By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS pulls another rabbit out of the hat... VF5 online!

Unless you're hard wired to each other (LAN), there is always going to be some lag, and bad programming can even make lag on a LAN.

The internet's not a truck you just dump something on, it's a series of tubes, and if something gets jammed in those tubes, the internet slows down!

Also, I thought most residential cable/DSL services were only 156-300kb/sec, and Residential T1 lines were ridiculously expensive, and at least on my campus, our T1 shared connection had more closed ports than France during a British Naval blockade.

Fighting games it's extremely important that it's as lag free as possible, especially since Virtua Fighter is touted as the true fighting game, since it's hard to counter when all reactions and commands are .2 seconds late.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Around the Network

ssj12: "Most online servers Sony has are dedicated. So there is no lag. EVER. Unless someone hosts a game and they have an internet connection slower then 2Mbps."

With all due respect ssj12, it is clear you're a little fuzzy on how the Internet, and networks in general, works.  Most latency is caused by distance and number of hops between the server and client. 

Most games, with the exception of MMO's, don't use the dedicated server model (even on PC's).  This is because if your dedicated server is on the west coast, and you've got two guys who want to play each other in Maine, every time someone sends a command to the server it has to go all the way accross the country and back.

In the age of powerful computers and consoles, most systems are peer-to-peer.  So if I'm in New Hampshire and I play games with folks from Mass, NY, and Maine, all the data travels in short hops and we don't have to worry about round trips to some server located 1000's of miles away.

My 360 can blog!

Gamers have 3 choices this generation: The Exercise Machine, the Movie Machine, or the Game Machine.  What kind of gamer are you?

Fuzzmosis said:
our T1 shared connection had more closed ports than France during a British Naval blockade.

Fuzzmosis, you win the Internet. I'm a historian of Britain, and you had me laughing so hard I almost fell out of my chair.   

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

RedToof said:

ssj12: "Most online servers Sony has are dedicated. So there is no lag. EVER. Unless someone hosts a game and they have an internet connection slower then 2Mbps."

With all due respect ssj12, it is clear you're a little fuzzy on how the Internet, and networks in general, works.  Most latency is caused by distance and number of hops between the server and client. 

Most games, with the exception of MMO's, don't use the dedicated server model (even on PC's).  This is because if your dedicated server is on the west coast, and you've got two guys who want to play each other in Maine, every time someone sends a command to the server it has to go all the way accross the country and back.

In the age of powerful computers and consoles, most systems are peer-to-peer.  So if I'm in New Hampshire and I play games with folks from Mass, NY, and Maine, all the data travels in short hops and we don't have to worry about round trips to some server located 1000's of miles away.

I am afraid you are wrong there. Both Resistance and Motorstorm have dedicated servers. Most PC games have dedicated servers but also have P2P (UT and CS:S are the best examples I can think of). Also, while the amount of routers and switches the info goes through does have an effect on lag, the main cause is the fact that the host simply can not upload the data fast enough.

BenKenobi88 said:
I doubt VF5 will get patched...

You can say it will...and I can say it won't....

Neither of us have any evidence to back it up though.

I have no proof but it seems like a logical course of action.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Why wasn't this news saved for E3? This could have been a nice surprise on top of some other nice ones :)

Well with all the revisions and new modes I doubt it is an easy patch job. The 360 version is based off of the new Arcade revision C while the PS3 version uses Arcade revision B.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

BenKenobi88 said:

and i can say it really doesnt matter because the virtua fighter series has never been a big seller...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

URNotE said:
BenKenobi88 said:

and i can say it really doesnt matter because the virtua fighter series has never been a big seller...

And this is true about sales. But most gamers don't care about sales, PS3 owners in particular, right?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
URNotE said:
BenKenobi88 said:

And this is true about sales. But most gamers don't care about sales, PS3 owners in particular, right?

no not ps3 owners in general... i guess wii owners get to make all the sarcastic comments they want to though... you ignorant F**K

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732