By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SCEA President: "We don't buy exclusivity."

naznatips said:
Did anyone else read this and think "Nintendo 64" right away? Just curious, because it sounds exactly like the attitude that lost it for Nintendo. Sony offered TONS of benefits to Square Enix and other 3rd party developers to get them over to the PSone.

Any proof of this please ?Or do we have to just take your word ?

Around the Network

They don't buy exclusivity? I guess that's because they're saving money for the already "announced" price cut happening before Christmas.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Diomedes1976 said:
naznatips said:
Did anyone else read this and think "Nintendo 64" right away? Just curious, because it sounds exactly like the attitude that lost it for Nintendo. Sony offered TONS of benefits to Square Enix and other 3rd party developers to get them over to the PSone.

Ask that to every gamemagazine freelancer and he knows that.

URNotE said:
they just made a deal with quandemic games... it contradicts everything he just said..

I don't really see this as the same. Funding a small dev studio to help them produce a game isn't like throwing money at a large publisher like R*. You have to realize that if game system manufacturer or publisher ALWAYS has to be the funders of any small dev team, ESPECIALLY this gen, with the higher costs of dev. It's just like the movie business in this regard, and it shouldn't be any different. Now we just need to get is the Teamsters involved.

Overall though(was this Jack?) he should just shut his zarking hole.

I seriously think Sony's best move (without going the Microsoft route of dumping money into big name studio) is to get a bunch of people trained to teach Cell development and techniques. Send them out to these game studios and have them work with the teams for a week or two. Show them how to think about the uses for it and other tricks. Share the information the first party guys are acquiring.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network

Haha and Sony you aren't earning it right now. Should be like a knock in teh face right there.

konnichiwa said:
Diomedes1976 said:
naznatips said:

Ask that to every gamemagazine freelancer and he knows that.

I don't think that was the kind of proof he was looking for.  More like a LINK...

I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle blacker.

I wrote a post recently entitled "Sony needs to change their game plan," in which I suggested that Sony had risen to prominence in this industry by opening their wallet and buying up developers or paying distribution/advertisement costs, etc. for smaller firms.

The problem is that Microsoft is a serious player now, and their wallet is even bigger, and it's showing. Perhaps the best analogy would be: this is a case of the rich kid complaining about the incredibly, super rich kid.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

I guess it depends on how you interpret "buying exclusives". You could say that you paid for production fees or what not, or you could say that a game was scheduled to come out multi-platform and it suddenly changed it mind with their bank account seeing a healthy rise.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Andir said:
I seriously think Sony's best move (without going the Microsoft route of dumping money into big name studio) is to get a bunch of people trained to teach Cell development and techniques. Send them out to these game studios and have them work with the teams for a week or two. Show them how to think about the uses for it and other tricks. Share the information the first party guys are acquiring.

That sounds like a good idea.  I think that the techies would tend to be a lot more influential than the average person when it comes to the public figuring out what games, consoles, or whatever are good.