By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Microsoft's strategy is failing

FishyJoe said:
dallas said:
FishyJoe said:
I still wouldn't classify Vista as a failure and don't even know why you brought it up in the first place. It may not be a smashing success but it's a long way from failure.

No, Vista is a dud b/c MS has lost some market share w/ its OSs.  Look at apple computers all of a sudden being more popular than they have been....b/c of Vista proving the apple dorks right.

If that's the threshold for failure, then the PS3 has accomplished it in spades because it has lost more market share than Vista ever will. Before anyone calls me a hater, I'm not calling the PS3 a failure. I'm merely providing perspective.

man, I don't agree with you too often, but you nailed that one.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network

Just as an interesting note, the 360 was 5,274,069 ahead of the ps3 on the ps3's launch week. The 360 is currently 5.55 mill ahead. Thus the 360 is actually ahead by more then it was when the ps3 was launched. The 360 increased its lead and only now has it been slightly eroded, but it hasn't been eroded to below the level it was when the ps3 was launched. In terms of install base the ps3 has literally made no ground on the 360 at all since launch. Not that it wont, but its still interesting to see. The ps3 has a long way to go to catch up and with the supposed price cut coming its only going to take longer to surpass the 360.

This thread is plain awesome, the denial is very high here, the MS astroturfers are a-plenty too.
Just like expected around NPD day. So I had to jump in!
So yes, MS strategy is failing, and it's pretty obvious too.
The fact that XB360 is one year older than its competitors is quickly suppressed. We can't say that, because with the very poor growth of the XB360, both relative and absolute, it doesn't bode well.
And because if we keep quiet on that, we can then compare XB360 3rd year growth rate to Wii and PS3 2nd year growth rate. Of course, it doesn't make sense to compare these growths, as traditional consoles sell more and more every year, until they reach their peak. So both the relative and absolute growth of XB360 should be higher than the PS3 or Wii, but they aren't!
Panic on board! Running scared! But don't worry, MS astroturfers have their argument well prepared to brainwash people. And fortunately, XB360 sees growth, if they didn't, it would mean that it's reached its peak in 2 years, which would be even worse. But the 3rd XB360 year is not yet finished, it has until end of October.

I see lots of lies being spread too. Classic MS stuff: the more you say the lie, the bigger it is, and the more people will believe it. So now, Mii are a copy of MS gamercard (wow! Denial, but just no!), MS innovated sth in the game industry (wow! Denial again, but no!), MS took marketshare from PS3 (wow! The Wii is sole responsible for that, so uh... no!), every console maker has holes in its strategy (wow! Nintendo has no holes in its strategy yet, despite what the fanboys will tell you. They basically invent new BS holes that actually are strengths for Nintendo, at every opportunity they have, like last E3), the RROD has ended and they took care of it beautifully (wow! Plain wrong!), XB360 has the best game library (wow! They sure repeated that a lot! I'm sure some people are convinced now, without any proof of it! Of course, it's completely false, as their games sales show worldwide. Only in the USA it's not quite clear yet, as people are fooled because XB360 did have the best marketshare there for a long time.), XB360 is the JRPG king this gen (wow! This one also is pretty laughable too, but like all the rest, they get away with it thanks to their year headstart. Of course, the gen is finished already for them... no it's not), ...

When I see so many lies being spit around NPD days, I know for sure that sth has gone very wrong.
Like being outsold by a competitor deemed not worthy of anything, while having a price cut on its home turf.
But when your goal is to take down a competitor and not to improve the industry (bringing absolutely zero innovation into the field, only bad things), that's what happens sometimes.

FaRmLaNd said:
Just as an interesting note, the 360 was 5,274,069 ahead of the ps3 on the ps3's launch week. The 360 is currently 5.55 mill ahead. Thus the 360 is actually ahead by more then it was when the ps3 was launched. The 360 increased its lead and only now has it been slightly eroded, but it hasn't been eroded to below the level it was when the ps3 was launched. In terms of install base the ps3 has literally made no ground on the 360 at all since launch. Not that it wont, but its still interesting to see. The ps3 has a long way to go to catch up and with the supposed price cut coming its only going to take longer to surpass the 360.

Hush, this is fantasy-land.  Didn't you get the memo? this is the Year of the PS3 (Just like 2007 was but better).  You don't talk logic in fanboys flamebait thread.

Critics have long been spouting dead of Xbox 360 even before the machine arrive.  Heck, I was going to buy PS3 originally because every game shop I go to and every game sites said 360 will be dead upon the arrival of the true console king.  The only reason I didn't end up with PS3 is because I look at PS3 game shelf (back in May of 2007) and all I see was about 10 games and may be 3 of those are worth playing.  So I end up with 360 (worst decision ever for my pocketbook).

