By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPG's are better than JRPG's

^Discuss

This is my opinion. I guess there will be people who do not agree with me on this. Oh well. I liked the WRPG's I have played but JRPG's being mainly turn based I could not stand at all.

The only JRPG series worth talking about are Pokemon, Dragon's Quest and Final Fantasy series. Those series are mainstream. The other JRPG's are niche and well appeal only to hardcore gamers.

"WRPG's are better than JRPG's"

Around the Network

Some of the others are far better than the current incarnations of FF. Take the SMT brand, for example.

I use to think that too. Then I started to play more Jrpgs that weren't final fantasy or Pokemon, and now my opinion is Jrpgs>Wrpgs. Also Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Pokemon are far from the only Jrpgs worth talking about. They aren't even the best imo.

sc94597 said:

I use to think that too. Then I started to play more Jrpgs that weren't final fantasy or Pokemon, and now my opinion is Jrpgs>Wrpgs. Also Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Pokemon are far from the only Jrpgs worth talking about. They aren't even the best imo.

Those big three are mainstream that the average gamer knows about. There are lots of better JRPG's that appeal to the niche market of hardcore JRPG gamers.

Wow. I actually agree with something Rock_on_2008 says. That's a first.

In all honesty, I don't understand the allure of JRPGs. Playing the a FF game is like watching the Lord of the Rings Trilogy while playing D&D and drinking heavily. The plot doesn't make any sense, the combat is long and boring, and it's just too long.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Around the Network

Hell no! damn western players have ruined the best game genre ever with their lack of patience and pretty much made every damn RPG a hack and slash crap.

Bring back random encounters and worldmap ala FF1-9.

thats why Lost Odessey is my favorite rpg this gen.

Long? games should be long the longer the better I wich games could be 80+ hours main story.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

i like wrpgs, but i like the jrpgs a lot more

I like WRPG's because they are easier to play and I understand the story. However JRPG's I find are very difficult to play, complex long drawn out stories that I find very tedious and boring.

WRPG's are just dumbing down the genre.
JRPG>WRPG

Rock_on_2008 said:
I like WRPG's because they are easier to play and I understand the story. However JRPG's I find are very difficult to play, complex long drawn out stories that I find very tedious and boring.

That means that you want a straightfoward story which can be very boring if done poorly.  I find the complex stories more interesting than the straightfoward ones.  If you think any JRPGs story doesn't make sense, then you never played Lost Planet or Ninja Gaiden.  The stories of those two games make no sense at all and are marred by terrible writing.