By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I hate discussing abortion because it's impossible to have well-reasoned an respectful conversation. However, since this forum is one of the most even-tempered discussions on abortion I've ever seen, I'll add my two cents.

First) The only Pro-choice argument that has moral and ethical merit is the fact that a women who is seeking abortion should not be forced to go to "Uncle Joe's Abortion Clinic" in a bedarkened New York alley. They should have a safe and clean clinic available.

Second) Abortion is one of the few topics that causes conservative leaning people to toss logic and reasoning out the window and rely simply on unreasonable emotion (which usually characterizes liberal ideology *zing* :p ). And since unreasoning emotion is what leads the thought process certain problems arise, namely mis-identification of the problem and solutions that are nothing but nonsense.

Many Pro-lifers believe the problem is Roe v Wade, or the fact that Women have been given the right to abort. And the solution is to resend said right. Which of course is a non solution since women who want abortions will get abortions.

The best course of action is to gather some facts. In this country abortion is performed for three main reasons:
1)Medical Need
2)Pregnancy resulting from rape
3)Preganacy resulting from consensual sex.

What do the stats show? Is there a bias toward medical need or toward pregnancy resulting from consensual sex? I don’t know because I have never seen research on it. But if the bias is leaning toward medical need then abortion is being used correctly, if else then the reasons why need to be explored.

Here are some possible reasons off the top of my head:
1)Cost of Adoption and legal hassles related to adoption. Could these be alleviated?
2)Education. Does teaching strictly abstinence help prevent pregnancy?
3)Propaganda. Is the idea that a fetus is not a human life widely believed? If so, educate. The fetus performs life functions like metabolism and growth and is indeed genotypically human.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Around the Network

Propaganda. Is the idea that a fetus is not a human life widely believed? If so, educate. The fetus performs life functions like metabolism and growth and is indeed genotypically human.

It is widely believed because it isn't necessarily. It all depends on your definition of human life. Some believe it is upon the creation of a unique genetic code - conception, others believe it is upon the first brain activity - 12 to 13 weeks, some believe it is when the fetus is viable - around 20-24 weeks, some believe it is at birth - about 9 months, heck, some people even believe that it is upon becoming self aware which is quite some time after birth.

Metabolism and growth aren't the definition of a human life and to be honest there isn't one, at what point it stops being a fetus and becomes a person is hugely debatable and to educate that any single point is scientifically correct would be wrong as there is no consensus.

^hm that is valid but should it be taught that all life is important in some fashion or another?

I'm considering life in a biological sense. Growth and Metabolism are just examples of such biological functions.

Honestly, considering life on any other measure is nonsense. Plants have no brain waves, but are alive. Fungi never become self-aware, but are alive.

A human fetus is biological life + a unique(new) human genotype. By definition it's new biological entity or life. 

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

^agreed

Around the Network

Pro, it is a good option for a lot of people. i don't want to deny people of options in life that are beneficial for them

makingmusic476 said:
Rath said:
makingmusic476 said:
Pro-life through and through. Even in the case of rape, the baby could still be adopted.

That'd be well good if;

1) The child being adopted magically solved the emotional harm caused by carrying a giving birth to a child conceived through rape.

2) Adoption was a magical thing that meant that every unwanted child got a loving family and there weren't already hundreds of thousands of unwanted children up for adoption.

1.  The majority of the emotional harm would stem from the actual raping, and the probability of guilt from the abortion would only make things worse.

2. See my post above.

So, exactly how many times have you been raped?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The last two pages of this thread have turned me from pro-choice to pro-abortion.

Is it too late to get started ex post facto?

^sheds tear for you

mesoteto said:
^sheds tear for you

Don't waste your time.