Its a well know adage in this industry ....Sony and Nintendo have talent.Microsoft only has money.

Admittedly ,their money is fighting real hard to postpone the defeat as much as possible.In that respect they are putting a hell of a fight.They approach each and every developer with the money in hand to get some advantage for their system ...temporal exclusivity ,achievements ,exclusivity ,published under MS banner ,etc.But that wont win them this fight.They only wish to be as good as Sony WAS last generation.But Sony ,while keeping what made the PS2 great(all the franchises are still released on the PS3) is already moving forward with Little Big Planet and a lot more community oriented games (Socom ,Wipeout HD,Gran Turismo TV) ,with interaction between Google/Youtube and their games (The Last Guy),with original games (Fat Princess,Afrika ,Flower) ,with their own blockbuster IP MS wont be able to buy this time round,with Home ,with Blu Ray 2.0 ,with games starting to be based on the PS3 first (Mirrors Edge)....

Managing only the third party games that the PS3 will get anyway wont win the battle for MS against the superior set of features and innovation of the PS3.

Around the Network
ookaze said:
This thread is plain awesome, the denial is very high here, the MS astroturfers are a-plenty too.
The fact that XB360 is one year older than its competitors is quickly suppressed. We can't say that, because with the very poor growth of the XB360, both relative and absolute, it doesn't bode well.
And because if we keep quiet on that, we can then compare XB360 3rd year growth rate to Wii and PS3 2nd year growth rate. Of course, it doesn't make sense to compare these growths, as traditional consoles sell more and more every year, until they reach their peak. So both the relative and absolute growth of XB360 should be higher than the PS3 or Wii, but they aren't!
Panic on board! Running scared! But don't worry, MS astroturfers have their argument well prepared to brainwash people. And fortunately, XB360 sees growth, if they didn't, it would mean that it's reached its peak in 2 years, which would be even worse. But the 3rd XB360 year is not yet finished, it has until end of October.

I see lots of lies being spread too. Classic MS stuff: the more you say the lie, the bigger it is, and the more people will believe it. So now, Mii are a copy of MS gamercard (wow! Denial, but just no!), MS innovated sth in the game industry (wow! Denial again, but no!), MS took marketshare from PS3 (wow! The Wii is sole responsible for that, so uh... no!), every console maker has holes in its strategy (wow! Nintendo has no holes in its strategy yet, despite what the fanboys will tell you. They basically invent new BS holes that actually are strengths for Nintendo, at every opportunity they have, like last E3), the RROD has ended and they took care of it beautifully (wow! Plain wrong!), XB360 has the best game library (wow! They sure repeated that a lot! I'm sure some people are convinced now, without any proof of it! Of course, it's completely false, as their games sales show worldwide. Only in the USA it's not quite clear yet, as people are fooled because XB360 did have the best marketshare there for a long time.), XB360 is the JRPG king this gen (wow! This one also is pretty laughable too, but like all the rest, they get away with it thanks to their year headstart. Of course, the gen is finished already for them... no it's not), ...

When I see so many lies being spit around NPD days, I know for sure that sth has gone very wrong.
Like being outsold by a competitor deemed not worthy of anything, while having a price cut on its home turf.
But when your goal is to take down a competitor and not to improve the industry (bringing absolutely zero innovation into the field, only bad things), that's what happens sometimes.

LOL.  I needed that laugh.

I must be very tired ...but am I seeing people saying 360 has had a 57% growth year on year?

My god ,they did sell last year some 200K units monthly and they are at the exact same point this year.When September arrives and they dont have the Halo 3 boost of last year they will be in fact way behind last year.

Diomedes1976 said:
I must be very tired ...but am I seeing people saying 360 has had a 57% growth year on year?

My god ,they did sell last year some 200K units monthly and they are at the exact same point this year.When September arrives and they dont have the Halo 3 boost of last year they will be in fact way behind last year.

I think they have to almost stop selling anything to fall behind last year.

X360 4,451,242 2,834,466 2,948,037
Chg: 57.04% -3.85% N/A
PS3: 5,874,934 3,075,459 N/A
Chg: 91.03% N/A N/A
Wii 11,710,638 7,564,378 N/A
Chg: 54.81% N/A N/A

JaggedSac said:
Diomedes1976 said:

I think they have to almost stop selling anything to fall behind last year.

