By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 20GB Xbox 360 owners!!! What game is good enough for you to install?

The flavor of the month.

@fayewong hackers can pretty much do anything...now...this new update would be minor in the grand scheme of piracy.

Around the Network

i dont have enough space

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

starcraft said:
greenmedic88 said:
I'll go back and finish Mass Effect. Elevator rides. That is all.

In general, any RPG with a lot of loads from section to section should benefit, although even on HDD, the load times are still going to be very far from "unnoticeable."

Texture pop ins should be somewhat reduced for GoW and GoW2 although I'd play the PC version to see how much of an improvement it will realistically be since it already plays off HDD.

The load times on those games in particular aren't noticeable thanks to the use of streaming textures, so there won't be much change if any, other than less pop in while the game is playing.

I've been thinking about those elavator rides.  I'm not sure they would be reduced.  They have dialogue and the elevator runs at a set speed.  Even though the game might be done loading, I wouldn't be surprised if it lets the elevator run it's course.

Just compare the PC version. That should be a pretty accurate depiction of what an install will do to load times. Maybe a few seconds difference at the most, which may or may not be enough of a reduction to cross the fine line between tolerable load time and annoying load time. I'm hoping it's the former.

With Mass Effect, some of the elevator rides had dialogue (might as well since it's just dead time otherwise), but most often, they were just a game mechanic used to mask load sequences with no bearing on plot. And it was definitely a game mechanic that was excessively used since the game was required to be designed around a "no install" build.

starcraft said:
greenmedic88 said:

In general, any RPG with a lot of loads from section to section should benefit, although even on HDD, the load times are still going to be very far from "unnoticeable."

Texture pop ins should be somewhat reduced for GoW and GoW2 although I'd play the PC version to see how much of an improvement it will realistically be since it already plays off HDD.

The load times on those games in particular aren't noticeable thanks to the use of streaming textures, so there won't be much change if any, other than less pop in while the game is playing.

I've been thinking about those elavator rides.  I'm not sure they would be reduced.  They have dialogue and the elevator runs at a set speed.  Even though the game might be done loading, I wouldn't be surprised if it lets the elevator run it's course.

It would shorten it, because the developers don't know the condition of the disk and it might take 2-3 passes to pull the information out properly if its scratched. I would say the elevator rides are variable in length (The ones without dialogue anyway, which is most of them)

Its too bad they didn't make the elevator sound like a thrashing disk drive, that way it'd cover up the noise.

Tease.

I would most likely install Gears of War 2, that's probably what I'll be playing the most later this year.

Around the Network

cod 4 for sure until cod5 then that will go on

does anyone no how big cod4 is ????

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

Buy a 120GB HD. 20GB HDD is too small and it is only like 14GB storage space on the 20GB HD. A HD is never what it says on the box.

KZ2 said:
Buy a 120GB HD. 20GB HDD is too small and it is only like 14GB storage space on the 20GB HD.

For $179.99? You kidding?

I'm not spending that much on so little value. That price is a HUGE rip-off.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

starcraft said:
greenmedic88 said:

Well there are still other loading scenes and obviously texture issues, so that would be the game I would install, but at the moment I dont have enough room on my HDD anyway

outlawauron said:
KZ2 said:
Buy a 120GB HD. 20GB HDD is too small and it is only like 14GB storage space on the 20GB HD.

For $179.99? You kidding?

I'm not spending that much on so little value. That price is a HUGE rip-off.

For people who don't care about the price.... well obviously they just don't care.  For value conscious folks like you and me, it's a very easy process to buy a 120GB Western Digital Scorpio BEVS-LAT, use the hddhackr utility and presto... 120GB drive for 70 or 80 bucks.