By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGChartz members failure rate (Wii)...

shams said:

Had a few software crashes (had SSX lock up on us this morning - resetting hardware fixed/restored it).

Ended up with a defective SD card slot (although we didn't really realise it, nor did it actually impact us). It wasn't till the "infamous engagement part incident" (i.e. DS card inserted into CD slot) that we had to send it to Nintendo, and we got sent a new one. We lost all our saves & settings (guess Nintendo couldn't restore/backup all the data due to the defective SD slot?) - but still had our VC purchases (losing everything sucked big time).

So apart from software related crashes, looks like the Wii is "fairly" stable (no where near 360 failure rates anyway).

I do worry a little about the drives in the Wii in general. Hope they don't die within 3-4 years...

How/why did you insert a DS card into the CD slot?  I assume you have enough intelligence to stand upright so have to assume it was some sort of incredible accident.

Around the Network

I have had mine since December. No problems thus far.

I'm going to get mine replaced just before the warranty is up, when there aren't many new games out I want. The problem with mine is the drive is defective in that it makes an insanely high pitched whirring noise when it plays a disc. It's so loud it overpowers the noise from the game unless I crank the TV. Right now though, I'm still playing some games and when I'm not going to be playing it for a 1-2 week period, I'll send it in for replacement/repair. :D

llewdebkram said:
No problem with any of our 3 Wiis, but one of the Wiimotes didn't work out of the box.

3??!! What a luxury :D

With my WII it also frozen a few times with the shopping / mii channel, but that's more like an online / software problem then a hardware problem. It seems like almost everyone has that from time to time. Though it happens very little.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Got my Wii at the Dec 8th Launch, No problems so far, a couple of freezes with the Beta Web Browser early in the year, but you expect that with Beta software.

The 2 other Wii owners I know have had no problems either.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network

Launch day Wii (paid a great ammount of money to have a Launch Wii in Brazil :P)

No problems so far. My Wii only "stops" sometimes during online updates or visiting the Wii Shop Channel, so I think the problem is my poor internet connection.

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

Wii since Feb 6th, and i recently worked out how long i have used it for from purchase to june 30th, total 348hours (ecluding GC games which it doesn't track, i reckon about 30 more hours for GC)

290ish of those hours were Wii games of which 140 was just from TP (2 of my own full playthroughs and a friends main quest playthrough)

problems? it has frozen twice on the shop channel, (whilst trying to load it up) and once when i tried to get back to the Wii menu from the early version of the internet....both times it was fine after turning off and back on.

also frozen for SSX Blur once, but fine since.

can't remember any other problems.

two other Wiis i know of and one 360 also have had no problems, (at least none significant enough for me to be told about)

p.s N64 still works (occasional "blow into the cartridge" problem) and my GC had frozen about 20 times in it's lifetime (launch till last november) untill i sold it.

Got mine for Yule. The only noteworthy problems I've had are GC games crashing two or three times. Never heard any of my Wii owning friends have had problems, although I haven't heard of any from the ones with Xbox 360s either.

Seems like the issues are the occasional freeze (especially when using internet applications and gamecube games) and Wiimotes refusing to sync. Nothing particularly major. Good to know that there haven't been many actual hardware failures, though there seem to be a couple issues.

Launch day Wii.
Had it freeze twice while playing a new Red Steel but that game was all around glitchy anways.
The occasional sync problem and the occasional black hole when trying to load a channel.
Almost all of this hasn't happened in a few months now. Just calculated and over 700 hours playtime