By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGChartz members failure rate (Wii)...

Legend11 said:
Smash_Brother said:
Legend11 said:
If Microsoft had simply chose to repackage a slightly more powerful Xbox with a new controller it likely wouldn't be having these issues either.

You're right.

All they did was repackage the a slightly more powerful xbox with the same controller. 

The 360 is a lot more powerful than the Xbox.  Anyways sorry for getting this discussion off topic I was just trying to point out something, I guess we all don't agree with the point I was trying to make.

I was editing while you were posting.

And on the subject, Wiis aren't being shipped with old GC hardware.

I've seen the inside of both machines: GC hardware doesn't fit in the Wii's profile. The Wii's internal components and the 360's components should be held to the exact same expectations.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
It's kind of ridiculous to compare failure rates between the Wii and 360. If Microsoft had simply chose to repackage a slightly more powerful Xbox with a new controller it likely wouldn't be having these issues either. It is fair to compare the PS3 to the 360 though and in that case even I'll admit that Sony did an amazing job with build quality (from the lack of complaints of faulty hardware from PS3 owners).

I disagree there man, quality of the manufacturing has nothing to do with power or the usage of the same components (that there isnt much). Gamecube was overall very well made and it was not based on an older console, even the original Xbox was bulletproof.

Legend11 said:
It's kind of ridiculous to compare failure rates between the Wii and 360. If Microsoft had simply chose to repackage a slightly more powerful Xbox with a new controller it likely wouldn't be having these issues either. It is fair to compare the PS3 to the 360 though and in that case even I'll admit that Sony did an amazing job with build quality (from the lack of complaints of faulty hardware from PS3 owners).

Failure rates are failure rates. The quality of the hardware is what we're talking about here, not how much the hardware costs. What suprises me is the total refusal of microsoft to fix their hardware problems.

RolStoppable said:

We all know that the vast majority of people have a great experience, they LOVE the box and they LOVE to talk about it whenever they get a chance to do so.

But this is a thread about Wii failure rates, so let's get back on topic.

Well said Rol.

Well, my Wii actually died. So it's getting replaced ASAP. The disc drive is shot and stopped reading the discs, so I'll be getting my replacement in the next week or so.

Nintendo has an AMAZING return policy though. For starters, my kids broke off the panels for the GC controllers and memory card. They're useless now, Nintendo doesn't care. Not only do they send you a replacement first, they also cover the costs for shipping it back to them, however a CC # is required and 21 days are given to return the Wii, or they charge your CC. On top of that, if they can't fix the Wii's that are sent back within a few hours, they trash them. It gets a 10 point inspection from a certified technician before it's put back to someone else who lost their Wii for any reason. I'll let everyone know if the replacement Wii was better than my original. :D

Around the Network

I've had my Wii since Feb. I've had two problems that were worse than minor but nothing to think about calling Nintendo over. One was a serious sync issue with the controller. I ended up have to unplug the power cord and re-syncing to fix it. The other was an odd lock up going back to the Wii menu from a game. Unplugging the cord fixed that one also.

I've had my Wii Since launch, still running great. Only problem was it froze once, but that was it.

Though, one time it wouldn't accept a game disk I was trying to insert. So I pressed eject and a credit card popped out. I was like "Wow! It really does print money!". To my disappointment, it was a credit card of my own. My 1.5 year old son had put it in there.

Two separate friends of mine have had a Wii for a few months, problem free.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Hawk said:
I've had my Wii Since launch, still running great. Only problem was it froze once, but that was it.

Though, one time it wouldn't accept a game disk I was trying to insert. So I pressed eject and a credit card popped out. I was like "Wow! It really does print money!". To my disappointment, it was a credit card of my own. My 1.5 year old son had put it in there.

Two separate friends of mine have had a Wii for a few months, problem free.

You'd better check your Wii point balance, your son might have purchased ten thousand Wii points when your credit card was in there.

I have a launch Wii, I've had no problems except for some freezing during internet browsing and the Shopping Channel. I've had no problems while playing games.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Kwaad said:
Mine runs fine still... even though it's like new... still smells new when I turn it on. (the exhaust air)

However it makes a horrific Grinding/clicking sound when it is turned on/off, and when a disc is loaded... but that's normal for this great peice of machinery.

Ran my PS3 for well over 600+ hours so far. (folding@home time)
I'd say around 100-200 hours on motorstorm, about 40 on Enchanted arms, about 10 on SSDHD, and around 15-20 on the Darkness...

So I'd give the PS3 around 700 hours of runtime. Add in the fact I have a bad habbit of not starting folding at home... add around 100-200 hours... So I've ran my PS3 for damn near 1000hours. Not a single problem yet.

Um....That's not normal.

And you may have misread the title.  This is "VGChartz members failure rate (Wii)..."  I think the rest of your post was ment for "VGChartz members failure rate (PS3)...".  It doesn't belong here

mancandy said:
Hawk said:

You'd better check your Wii point balance, your son might have purchased ten thousand Wii points when your credit card was in there.

::laugh::  You may be right there.  Because he's done it before.  Through playing on my wife's cellphone, he downloaded a game to it, accepting the fee, which appeared on the monthly bill.