By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo franchises do you wanna see in HD?

Even a game like William's Pinball Hall of Fame on the Wii would look a lot better in HD. Pretty much all 3-D games would greatly benefit since you can see more details of the 3-d models from the distance. For example SSBB. Also split screen games would benefit since both players would get close to the same amount of pixels as a SD TV. Even more helpful playing games like Mario Cart with 4 players. There is already a difference between playing 4 pls MC on a SD TV vs HD TV using component.

Around the Network
mariozeldametroid said:
All of them, next generation. And cartony games DO profit from being HD, just look at the prettiness that is Little Big Planet.

That's a perfect example. That game looks fantastic. After playing 360 and PC games for a few hours, if I turn on my Wii the games look like ass. Even the channels screen looks noticeably pixelated. It is similar to the effect you would get if you had a decent gaming PC that could play games in a nice high resolution, and you lowered the resolution by more than 50%. Would it look as good? Hell no. Of course graphics aren't the only thing that makes games good, but if it's a choice between Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart Wii HD, I'll take the latter every time.

Even a game like William's Pinball Hall of Fame on the Wii would look a lot better in HD.

Definitely. If I play the XBLA pinball game (I can't remember what it's called) in HD and then switch to that, it looks awful. The difference is far more noticeable in games than it is with DVDs and Blu-Ray discs IMO.

^
Your making to much of a deal about it. Wii games dont look like ass and youre over exaggerating saying that the channels look pixelated.

Your making to much of a deal about it. Wii games dont look like ass and youre over exaggerating saying that the channels look pixelated.

Do you have a console capable of displaying a HD signal and a HDTV to connect it to so that you can compare? I do, and I'm simply saying what I think about the graphics. I'm not attacking the Wii. I pre-ordered one and got it on launch day and I've had a lot of fun with it since, but graphically it's way behind the PS3, 360 or a high end PC and the difference is easily noticeable.

Once again, look at the difference: -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Common_Video_Resolutions_2.svg/700px-Common_Video_Resolutions_2.svg.png

The Wii is basically the small pink rectangle and full HD is the large purple one. You cannot stretch out the pink box to fill the purple one, without the graphics looking pixelated in comparison.

Resolution has nothing to do with style or art direction. A Wii2 having full HD capabilities does not mean that Mario has to look like a real person. That makes no sense at all.

^
Im not saying you dont like the Wii Im just saying youre being a little too harsh on the graphics.

Ive played a 360 on my sis HDTV The games I played were Gears and Assasins Creed those games were praised for there graphics.
They looked nice but it doesnt make the wii look terrible.

I guess you play wii stretched on an HD right? I played RE4 on the HDTV stretched without component cables and it looked bad. but if you use component cables on Wii it look much much better

btw the rectangles mean nothing to me. I was expecting side by side comparison or something/

Around the Network

I guess you play wii stretched on an HD right? I played RE4 on the HDTV stretched without component cables and it looked bad. but if you use component cables on Wii it look much much better

I use the official component cable for the Wii with it set at 480p. The image isn't stretched.

Ive played a 360 on my sis HDTV The games I played were Gears and Assasins Creed those games were praised for there graphics.
They looked nice but it doesnt make the wii look terrible.

If you can't see the graphical differences between Assassin's Creed and a game like Super Mario Galaxy, then I dunno what to say. Get your eyes tested maybe? Haha. J/K, but seriously, SMG looks alright but in no way does it compare to AC graphically.

More graphics processing power means higher resolution for a sharper image, decent anti-aliasing (a lot of Wii games are jaggie central including SMG), better use of lighting and shadow, and you can have more happening on screen at once which gives you more detailed character models and environments, a greater number of enemies etc. It all adds up to provide a better experience for the gamer and if it didn't matter, you'd still be playing games like Missile Command and Asteroids.

melbye said:
Xen said:
^It does make them look a lot better though.

So, still doesn't make them better. metroid Prime 3 is still better than any other FPS out there even though it doesn't have the best graphics

graphics matter, period.  dont be so stupid as to say they dont.  I can understand the opinion that devs have enough to make the game they want already.  Let me take two examples to prove both of our points:

okami-this would not be even close to the same game without the graphics.  They were absolutely phenomenal (still my favorite looking game) and made the game so much better.  Was it made on an hd console?  no, they used the ps2 to get exactly what they wanted.

shadow of the collosus-if you havent played this, then you missed out.  The graphics are not to die for, but they are exactly what was needed.  Along with the music and enemies (ie almost none) they create an atmoshpere of such power that i have not felt anything even close to it.  The feeling of isolation is so unbelievably strong that i felt like the the only thing that i cared about in the world was me and my horse.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

sc94597 said:
t3mporary_126 said:
Pikmin with more realistic world setting with cartoony/(clay?) characters would look cool.

I wonder what Pokemon with fur and textures would look like..... Hmm....

Actually the wii is highly capable of Fur Shaders.

Unfortunately I don't think pokemon battle revolution used the wii's TeV units. Maybe if there is another pokemon game on the wii.

That game has such beauty that bee is so smooth on the edges.   

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

rikki86 said:
I'm hoping that when Nintendo announces the new zelda at the tokyo games show, they announce a new expansion that allows zelda to be High Def. i dont want to wait 10 years for a zelda game with graphics on par with MGS4. i know this wont happen. but nintendo did release a hardware expansion for the N64.

This is impossible. The Wii in no way supports major hardware upgrades.

I'd like to see a full fledged 3d pokemon wii in HD..........................hell, I'd take an SD 3d pokemon wii!