Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 low on stock?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
Of course the PS3 is low on stock. There is no other explanation for the low sales.

None.

At all.

Ever.

 

I suppose the theory that some of those potential PS3 purchasers decided to buy a 360 instead after seeing their E3 press conference and/or realizing they would have to wait several weeks to buy a new non BC PS3, has been proven wrong once and for all, with your post.

The people that buy PS3's just for the BR player, they shouldn't care how much storage it has, no? I guess that accounts for the sales of the console, until supply is restocked.

 

 Your well reasoned, concise and accurate posts have no place on VGchartz, begone with you



Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
irstupid said:
RPGJock said:

 

basically to avoid having to lower the price on the 40 gig and while getting ready to introduce an 80 gig at the same price point.

 

Which is stupid planning by Sony.  They needed to think of a better way to do this.

Yes, it's a very poor way of doing it.  It's short-sighted -- I think because losses have been so bad on the PS3 that they have completely turned their long term strategy around and started focusing on short-term, which is inevitably hurt their future.  There are a variety of ways to handle this that wouldn't be overly expensive and wouldn't have the negative effects of decreasing PS3 sales overall while increasing Xbox 360 sales overall:

(1) They could replace the hard drives in the 40GB units with 80GB drives at retail, upgrading the boxes the way MS upgraded their boxes with games during the holiday season last year.  They could then use the 40GB drives as repair disks, or sell them retail inexpensive so people with 20GB models or failed drives out of warranty could upgrade to 40GB drive at a low cost.  The price set would simply cover their costs of swapping the drives (so maybe $30 for a 40GB drive).

(2) They could offer a promotion such as a free movie or free 'platinum hits' game with 40GB models.  For a lot of people, the savings would be worth it including nearly anyone who didn't use PSN or wouldn't equip their PS3 with broadband.

These two points would cost Sony nothing, or almost nothing.  And they wouldn't lose the sales they're losing now by not having sufficient stock.  Some of those people who would otherwise buy a PS3 are buying a 360.  That's just a fact.

 

not everyone spends their free time going through gaming forums and watching e3 reruns.  they probably don't know that an 80gb is coming out, or they don't care.  Most aren't going to fill up their hard drive anyways.  Hell, I have been downloading a bunch of trailers in the background while I am gaming and have not filled up half of my 80gb hard drive yet.



Burgles said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
Of course the PS3 is low on stock. There is no other explanation for the low sales.

None.

At all.

Ever.

I suppose the theory that some of those potential PS3 purchasers decided to buy a 360 instead after seeing their E3 press conference and/or realizing they would have to wait several weeks to buy a new non BC PS3, has been proven wrong once and for all, with your post.

The people that buy PS3's just for the BR player, they shouldn't care how much storage it has, no? I guess that accounts for the sales of the console, until supply is restocked.

 Your well reasoned, concise and accurate posts have no place on VGchartz, begone with you

Concise?  Yes

Well reasoned?  Maybe

Accurate?  no.

There's no way to know that people saw E3 and said "screw sony, <3 MS".  Like ioi (The site creator) said, there is a shortage.

Would you like the link to when he said that?



I agree : Sony could have played better with the 80gb release (see MS or the PS3 last year)

I also agree : People dont care about console sale : they dont care if PS3 is outsold by Xbox360.
When u are ready to buy a 400$ console, you just stick with your 400$ console target waiting to get it.

Also, overall, Sony is saving a little money and losing a little momentum in sales

... hard to say if it is good or bad.



Time to Work !

Depending on how much 40GB stock is left in distro channels really.

If announcing a discount to retailers was required to move an excess of stock, it probably would have been done. As it stands, retail outlets aren't flooded with soon-to-be-replaced 40GB stock.

While a discount would have been nice for those looking for a cheaper PS3 (new, with manufacturer's warranty, not used), unless it benefits Sony in maintaining profitability, it won't happen until after the 80GB SKU becomes widely available.

Unless a discount on the 40GB would result in a significant bump in sales, which would be short lived anyway due to the limited availability of the SKU, it looks as though Sony would rather reduce losses on hardware instead.

