By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Nintendo has "ruined" gaming

Lets see ,we have all seen videos of Mario Galaxy running side by side with Mario Sunshine ,and Metroid 3 running side by side to Metroid Echoes.There isnt a big difference ,no matter what you say.And the Xbox was even more powerful that the Cube.

Maybe the Cube is somewhat better ,but all that extra optimisation and power goes to representing the same graphics in 480p.

About the controllers ,well ....when the Wiimote allows to control a game as NInja Gaiden Sigma ,as Call of Duty4 ,as Devil May Cry 4 ,as Mass Effect ,as a true Pro Evolution Soccer , just the same as the traditional controllers then we speak.The Wiimote is a innovative idea (well ,they had a first go with the Power Glove in the 80s and the Xavix console preceded the Wii for a whole year and some months) but it just doesnt work very well.It has brought a simplicity to games to appeal to all publics ,but the next step we all know wich will be ....do the same but with better graphics and a more capable controller(more inputs ,more accuracy)...in a way they are trying to cover some distance with the Wii Motion Plus add-on.

So if they will follow the trend for more complexity later on whats this?A reboot of the industry to a less advanced state to dumb it down enough to appel more people that will be lost in the future no matter what?Or will it keep as simple and dumbed down as it is forever?

None of the possibilities are too good.The first is just this being the "generation lost" of gaming ,the second well is making flash games the future and that cant be.Or it could be ,but would be in fact the "ruining" of gaming we were speaking about.

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
Lets see ,we have all seen videos of Mario Galaxy running side by side with Mario Sunshine ,and Metroid 3 running side by side to Metroid Echoes.There isnt a big difference ,no matter what you say.And the Xbox was even more powerful that the Cube.

Maybe the Cube is somewhat better ,but all that extra optimisation and power goes to representing the same graphics in 480p.

About the controllers ,well ....when the Wiimote allows to control a game as NInja Gaiden Sigma ,as Call of Duty4 ,as Devil May Cry 4 ,as Mass Effect ,as a true Pro Evolution Soccer , just the same as the traditional controllers then we speak.The Wiimote is a innovative idea (well ,they had a first go with the Power Glove in the 80s and the Xavix console preceded the Wii for a whole year and some months) but it just doesnt work very well.It has brought a simplicity to games to appeal to all publics ,but the next step we all know wich will be ....do the same but with better graphics and a more capable controller(more inputs ,more accuracy)...in a way they are trying to cover some distance with the Wii Motion Plus add-on.

So if they will follow the trend for more complexity later on whats this?A reboot of the industry to a less advanced state to dumb it down enough to appel more people that will be lost in the future no matter what?Or will it keep as simple and dumbed down as it is forever?

None of the possibilities are too good.The first is just this being the "generation lost" of gaming ,the second well is making flash games the future and that cant be.Or it could be ,but would be in fact the "ruining" of gaming we were speaking about.

Listen I am too tired too read all what you wrote but I want too add that instead of having too push a button you do a motion that has the same effect. You can do allot more with the Wii then you can with any other controller live with it I know it can be hard sometimes but you need too accept things in life…

Both Mario and Metroid on Wii has better textures and lighting and allot more stuff happening on screen.

And they came early in the Wiis life. Its not all about graphics. Lol the 360 had games that looked crap at fist. Look at the conduit(sp?) now

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

I play the Wii because some soccer moms are hot!!!

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Diomedes1976 said:

I really don't get it ...

For 30 years people worked hard and dreamed about the day when videogames would obtain the level of visual and simulation quality that the Wii represents, and simply because there is hardware which is slightly (in the grand scheme of things) more powerful than the Wii it is a step backwards in the progression of videogames?

Seriously, grow up and gain perspective on just how good you have things!

Roma said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Listen I am too tired too reed all what you wrote but I want too add that instead of having too push a button you do a motion that has the same effect. You can do allot more with the Wii then you can with any other controller live with it I know it can be hard sometimes but you need too accept things in life…

Both Mario and Metroid on Wii has better textures and lighting and allot more stuff happening on screen.

And they came early in the Wiis life. Its not all about graphics. Lol the 360 had games that looked crap at fist. Look at the conduit(sp?) now

LOL lets see thats exactly what I was speaking about.In the other consoles you move a analog stick and push a button and on the Wii you move the controller.Well ,the issue is that in traditional controllers you have two analog sticks that can be used at the same time ,plus 4 face buttons (even more if you counts select and start) and 4 more buttons in the back.That allows for a lot of different combinations and richness controlling something.In the Wii you move the controller ,but you cant do two things at the same time because of this.You can use the nunchuck to some degree ,but making combinations about moving the nunchuck or the stick of the nunchuck some place and at the same time do something tricky with the wiimote is tricky and the casual crowd the wii is diriged at wont do things as those ...even in that case the absence of buttons and analog sticks make the possibility of combination inferior.In any case I dont think I have to demostrate anything ,it has been demostrated that most Wii traditional games have control issues.The wiimote feels kind of good for aiming and for gimmicky gamplay in minigames compilation ,thats all.Aside from those genres the best games in the Wii are those that use the nunchuk most as Mario Galaxy.

