By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WRPG's are better than JRPG's

As long as the RPG is fun to play, I don't care where it is made, though looking at my gaming library, I have way more JRPGs than WRPGs.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Around the Network

I generally find WRPG's on the painfully boring side :x I like knowing where a developer wanted to go with a game, I LOVE the cutscenes, I like the story being told to me, shown to me, whenever I get the story told to me as I'm playing, I never catch all of it :/ probably because I'm doing something else at the time >_> and I'm easily distracted. I dunno, there's just certain things in story's that can't be done without cutscenes.

That and I generally like Japanese style of storytelling and action :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I prefer JRPGs more, but I love TES and Fallout series for WRPGs only.

This one really is "how do you like your eggs" I love jrpg's but i also think that Oblivion has to be one of the greatest games ever made (ignoring the obvious bugs) so for me i just like eggs.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

The only WRPG's I've really tried were from Bioware, and I've never been able to get into it.  I've looked at vids of Fallout and Oblivion and they don't look like they'd interest me.  Perhaps one day I'll try em and find something I like (assuming Blizzard games don't count).

Around the Network

Bioware is the best RPG company around. With that said I prefer JRPGs to WRPG.

Another Opinion.. I am an avid JRPG player.

It's impossible to say that WRPGs are better ,in general,than JRPGs and vice versa
Both have good and bad games(my personal favorite coming from the J camp though) but to say that one is always better than the other is ignorant.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

hell yeah, just take a look at oblivion, it got me in high expectance for fallout

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I prefer the complexity of WRPGs like Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2.

They have complex rulesets that the player must learn, highly strategic gameplay, lots of micromanagement. You have to think and plan about what skills, stats, abilities, equipment and character builds you use in order to survive

Games like Oblivion and Mass Effect are watered down product for gamers who lack the mental acumen or patience to play a real WRPG. No substance at all.

I laugh at people who think JRPGs are any more difficult than WRPGs. That has never really been true, and it's definitely not true in this day and age of mainstream gaming. Shin Megami Tensei is the only exception