There's no need for special bundles for the 40GB SKU, because they've already stopped leaving the factory. The remaining units really are limited to stock on hand.

Things will pick back up with the availability of the replacement SKU.



Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
madskillz said:
In the U.S., I haven't seen any in Wal-Marts or Best Buys in Houston. However, it's amazing that they're out of stock, and yet they sold 41K. Interesting.

Yeah, The Wii is out of stock in US and Eu yet they manage to pwn the PS360 every week.

Interesting.

Out of stock doesn't mean that there are no PS3s, it meanst that they are extremely hard to find.

Actually, I spotted a Wii at a Wal-Mart here like 1 a.m. and bought it for a co-worker. I have been all over Houston - from South Houston/Webster to Katy (and that's roughly 60 miles with tons of Wal-Marts and other stores between) and I am telling you - the 20gb 360 are vanishing and the PS3s are nowhere to be found. Just my observation in Southern Texas.

You are more likely to find a Wii than a PS3 right now. There are Wii shipments - it's just folks buy them up fast. Not so much with the PS3. See what I am saying?

 



DMeisterJ said:
Burgles said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
Of course the PS3 is low on stock. There is no other explanation for the low sales.

None.

At all.

Ever.

I suppose the theory that some of those potential PS3 purchasers decided to buy a 360 instead after seeing their E3 press conference and/or realizing they would have to wait several weeks to buy a new non BC PS3, has been proven wrong once and for all, with your post.

The people that buy PS3's just for the BR player, they shouldn't care how much storage it has, no? I guess that accounts for the sales of the console, until supply is restocked.

Your well reasoned, concise and accurate posts have no place on VGchartz, begone with you

Concise? Yes

Well reasoned? Maybe

Accurate? no.

There's no way to know that people saw E3 and said "screw sony, <3 MS". Like ioi (The site creator) said, there is a shortage.

Would you like the link to when he said that?

Actually ...

I know at least 3 folks who were thinking about getting a PS3 who now are getting a 360 because of that game coming. Sometimes, folks will buy a system for a game or two. Smart? Nah. However, it's all about the game selection and exclusity. If I can get the same experience for cheaper, why wouldn't I?

 



I went to 2 Targets and a Walmart today. The Walmart had 2 MGS4 bundles, but the Targets were sold out.



libellule said:
Also, overall, Sony is saving a little money and losing a little momentum in sales

... hard to say if it is good or bad.

 

The tradeoff follows: Sony will have more money now and less money (fewer sales) in the future.  As I outlined earlier in this thread, there are a variety of ways they could have handled this better that would have cost them very little or even nothing as they could have recovered all of their costs associated with upgrading the systems or they could have just stamped a few extra movies as a bonus for getting the 40GB version.

Sony is trading marketshare (and the future) to attain profitability a little sooner or take a slightly lower loss.



madskillz said:
DMeisterJ said:
Burgles said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
colonelstubbs said:
Of course the PS3 is low on stock. There is no other explanation for the low sales.

None.

At all.

Ever.

I suppose the theory that some of those potential PS3 purchasers decided to buy a 360 instead after seeing their E3 press conference and/or realizing they would have to wait several weeks to buy a new non BC PS3, has been proven wrong once and for all, with your post.

The people that buy PS3's just for the BR player, they shouldn't care how much storage it has, no? I guess that accounts for the sales of the console, until supply is restocked.

Your well reasoned, concise and accurate posts have no place on VGchartz, begone with you

Concise? Yes

Well reasoned? Maybe

Accurate? no.

There's no way to know that people saw E3 and said "screw sony, <3 MS". Like ioi (The site creator) said, there is a shortage.

Would you like the link to when he said that?

Actually ...

I know at least 3 folks who were thinking about getting a PS3 who now are getting a 360 because of that game coming. Sometimes, folks will buy a system for a game or two. Smart? Nah. However, it's all about the game selection and exclusity. If I can get the same experience for cheaper, why wouldn't I?

Ahh well.

Guess that'll be three less PS3s sold in, hrm, IDK, 18 months or so, when FFXIII finally graces U.S. shores.

Sony will be so hurt.