By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii selling faster then SNES in Japan

A direct comparison between the first 11 weeks of Wii and SNES sales shows that Wii is the fastest selling Nintendo console ever - nearly 1.6 million for Wii compared to 850,000 for SNES. SNES went on to sell 17 million in total - can Wii emulate the success of Nintendo back when they originally dominated the industry?

Around the Network

A direct comparison between the first 14 weeks of PS3 and Ps1 sales shows that PS3 is selling faster Ps1 sold a totalt of ca 80 million WW umm do i have some thing to say? im sorry i Wiil no use more time and type the rest

Yes, and the PS2 is caning the PS3 ;) You can't really compare the PS3 to the PS1. The PS1 had virtually no competition (N64 always had severe hardware issues - cart based, no RAM, etc). There was also virtually no hype and the PS brand was new. Need to give things 12 months to settle down anyway. Im sure the PS3 will improve, but also sure that the Wii (and probably the 360) will outsell it.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Well if we look at the system's predecessors, The wii has sold 1,592,000 in 11 weeks. To sell 1,600,000 took the gamecube fifty three weeks! That's one hell of a climb for Nintendo. It looks like they'll sell more this year than the Gamecube did in its lifetime. The PS3 has sold 668,250 in it's first 14 weeks. The PS2 sold 706,250 in it's launch week! It also had over 2 mill by this time in their launch. The thing was a hit from day one. Incedentally, it's currently ahead of the Wii, but not by much. Considering the larger launch numbers it had, the Wii could surpass it within the next few months. Now for the poor box of X, 62 weeks in, the little box that couldn't has mustered 345,500 in sales. It's predecessor had 394,250 at this point in the game. How can the 360 be selling worse than the first X-box you ask? Well it all seems to be about the launch, with the xbox having 176 thousand after its first month and the 360 having only 86 thousand. That said, the 360's hardware sales have increased dramatically (everything is relative) lately, and software sales have already surpassed the xbox's despite the fewer numbers.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Wii will definitely do better than GC. The market they are targeting is in the billions so even if they only get 5% of it, they will have sold probably at least twice as much as the GC and as much as the SNES.

Around the Network

stof said: Now for the poor box of X, 62 weeks in, the little box that couldn't has mustered 345,500 in sales. It's predecessor had 394,250 at this point in the game. How can the 360 be selling worse than the first X-box you ask? Well it all seems to be about the launch, with the xbox having 176 thousand after its first month and the 360 having only 86 thousand.
Yes, I think a lot of people have missed this fact. And I'll be interested to see the figures - but I suspect its the same worldwide. This is the big challenge for MS from here - Xbox launched 3rd, and was obviously the most powerful console. The 360 now has competition - and may be squeezed the same way the GC was. Its less powerful than the PS3, and less innovative than the Wii. I can't see them falling over completely - but they needed to target more "mainstream" users - rather than the same people who got the original xbox. I can see the 360 & PS3 doing a lot of damage to each others (sales), with the Wii on its own. I dont think MS would really mind this - they are not worried by Nintendo, but are worried by Sony. Their aim for this generation may be to do as much damage to the Playstation brand as possible.

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

but they needed to target more "mainstream" users - rather than the same people who got the original xbox. ----------------------------------------------- Problem is, their biggest attempt at this (Viva Pinata) fell flat on its face! The fact that a hyped 1st party game aimed at a different audience failed commercially is going to kill what chance there was of third party games aimed at different audiences. Maybe Banjo can change that... And maybe XBLA can (if it can start getting a more steady content stream...) But so far I think they may have scared developers away from broader programming...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said: Problem is, their biggest attempt at this (Viva Pinata) fell flat on its face! The fact that a hyped 1st party game aimed at a different audience failed commercially is going to kill what chance there was of third party games aimed at different audiences. Maybe Banjo can change that... And maybe XBLA can (if it can start getting a more steady content stream...) But so far I think they may have scared developers away from broader programming...
I wouldn't consider Pinata a "mainstream" game - to me its obviously targetted at the childrens market. Look at the stuff that has done really well on the PS2 recently - Singstar, Buzz, Eyetoy - now that's mainstream. Where is the 360 camera and associated games? MS need to bring a pack out now with the camera, and maybe some fitness or Wii Sports style games. Trying so hard to captute the hardcore gaming market - forgetting about everyone else. My GF's mother, sister and friend were here last night - just to play Wii Sports. There isn't a single game on the 360 (or the PS3) that would even slightly interest them (or get a glance).

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

I want a 360 FOR Viva. However I am NOT paying 400$ for a console to play 2 games. I bought a 600$ PS3, becuase I know of at least 10 games I want in 2007. At the end of 2007... there are about 5 360 games I would STILL want. With the Wii that could... I make myself laugh. With about 4. However the Wii's price-point, and innovative controls... is why I have one... tho it's gathering dust. (like the 360 if I had one) I use the PS3 for playing PS2 games, DVD, BluRay... every day. I use it to download all the Movie trailers they get, and BluRay trailers... becuase the trailers you can get on the PS3... put anything on the 'net to shame. Full 1080p trailers... are REALLY nice... when you have a 1080p screen. I wont hand this generation to the Wii, because the PS3 is an animal. The 360, is a online circus. I will say I expect the Wii sales to have a MAJOR drop after x-mas 2008. (becuase of it's price point most people who want one, will have one). And the PS3... Will continue to go strong. Because with most people I know's budget... Will take 6 months to buy one. Also. I was at wal-mart earlier today. they had 4. Went by 4 hours later to pick something up... sold all 4 of em'. 1 360 was sold too. and I dont think any Wii's were sold... there werent any when I first went in... and there werent any when I went back in. :P EDIT: Viva isnt really... for children... from what I've seen on Viva... it's kinda... twisted... >.>

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:I use it to download all the Movie trailers they get, and BluRay trailers... becuase the trailers you can get on the PS3... put anything on the 'net to shame. Full 1080p trailers... are REALLY nice... when you have a 1080p screen.
OMG, next gen is totally about trailers for Sony films. Who cares about games?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"