X360 4,451,242 2,834,466 2,948,037
Chg: 57.04% -3.85% N/A
PS3: 5,874,934 3,075,459 N/A
Chg: 91.03% N/A N/A
Wii 11,710,638 7,564,378 N/A
Chg: 54.81% N/A N/A

Diomedes - Unfortunately, you always fail to look at the VGC data that is easily, and readily available. It's very informative. You may not of known, but the Xbox 360 has had tremendous growth in Europe this year vs. 07, and has seen some growth in the US as well - enough to give it a 57% YOY increase up to the last full week of available data. Your not seeing things. According to VGC, it's solid fact that the X360 has had a larger increase in sales than the Wii has for 07 vs. 08.

I never said Mii was a direct copy, but you can see the whole profile system was taken from the X360.

Then you decide to spout a lot of things being wrong, with no actual information:

MS took marketshare from PS3 (wow! The Wii is sole responsible for that, so uh... no!) 

Technically, any system that out-preforms a rival is taking away marketshare. Versus what Sony did last generation, with it's 70% marketshare, the Xbox 360 and Wii are both chomping away at the marketshare Sony used to have. It's not just because of Nintendo (although it's obvious they have the lions share), but the X360 too.

[/quote]

the RROD has ended and they took care of it beautifully (wow! Plain wrong!)

Mind providing a few articles that say that RROD in post-Falcon consoles is still commonplace? Care to tell me if Sony or Nintendo offer a 3 year warranty? If you can't respond to both, how are you believable?

XB360 has the best game library (wow! They sure repeated that a lot! I'm sure some people are convinced now, without any proof of it! Of course, it's completely false, as their games sales show worldwide. Only in the USA it's not quite clear yet, as people are fooled because XB360 did have the best marketshare there for a long time.), XB360 is the JRPG king this gen (wow! This one also is pretty laughable too, but like all the rest, they get away with it thanks to their year headstart. Of course, the gen is finished already for them... no it's not), ...

You know, you can spout everything as lies if you want, but that doesn't make it any less true. How do you want to define the Xbox 360 as having the best library? The most quality games for Metacritic? From user reviews on Gamerankings? The total # of games? The best selling in major genres? Pick a format, and I think I can show you a few charts that show the X360 is leading in quite a few areas for game diversity, quality, and enjoyment by Xbox 360 users. But again, you failed to post anything to back your claims up.

"The Wii doesn't have the largest marketshare! All lies! The Playstation 3 has the best sales, and that's a fact!"

Roughly, that is your argument. You provide no substantiated basis, no fact checking, nothing, in your post. Back it up with some references if you'd like to be taken seriously, please.

At any rate, it always seems wierd that every time there is one notable thing in the marketplace (PS3 leads X360 by 20,000 units for 1 month. PS3 shortages), there is a paradigm shift, and appropriate response from the fanboy defense forces...Can't we just wait a little while to see how things do trend without jumping to conclusions? After all, if we went by first impressions, the best movie ever made would of been Spiderman 1...

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Logical fallacies, red herrings, strawmen: classic!
I know pretty well that MS can provide charts to try to prove the unprovable, I don't need to be convinced. I'm sure I know some of them too.
Heck, I even saw some weeks ago a thread on how the XB360 had the best games in almost every gaming genre, including platformers or even "casual" (in fact social) games. And a few people dared challenge this nonsense. There's no need to anyway.
I love how proving RROD is still there now is the burden of proof. Seems to me like proving it is no longer there should be the burden of proof. Of course, once again, MS knows pretty well how to shut off such things. The boards are still plenty with people saying they got RROD with their latest consoles.
Now, even though it was supposed to be there already, the new XB360 revision is supposed to come with the next 60 GB SKU.

I don't care really, except that such a poor reliability in consoles should never have happened.

You can see the strategy of HD consoles (not only XB360) has failed any way you look at it.
When you look at their message that HD is a great evolution, SD is bad, it's all good with rosy glasses. When you put true magnigying glasses, you see it for what it is: a big lie. Their biggest argument is based on a big lie. None of their big 1st party games are even HD! 640p, 600p, what a joke!
The only one that will perhaps deliver on its promise is Sony, and they're not even there yet.

And they mocked a console that didn't have HD! They reap what they sow.

Can they sustain this train wreck for long? I doubt it.
XB360 still lost a lot of money: $2.5 B. They still have to get that back to even be profitable.
People that say they will put out a XB720 or anything soon are laughable.
They just forgot about that money that they need to get back, they also forgot about all these new franchises that need to have at least 2 more episodes before the console stops selling.
Or will they all of that become lies too? Uh no, marketing, not lies. But then, how can people trust them, if everything they say is lies?

They put $1 B to repair consoles instead of fixing the problem. Sorry, but replacing easily your broken console is a NA only thing. In other countries it's not as simple, and this kind of thing should not happen anyway.