By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGChartz members failure rate (Wii)...

One since launch, and one sice about April. Some minor syncing problems, but I can't tell if that's my fault or the hardware's. Very occasional freezes, but rebooting solves the problem fine.

Around the Network

Got mine one week after launch (11-26). It's fine so far. I think I had to sync the controller once this Spring, but I think I'd played with that controller on another Wii shortly before that, so perhaps it had to get to know its home again. *shrug*

We have 2 UK Wiis and 1 USA Wii if you want to know why we have 3.

We did only have 1 UK and 1 USA but I bought another UK Wii so we all could play online together (as it's free unlike when we had 2 Xbox360s) and also so I could register my second Nintendo Europe account with almost 25,000 stars and hopefully soon be able to get VC games with them as so far I have resisted buying any.

For some strange reason though the USA Wii takes about 3 times as long to download updates than the UK ones.

llewdebkram said:

For some strange reason though the USa Wii takes about 3 times as long to download updates than the UK ones.

Probably because you're in Europe, distance does play a factor if you didn't know.

llewdebkram said:

We have 2 UK Wiis and 1 USA Wii if you want to know why we have 3.

We did only have 1 UK and 1 USA but I bought another UK Wii so we all could play online together (as it's free unlike when we had 2 Xbox360s) and also so I could register my second Nintendo Europe account with almost 25,000 stars and hopefully soon be able to get VC games with them as so far I have resisted buying any.

For some strange reason though the USA Wii takes about 3 times as long to download updates than the UK ones.

Yup, the US one will certainly try and connect to the US servers - whereas the UK ones will connect to your (local?) servers. Lower pings, and probably less traffic.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Got mine a couple of months ago.  Other than one instance where I had to unplug it in order to restart it, there have been no problems.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

twesterm said:
shams said:

Ended up with a defective SD card slot (although we didn't really realise it, nor did it actually impact us). It wasn't till the "infamous engagement part incident" (i.e. DS card inserted into CD slot) that we had to send it to Nintendo, and we got sent a new one. We lost all our saves & settings (guess Nintendo couldn't restore/backup all the data due to the defective SD slot?) - but still had our VC purchases (losing everything sucked big time).

How/why did you insert a DS card into the CD slot? I assume you have enough intelligence to stand upright so have to assume it was some sort of incredible accident.

Well, I can definitely say that it wasn't ME that did that ;)

Read this thread...

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=1582

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

^^ I still love hearing that story, I managed to drop my wii but not very high up and only once or twice never had any problem with it, just like all my Nintendo stuff, still have my gameboy from the late 80s, still works great, the screen goes black once and a while but comes back when you squeese it, very od but I´m very impressed it still works,

shams said:
twesterm said:
shams said:

Ended up with a defective SD card slot (although we didn't really realise it, nor did it actually impact us). It wasn't till the "infamous engagement part incident" (i.e. DS card inserted into CD slot) that we had to send it to Nintendo, and we got sent a new one. We lost all our saves & settings (guess Nintendo couldn't restore/backup all the data due to the defective SD slot?) - but still had our VC purchases (losing everything sucked big time).

How/why did you insert a DS card into the CD slot? I assume you have enough intelligence to stand upright so have to assume it was some sort of incredible accident.

Well, I can definitely say that it wasn't ME that did that ;)

Read this thread...

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=1582

Wow.  There's really not much else to say about that other than I'm glad I don't have to call you an idiot. 

Oh, and late congrats on the engagement. 

Well I tallied up all the responses thus far: 73 total Wii purchases (I took everyone's word for their friends owning a Wii and whatnot)..

Out of 73 purchases, 68 (93%) had no major problems

Out of 68 working Wiis, 21 (31%) had minor, temporary software/controller problems. But nothing to send in to Nintendo for...

Out of 73 total purchases, 5 (7%) had to be sent back in to Nintendo for repairs.

This was just my own calculations, but I think I got all the numbers correct.