By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Microsoft's strategy is failing

i expect it to sell 40 million total, which even if last place is still pretty good

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network
woopah said:
i expect it to sell 40 million total, which even if last place is still pretty good

its about twice the sales of its first gen console. Definatly an improvement, even with other 40 mil. Though it would only have to sell roughly 4 mil a year from now on to 2011 if it ends this year with the 27 mil people think it will.

I think it will do better then 4 mil a year, especially with the price drop. 

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

steven787 said:

Failing to do what?

It's profitable.
It's got great games.
It's selling very well.

Using the competition as a yard stick isn't always the best idea.

Is Burger King a failure because McDonalds generates more revenue?

No, we just have this screwed up idea that everything is a race or a battle.

Also: This is discussing the same article as this thread: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=38285

1. Look my previous post with the embeded vid of E3 08.

2. Major Nelson => We will sell more X360's worldwide this gen than PS3 with using their strategy.

3. X360 is not making the gap wider with PS3.

4. So the strategy is failing...

konnichiwa said:
steven787 said:

Failing to do what?

It's profitable.
It's got great games.
It's selling very well.

Using the competition as a yard stick isn't always the best idea.

Is Burger King a failure because McDonalds generates more revenue?

No, we just have this screwed up idea that everything is a race or a battle.

Also: This is discussing the same article as this thread: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=0&id=38285

1. Look my previous post with the embeded vid of E3 08.

2. Major Nelson => We will sell more X360's worldwide this gen than PS3 with using their strategy.

3. X360 is not making the gap wider with PS3.

4. So the strategy is failing...

First to adress what I bolded.  You need to read my posts again, I am saying gap or no gap, it does not matter.  Not one bit. Unless the gap is significant.  Which it won't be.

On Major Nelson's comments:

I didn't say that executive weren't also guilty of this thinking.  They are.  They do it all the time, and they are stupid.

Whether he believes it or not, I cannot say.  He's throwing fuel on the fire, trying to get publicity, and it's worked.

I mostly own shares of companies that pay dividends, because as an owner of a company I want my cut to reinvest how I choose.  I do own some growth stocks, but I do not plan on keeping them till I retire because they always go down sooner or later.

My profit is all I care about as a stock holder.   So if these executives want to keep their jobs they have to either keep the dividends coming or keep the stock price climbing.

"Winning the console war" is fanboy and marketing talk.

Edit:

By your thinking, I would guess your answer to my question would be: Yes, Burger King is a failure.

You would be wrong.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

MS needs to make the XBOX a worldwide brand to a greater extent. Look at Sony, how they are bringing products to Europe first in some cases (PlayTV), doing euro game shows (leipzig), and actually have a sustained prescence in Asia.

W/ games, I am really surprised that MS hasn't brought any big MMO's yet. You would think that w/ MS's dominance of the online part of gaming, that they would have done this by last year.....but it hasn't happened.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
I still wouldn't classify Vista as a failure and don't even know why you brought it up in the first place. It may not be a smashing success but it's a long way from failure.

No, Vista is a dud b/c MS has lost some market share w/ its OSs.  Look at apple computers all of a sudden being more popular than they have been....b/c of Vista proving the apple dorks right.

dallas said:
FishyJoe said:
I still wouldn't classify Vista as a failure and don't even know why you brought it up in the first place. It may not be a smashing success but it's a long way from failure.

No, Vista is a dud b/c MS has lost some market share w/ its OSs.  Look at apple computers all of a sudden being more popular than they have been....b/c of Vista proving the apple dorks right.

If that's the threshold for failure, then the PS3 has accomplished it in spades because it has lost more market share than Vista ever will. Before anyone calls me a hater, I'm not calling the PS3 a failure. I'm merely providing perspective.

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/?WT.srch=1

FishyJoe, assuming this generation ends in 2012, do you think the 360 and PS3 may achieve between 40 and 50 million units sold by December 2012?

my brothers in gaming plss plss understand that coming off the sucess of the ps1 and the ps2 it is garuanteed that even with the slow start sony had with the ps3 that it will,WILL OVERTAKE THE 360 installed base,but it urkkks me to see many sonyfanboys on here acting like the ps3 is doing anything spectacular in outselling the 360.the thing to look at is not that 360 had a lead on the ps3 but that it the 360 has stolen away MARKET FROM SONY OK,and in which case it makes the 360 a winner plss study it carefully,so even if only half of the userbase of the ps2 buy ps3 it is a given sony will at the end of the generation b in the lead ahead of 360,but what of the other former sony ps2 onwers who would have brought 360 or wii?sony no matter how u put it has lost valuable marketshare,just an observation that all can see clearly if only they wipe away the bias.