By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Conversion rate of..."I'm seriously thinking of getting a 360 for this game

I think it is round about 0%.

I've seen it posted by numerous people on this site countless times, but I get the feeling its just a throwaway remark. Even though the post only cosists of that sentiment...

"im seriously thinking of getting a 360 for this game"

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed in an increase in this trend? Does it mean anything? Or is it like when a man who bets his partner says they are going to stop?

Around the Network

I said that about Ace Combat 6, and then after another 3 major exclusives, (+ many more coming this year) and a lot of encouragement from my friend and a price cut I finally buckled.

I think if that goes on for several more games it can turn into a purchase, but it is incredibly rare that 1 game will cause someone to buy a console

The conversion rate is closer to eighty percent. Conversions are not instantaneous once someone professes an interest there is an eighty percent chance they will purchase the console. The only variable is the amount of time it will take. Could be a few weeks, months, a year. Then there are the remaining twenty percent that were not sincere or simply never get around to making a purchase.

I think that is what you are missing. They make the statement then a few months later it becomes a reality. This happened a lot over the summer people saying they were thinking about picking up a 360, because of all the role playing games. Well quite a number of those people who professed this have gotten their hands on a 360 one way or another. On the humorous side however they cover up with bullshit stories to protect their honor, or do not even tell the community as a whole that they have done the unthinkable.

Hell last week I was approached by a key Sony loyalist on these forums asking for advice about which role playing games he should purchase for his new 360. He also had two hundred dollars to spend on them. So the gist of his question was make me a list that fits under two hundred dollars, and I was able to work six titles into the budget. Still feel kind of proud about that.

What is interesting is that this same poster as far as I know has told nobody else, and probably does not want it known. Even though he does have Live he refuses to come hang out with the other community members. Which just does not seem uncommon. Give up the ghost but not the pride. Rail against Microsoft on the forums and buy their console and two hundred dollars worth of games. He asked me not to name him, and honestly I can see why with the shit he would get for doing what he did.

Anyway the conversion rate is a insidious kind of thing. Usually it is the first step in making the plunge they say it off hand then a few months later they have the console and are looking for advice.

I said that about Dead Rising, and was still on the fence. With it coming to Wii now, I don't currently have a need. I might consider it down the line though.

Well you have to consider we are all gamers, or so i tend to believe. That means that we will go where the good games are. There are a lot of good games out or coming out on the 360 spanning a few different genres. So ultimately gamers will realize this and act accordingly. The thing is the 360 is still somewhat of a steep purchase so it will take a few games to really get someone to convert.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

I gotta admit, if I didn't own a 360 now I don't think there are any games that I would buy the console for, as in a single game.

I remember feeling quite different about it though with the PS2 for example, where there was MGS, GTA3, Tekken...I really wanted to experience those games.

Not sure if its an age thing, or the lack of original deep gaming experices that draw you in?

I'm sure it is age to a degree, but hard to put it all down to that.

The only game that has truly felt like "the good old days" would be Dead Rising...loved it.

I bought PS3 for MGS4 only...sure I sold it a month later but yeah...it happens.

I bought a gamecube for Resident Evil 4 as well...sold it a month later...lol.

There is a trend here...

360 I bought cause of Street fighter 2 online, UMK3 online, Halo 3 online...360 as bought cause of online.

dis lemme know any other things you plan to sell.
560$ to play mgs4 that's crazy.

theprof00 said:
dis lemme know any other things you plan to sell.
560$ to play mgs4 that's crazy.

im not selling anything at the moment. And I got more money for my ps3 than I spent on it... I wasn't planning to sell it initially...jsut with the Wii and 360...my gaming hands are full

I bought a 360 to play Banjo-Kazooie, Bioshock and The Orange Box.
Bioshock's excellent reviews pushed me over the fence.