By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGChartz members failure rate (Wii)...

Just curious, after reading the Xbox360 failure rate thread (they are @ 40% failure), how many of you Wii owners have had to ship your console to get repaired or replaced?

I'll start. I bought 2 wiis on launch day, and one of them crapped out after downloading the first update, and wouldn't read discs anymore.

I called on sunday, and had a new console on wednesday (right before thanksgiving).

Also post here if you have one, and it HASNT failed.

Around the Network

I have bought 2... I bought 1 for myself and one for my brother... both work great. Mine was a launch day system and my brother got his in April.

My launch day unit runs very cool to the touch... I've heard of people complain about hot Wii's... mine is room temp.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

I got mine at launch, no real problems as of yet

Edit: same goes for a friend who bought at launch, and also another two friends who bought it soon after launch

Wiis run hot when they're turned off and in WiiConnect24 mode, because the fan doesn't run.  Still, "hot" is relative, mine gets fairly warm to touch but nothing I would consider dangerous.

I bought my Wii on launch day and it's still working.  Mine locked up once during an update, and locked up once after exiting a Virtual Console game, but a reset fixed the problem both times.

I have a launch system and haven't had any trouble with it.
It does run a little warmer at times but doesn't seem like anything serious.

My brother also has a launch system and had a minor issue with some of the earlier updates but it didn't brick his system.

A couple other friends that have the system also haven't reported any issues with it.

Around the Network

I have a launch system that has averaged a good 25 hours a week playing games (it has seen some very busy weeks ;) and it hasn't had a problem.

I have had a few gfx errors, causing red/yellow/purple pixels to appear, but they've disappeared. My Wii has also frozen during an update, but nothing I can't fix by holding the power button for 10 seconds and releasing.

mine runs pretty smoothly. although sometimes when i'm playing some gamecube games, it freezes up. I bought them used though so that could be the problem as the other new gamecube games i bought didn't run into any trouble.

bought mine at launch, no prob at all so far

I bought mine in March and never had any problem, it is kinda warm at standby but it is because what they said up here, because the fan is not running