By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCEA President: "We don't buy exclusivity."

Andir said:
I guess it depends on how you interpret "buying exclusives". You could say that you paid for production fees or what not, or you could say that a game was scheduled to come out multi-platform and it suddenly changed it mind with their bank account seeing a healthy rise.

I agree, that would be a great idea. I also think it would be smart to get Epic to make a definitive version of their UE3 engine on the PS3 platform, for the ease of use of 3rd party developers. It's hard to tell if the lag in UE3 engine development on the PS3 is entirely due to the obtuse/complex nature of the PS3's design or if they're upgrading the engine in some manner for the PS3 in particular.

But I don't think it's fair to suggest that Microsoft is, in some way, spending their money in a crude, dishonorable fashion. Sony has done a lot of the same things in the past (paying for publishing/advertisement, or simply buying up developers, such as Psygnosis), they just haven't done it as lavishly as Microsoft has.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
Andir said:
I guess it depends on how you interpret "buying exclusives". You could say that you paid for production fees or what not, or you could say that a game was scheduled to come out multi-platform and it suddenly changed it mind with their bank account seeing a healthy rise.

I agree, that would be a great idea. I also think it would be smart to get Epic to make a definitive version of their UE3 engine on the PS3 platform, for the ease of use of 3rd party developers. It's hard to tell if the lag in UE3 engine development on the PS3 is entirely due to the obtuse/complex nature of the PS3's design or if they're upgrading the engine in some manner for the PS3 in particular

I guess we will find out when UT3 is released. ;)

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

I think we need a better definition of exclusive.

There is no reason a developer could not chose to make a game an exclusive. If Squareenix want to release Dragon Quest only on the big sellers I see no problem here. I do not care if it is Snes, PS2 or DS.

Helping a company with development costs is ok. Nintendo paid for the translations costs of Tales of Symphonia, so I think it is alright with they tell Sony to make their own translation for a NA release.

If a company makes the game for just one console and release it on others due to good sales there is no problem also.
Sony told Capcom that Viewtiful Joe was shit when they first offered it for PS2, Nintendo gladly accepted their offer. Capcom made a PS2 version With extras later when Sony asked for it. I do not see any problem here.

If a company have an agreement on a exclusive - like the console has some features that makes the game unique - I think it is ok. That was not the case with RE4, Capcom back stabbed Nintendo. It is the case with games that focus a lot on online play kinda like some Xbox games.

Paying for the game exclusive as whole is wrong. If the company paying is not involved into the development, then it sucks. It sounds like an insurance policy against the competition.

Playing for exclusive content or extras would be alright if:
1) there is a good reason for it, like Wii control scheme, Xbox Live or PS3 interaction with Home or extra space on BR.
2) the price paid is the price the extras are worth.
Of course that is not the truth for GTA4 content. I know that there is a lot of subjective value in it, and the game being a major hit may justify it. Even so, I think everyone knows that the real reason is "do everything humanly possible to stop Sony from getting the better version".

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Here's a great article on what Sony has lost to date: 

Sony's Lost Exclusives: A Timeline - http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/sonys-lost-excl.html

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Metal Gear Solid
Tomb Raider
Tekken 5
Soul Calibur

I guess the've had a change of heart. Those old tactics only won them the previous gen, which isn' important, right?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

I apologize in advance:

"Exclusives are so last gen."

:D

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Diomedes1976 said:
naznatips said:
Did anyone else read this and think "Nintendo 64" right away? Just curious, because it sounds exactly like the attitude that lost it for Nintendo. Sony offered TONS of benefits to Square Enix and other 3rd party developers to get them over to the PSone.

Any proof of this please ?Or do we have to just take your word ?

Or you could spend 5 minutes trying to find out yourself before insinuating that he's just making stuff up.

If you paid attention to video gaming in the PS1/Sat/N64 era, you'd remember.  For everything else, there's Google.

I swear, if Sony's PR becomes any more transparent, it will be invisible.  "We don't buy exclusives, we earn them."  There isn't a single part of that statement approaching something believable.

Bodhesatva said:
Andir said:

I agree, that would be a great idea. I also think it would be smart to get Epic to make a definitive version of their UE3 engine on the PS3 platform, for the ease of use of 3rd party developers. It's hard to tell if the lag in UE3 engine development on the PS3 is entirely due to the obtuse/complex nature of the PS3's design or if they're upgrading the engine in some manner for the PS3 in particular.

But I don't think it's fair to suggest that Microsoft is, in some way, spending their money in a crude, dishonorable fashion. Sony has done a lot of the same things in the past (paying for publishing/advertisement, or simply buying up developers, such as Psygnosis), they just haven't done it as lavishly as Microsoft has.

they did.. remember its part of the dev kit and UT3 was announced in 2005 for the PS3 and is the primary console for the Unreal Engine 3. Its completely optimised for the cell and rsx. Its up to devs to actually know wtf they are doing. Thats the major problem with 3rd party right now, they suck at programming. They had problems with the PS2 when it was new. Only devs that could use the console well was 1st and 2nd parties for the first 2 game generations.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Bodhesatva said:
Andir said:

they did.. remember its part of the dev kit and UT3 was announced in 2005 for the PS3 and is the primary console for the Unreal Engine 3. Its completely optimised for the cell and rsx. Its up to devs to actually know wtf they are doing. Thats the major problem with 3rd party right now, they suck at programming. They had problems with the PS2 when it was new. Only devs that could use the console well was 1st and 2nd parties for the first 2 game generations.

Where did you hear that PS3 is the "primary console" for the UE3 engine? o_O

For one, I know that the BASE of development was the PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_engine_3#Unreal_Engine_3_2

But that's all the information I can find, and I assume you're splitting hairs (you said primary console, which I suppose the PC doesn't qualify as). Obviously I think it's possible that the UE3 engine could be optimized for the PS3 -- as I just speculated about it -- I'm just saying it's not apparent yet. Do you have evidence otherwise?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Steve 3.2 said:

Here's a great article on what Sony has lost to date:

Sony's Lost Exclusives: A Timeline - http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/sonys-lost-excl.html

Indeed a good article. Especially shocking is how they didn't say yes to Assassin's Creed and GTA IV...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!