars, twice the amount of cars on track, etc. The Gran Turismo series just seems to aim for a much higher level of realism.

I do know that PS3 can do physics simulations quite nicely, but still if everything is already used you cannot use it for anything anymore even if it wouldn't be a much burden.

Yes we all know Gears of War 2, Alan Wake and Banjo haven't been released yet. But IMO it's just fine for people to use them as examples, in real life such things always seems to happen as such, IMO nothing to be upset about. Maybe Alan Wake shouldn't be included as nothing has really been shown in real time yet.

Well, you do it all the time, because you really don't have anything else.

Madden 2007 and 2008 360 to PS3 ports were worse on the PS3, but Madden 2009 is said to be much improved as well as slightly better on the PS3, so Madden 2007 or Madden 2008 comparisons would  now seem obsolete and irrelevant. It's clear their game engine wasn't up to spec yet for the earlier versions and for the long run their game engine will only improve and not get back to yesteryear's state of development.

And here we go again. "Madden 2009 is going to be good on PS3..." , Uhm... When you can't use real examples wish for better results in the future and use them sometimes as a facts? :)

Agreed, if you understand the differences between the 360 and PS3 hardware setup it's easy to understand how minor differences results from game development being lead on the 360. (for example taking optimal usage of EDRam optimisations on the 360, while laregely neglecting the massive potential of the Cell's SPUs).

Can you understand differences between games? Can you compare tetris and crysis? Or can you even compare crysis for any console fps. (Crysis world(maps) is(are) much larger and theres much more stuff going on. Thats why it takes much more to play it than most of console fps where theres only one 'pipe' and only one 'pipe section' you have to render. Ultimate example would be doom3 vs crysis. Small & tight corridors vs quite free world.). I say I don't agree, because no game is really comparable.

Developers will tell you it's better to lead projects on the PS3 with an eye on cross platform portability. It will not only result in better PS3 versions, the PC and 360 versions will benefit to a lesser degree as well as more modern and/or more efficient programming techniques are much more important on the PS3 platform.

You really can't use efficient programming techniques on PS3, sorry. Its usually only C or asm with SPUs. So no OO no functional programming no nothing, but old procedural stuff when it comes to SPUs. PPU of course can handle those. We just have to wait(Just like everything else when it comes to PS3? :) ) for those projects to see does it really matter if you make game first on PS3.

Soriku said:
Versus has always looked better than FF XIII graphically. That Versus pic came long before E3. If it came to the 360 it would look the same.

Honestly, games on the PS3 and 360 either look extremely the same or if not that then extremely similar.

Trying to compare graphics between them is redundant and old when the games look too similar so it doesn't matter.

I agree. The only time I ever say one game is superior to another, is to PO fanboys. The consoles graphics are virtually identical, and anyone who disagrees has the right to their opinion, but I'd imagine it is based off bias, cognitive dissonance, or an inferiority complex.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

@ Deneidez

I do know that PS3 can do physics simulations quite nicely, but still if everything is already used you cannot use it for anything anymore even if it wouldn't be a much burden.

No current game comes close to tapping the PS3's full potential, that's what programmers will tell you.

Well, you do it all the time, because you really don't have anything else.

What do you mean? Killzone 2 has been played by the gaming press at its current state just like Motorstorm 2, Resistance 2, etc. We have Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction as eye popping games out on the PS3 already. Developers already confirmed the Resistance 2 teaser and Heavy Rain to be running in realtime in the footage.

And here we go again. "Madden 2009 is going to be good on PS3..." , Uhm... When you can't use real examples wish for better results in the future and use them sometimes as a facts? :)

The game has been released.

Can you compare tetris and crysis?

To some extend yes, Crysis is obviously a far more demanding game.

You really can't use efficient programming techniques on PS3, sorry. Its usually only C or asm with SPUs

Every programmer knows programming in assembler will yield by far the best performance efficiency and memory footprint. It just requires more knowledge of the underlying hardware. Developing for the PS3 is much easier than was the case for the PS2, you will get to see more amazing results.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Seihyouken said:
I think the comparisons should be as follows:

Alan Wake vs. Heavy Rain
Gears of War 2 vs. Killzone 2
BioShock vs. Uncharted
Banjo-Kazooie vs. Ratchet & Clank
Ninja Gaiden II vs. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Forza Motorsport 2 vs. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

I thik Ninja Gaiden Sigma vs. Ninja Gaiden II would be a far more direct comparison since they are of the same series.

I also don't think Final Fantasy XIII can be used for the 360 since the game hasn't even been shown on 360 hardware since the port hasn't even started being developed yet.

Gears of War 2 vs. Killzone 2 ? Noooo. It is Gears of War 2 vs Resistance 2
BioShock vs. Uncharted ???????
Ninja Gaiden II vs. Ninja Gaiden Sigma ??????
Forza Motorsport 2 vs. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue - Nope. It will be Forza Motorsport 3 vs. Gran Turismo 5

@ BrayanA

Gears of War 2 vs Resistance 2

Yes maybe, Halo 3 (640p, no AA) vs Killzone 2 would be a better comparison. Both very high budget exclusives worked on for many years.

IMO Resistance 2 is looking great so far, a great leap from Resistance: Fall of Man from a technical perspective (especially the huge boss battles and procedural water):

http://www.insidegamer.nl/playstation3/resistance2/videos/8101

PS3 vs 360 sales

@MikeB

No current game comes close to tapping the PS3's full potential, that's what programmers will tell you.

Its not like "Yeah, PS3 has incredible amount of processing power. We made game that just took some of it, because we didn't need all of it."...

Its like "PS3 has incredible amount of potential, but this is what we could do. I hope next time we can do it better."

Its not certain can you even use 90% of its potential.

What do you mean? Killzone 2 has been played by the gaming press at its current state just like Motorstorm 2, Resistance 2, etc. We have Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction as eye popping games out on the PS3 already. Developers already confirmed the Resistance 2 teaser and Heavy Rain to be running in realtime in the footage.

If I remember correctly killzone 2 had some cgi that was shown as realtime footage. Also those made demovids try to show only best sides of games always. Its usually not what game really is.

The game has been released.

Ah, darn it was released on last week, wasn't it? Sorry about that one. :)

To some extend yes, Crysis is obviously a far more demanding game.

Demanding and very different(, which was the whole point).

Every programmer knows programming in assembler will yield by far the best performance efficiency and memory footprint. It just requires more knowledge of the underlying hardware. Developing for the PS3 is much easier than was the case for the PS2, you will get to see more amazing results.

Every programmer knows that using assembly is incredible(I can use these words too. ^^) pain in the ass when projects are huge. Especially if you must use it and theres no other way around. Have you ever wondered why they don't make programs only by using assembly?

Some interesting comparisons and wow the Ps3 exclusive game is better in all comparisons.