By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - List of best-selling video game franchises(wikipedia)

WWE games were confirmed at 39m WW a few weeks ago on Smackdown. 39m, not 37. With SVR2009 coming out, it will pass 40m

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

why is everybody surprised about need for speed numbers? nfs every year realeases a game on 7-10 different platforms. a couple years it was realeased on
ps2,psp,ps3
gc,wii,gba,ds
xbox,x360
pc

Oyvoyvoyv said:
I'm confused. Did OP mean this as a joke, or is he serious about the numbers?

I find it really funny you posted this, because I just came across something:

Oyvoyvoyv: "but I don't trust that completely since sites as Nexgenwars.com say a lot less."

Tbone said:
Seems right, didnt know Crash and Need for speed sold so much.

yea...nfs should have sold much more,they only release for every console, handheld, pc,and even mobile(sometimes)

Go Mario... and Pokemon!

Around the Network

Nickelodeon?

axumblade said:
Makes sense. there's like 40 nickelodeon games out. Gran Turismo has way less.

Also, what is Winning Eleven?

a football game....they changed the name to pro evolution soccer

axumblade said:
321tttrini4everz said:
axumblade said:
Makes sense. there's like 40 nickelodeon games out. Gran Turismo has way less.

Also, what is Winning Eleven?

a football game....they changed the name to pro evolution soccer

Ah! Gotcha. At first I was confused because I'm american. Now I can see why it's up there.

that football ^

EDIT: CHRIS BIRCHALL FROM TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM

1. Mario. 200M is not including pack-ins, and is still outdated. According to the million-sellers database, the series is over 250M without SMB, SMW and SML, which push it up to 330M.

3. Sims. EA celebrated 100M for "The Sims" alone. Combined with older Sims games like SimCity, I believe the series is over 120M.

6. Grand Theft Auto. 70M is a pre-GTAIV number, so now it's pushing 80M. http://taketwovalue.com/documents/TTWO_Value.pdf#page=12

8. Tetris' 70M looks to include the Game Boy pack-in, which is inconsistent.

12. Nickelodeon. I don't think you can call all their properties a single "franchise."

14. Donkey Kong. 48M just includes versions published by Nintendo, I think. The hugely successful Coleco pack-in, for example, is not included.

17. Lineage. I've never believed this number. Subscriptions for both games would have had to been in the WoW range for it to have sold 40M... And they weren't.

I'm sure there's plenty more problems with the list...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Ok everybody who is commenting on these numbers, accept a few things first.

These numbers are not sales estimates, they are shipment figures as reported by the game publishers. Each number has a link to where it came from.

As such, they are completely reliable

However in some cases they are outdated.

Now as to why Wii Sports + Wii Play + Wii Fit isn't on there. If you go to the discussion page, you will see that what is defined as a franchise is not defined by the wikicommunity. Smash Bros doesn't appear on the list at all, despite selling well over the requisite 5 million simply because there hasn't been a Ninty press release saying that the Smash bros franchise has sold xxxx copies. (this also explains why pseudofranchises such as the Nickelodian franchise make it in there.