As for graphics(and IA ,and phisic effects and the playability those come with ) I think everything is clear.The best Wii games are basically Cube games with a  very little more polish.The examples of Galaxy and Sunshine and Metroid and Metroid Echoes are there ,find a comparision in the net and then tell me how better the Wii games are to the Cube ones...for me its a very small improvement.And the other "best looking" Wii games those are ports of Cube and PS2 games as RE4 ,Okami and Zelda TP.That speaks volumes,but hey if you think Nintendo has really pushed the technical aspect there are a lot of articles by fanboys in the internet you can rely on to try to convince everybody that the Wii is a good step ahead.Add one of you own as you are trying to do here and lets see if you can convince anyone.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Diomedes1976 said:

I really don't get it ...

For 30 years people worked hard and dreamed about the day when videogames would obtain the level of visual and simulation quality that the Wii represents, and simply because there is hardware which is slight (in the grand scheme of things) more powerful than the Wii it is a step backwards in the progression of videogames?

Seriously, grow up and gain perspective on just how good you have things!

Thats only your opinion.I can assure you that back in the Dreamcast days with Virtua Tennis my dream wasnt to have a worse looking game where I cant even control the player run but I get to hit the ball(well ,three times of four at least) with a swing of my hand.For core gamers the evolution of the industry was just fine as it was,I think it most Nintendo fans that by having their company in the top again seem compelled to justify whatever.

Million said:
Wii owners will agree , 360/PS3 owners will disagree.

Good day sir.

Great. No man can be changed, so why even bother? We're all much better at just spewing out garbage anyway.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

KZ2 said:
Standing up and waving your hand at a TV screen to play a game. That does not sounds like much fun to me. I much rather play a shooter game on a HD console or PC.
But to other people including once non gamers (soccer mums, girls, grandmas and grandpas) and casuals the Wii is a breath of fresh air. It brings people to play games who like the idea of the motion control.
Each to their own opinion and tastes. A boring world it would be if we all had the same interests.

Some folks will never lose a toe but then again some folks will...

Like KZ2 the one eyed yokel...

Diomedes1976 said:
Roma said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Listen I am too tired too reed all what you wrote but I want too add that instead of having too push a button you do a motion that has the same effect. You can do allot more with the Wii then you can with any other controller live with it I know it can be hard sometimes but you need too accept things in life…

LOL lets see thats exactly what I was speaking about.In the other consoles you move a analog stick and push a button and on the Wii you move the controller.Well ,the issue is that in traditional controllers you have two analog sticks that can be used at the same time ,plus 4 face buttons (even more if you counts select and start) and 4 more buttons in the back.That allows for a lot of different combinations and richness controlling something.In the Wii you move the controller ,but you cant do two things at the same time because of this.You can use the nunchuck to some degree ,but making combinations about moving the nunchuck or the stick of the nunchuck some place and at the same time do something tricky with the wiimote is tricky and the casual crowd the wii is diriged at wont do things as those ...even in that case the absence of buttons and analog sticks make the possibility of combination inferior.In any case I dont think I have to demostrate anything ,it has been demostrated that most Wii traditional games have control issues.The wiimote feels kind of good for aiming and for gimmicky gamplay in minigames compilation ,thats all.Aside from those genres the best games in the Wii are those that use the nunchuk most as Mario Galaxy.

As for graphics(and IA ,and phisic effects and the playability those come with ) I think everything is clear.The best Wii games are basically Cube games with a  very little more polish.The examples of Galaxy and Sunshine and Metroid and Metroid Echoes are there ,find a comparision in the net and then tell me how better the Wii games are to the Cube ones...for me its a very small improvement.And the other "best looking" Wii games those are ports of Cube and PS2 games as RE4 ,Okami and Zelda TP.That speaks volumes,but hey if you think Nintendo has really pushed the technical aspect there are a lot of articles by fanboys in the internet you can rely on to try to convince everybody that the Wii is a good step ahead.Add one of you own as you are trying to do here and lets see if you can convince anyone.

lol ok but can you use two analog sticks and push a button? Maybe you have an extra thumb ore something I don’t know. But normally you can’t. You see with the Wii you can do that as in the motion thing replaces’ one of the sticks that leaves your thumb free to push a button at the same time as you move

and I am not saying they pushed the Wii foreword by much but they did not go back as you said

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Diomedes1976 said:
Roma said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Lets use a play station controler vs a gamecube controler

2 analog sticks vs 2

D pad vs D pad

Start/Select vs start                        1 to the PS

4 shoulder buttons vs 3                  1 to the PS

4 face buttons(Triangle etc) vs 4

2 joystick buttons vs 0                      2 to the PS

For a total of 4 buttons the Playstation has more then the game cube

Now if we replace the wii with the gamecube

2 analog sticks vs 1 analog stick and a pointer

D pad vs Dpad

2 left shoulder buttons vs 2 left shoulder buttons

4 action buttons(Square,X,Triangle,Circle) vs 2 buttons(a and B)   2 to the PS

Start selec vs + and -

2 right shoulder buttons vs 2 other buttons (1,2)

2 joystick buttons vs nothing                                                           2 to the PS

nothing vs numchuck shake and wimmote shake                            2 to the wii

nothing vs other motion stuff                                                           ? to the wii

My websites

http://catprog.org

Online games that I play:

http://www.animecubed.com/billy/?Catprog