By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Halo 3 for the PC Confirmed?

theraweness said:
What exactly is the point of buying a xbox. PC has better graphics, all of their exclusive games, better graphics, better controls, free online, more games in addition to all of xboxes good games.

while i am content to wait, i think the obvious reason would be "not needing to wait 2 years"

Around the Network

(Crickets Chirping)

Anyone who really wanted to play this that badly probably played it on 360 already. Anyone who is waiting to play it will probably be disappointed since the game is already dated.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Everyone knew it was coming, just like halo 1 and halo 2 did.

sieanr said:
FJ-Warez said:
ssj12 said:
Squilliam said:
ssj12 said:
IllegalPaladin said:
When are those coming out? I've been content with XP so is Windows 7 going to be that much better to really warrant a new OS?

remember that XP is a heavily modified windows 98 (or is it 96... forget). M$ has this weird thing where they take their main base product and modify it constantly till it doesnt suck so in this case Vista -> Vienna (Windows 7) -> ????.

XP comes from the Windows 2000/NT family of operating systems.

Vista is a new kernel and windows 7 is just an improvement upon Vista.

NT family started as the shell for Windows 95 GUI so way before Windows 2000.

I explained their OS strat in a less technical way.

Not really the kernel from NT (2000,XP) is very different from 95-98-Me... in fact NT comes from another company who got bought by MS...

Shhh... let him think that he knows what he is talking about.

You also shouldn't mention that OSX and Linux development paths are just building off the base product, like what he things Windows is doing.

no sh*t... really.....  I would never have guessed. Geez YDL have only stuck with the CentOS base since it's core was released....

Windows NT family

Codename Preliminary name Final name Notes
NT OS/2 OS/2 3.0 Windows NT 3.1
Daytona Windows NT 3.5
SUR (Shell Update Release), Cairo[3] Windows NT 4.0 Microsoft originally planned for NT 4.0 to be just a simple "Shell Update Release" to integrate the Windows 95 GUI with Windows NT 3.51's kernel.

cough.. I win? I think so. Windows NT 3.1 I think was just a development stage and never used same with 3.5.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I thought Halo3/PC was basically a foregone conclusion.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

sieanr said:
FJ-Warez said:
ssj12 said:

NT family started as the shell for Windows 95 GUI so way before Windows 2000.

I explained their OS strat in a less technical way.

Not really the kernel from NT (2000,XP) is very different from 95-98-Me... in fact NT comes from another company who got bought by MS...

Shhh... let him think that he knows what he is talking about.

You also shouldn't mention that OSX and Linux development paths are just building off the base product, like what he things Windows is doing.

no sh*t... really.....  I would never have guessed. Geez YDL have only stuck with the CentOS base since it's core was released....

Windows NT family

Codename Preliminary name Final name Notes
NT OS/2 OS/2 3.0 Windows NT 3.1
Daytona Windows NT 3.5
SUR (Shell Update Release), Cairo[3] Windows NT 4.0 Microsoft originally planned for NT 4.0 to be just a simple "Shell Update Release" to integrate the Windows 95 GUI with Windows NT 3.51's kernel.

cough.. I win? I think so. Windows NT 3.1 I think was just a development stage and never used same with 3.5.

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Home Server, and Windows Server 2008 are based upon the Windows NT system, although they are not branded as Windows NT.

Partial MS-DOS compatibility was achieved via an integrated DOS Virtual Machine.

When Windows 3.0 was released in May 1990, it was eventually so successful that Microsoft decided to change the primary application programming interface for the still unreleased NT OS/2 (as it was then known) from an extended OS/2 API to an extended Windows API. This decision caused tension between Microsoft and IBM and the collaboration ultimately fell apart. IBM continued OS/2 development alone while Microsoft continued work on the newly renamed Windows NT. Though neither operating system would immediately be as popular as Microsoft's DOS or Windows products, Windows NT would eventually be far more successful than OS/2.

Microsoft hired a group of developers from Digital Equipment Corporation led by Dave Cutler to build Windows NT, and many elements of the design reflect earlier DEC experience with Cutler's VMS and RSX-11.

Sorry, you are wrong... (Cairo was cancelled: Cairo never shipped, although portions of its technologies have since appeared in other products. Projects Cancelled: Cairo · Nashville · Neptune · Odyssey · Related: OS/2)

Monolithic Kernel

MS-DOS / 9x 1.0 · 2.0 · 2.1x · 3.0 · 3.1x · 95 · 98 · Me

Hybrid Kernel

NT NT 3.1 · NT 3.5 · NT 3.51 · NT 4.0 · 2000 · XP (editions· Server 2003 · Fundamentals for Legacy PCs · Vista (editions· Home Server · Server 2008

Windows NT Releases
Version Marketing Name Editions Release Date RTM Build
NT 3.1 Windows NT 3.1 Workstation (named just Windows NT), Advanced Server July 27, 1993 528
NT 3.5 Windows NT 3.5 Workstation, Server September 21, 1994 807
NT 3.51 Windows NT 3.51 Workstation, Server May 30, 1995 1057
NT 4.0 Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Server, Server Enterprise Edition, Terminal Server, Embedded July 29, 1996 1381
NT 5.0 Windows 2000 Professional, Server, Advanced Server, Datacenter Server February 17, 2000 2195
NT 5.1 Windows XP Home, Professional, 64-bit Edition (Itanium), Media Center (original, 2003, 2004 & 2005), Tablet PC (original and 2005), Starter, Embedded, Home N, Professional N October 25, 2001 2600
NT 5.1 Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs N/A July 8, 2006 2600
NT 5.2 Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003 (Itanium)[2] March 28, 2003 3790
NT 5.2 Windows Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Web, Storage, Small Business Server, Compute Cluster April 24, 2003 3790
NT 5.2 Windows XP Professional x64 Edition April 25, 2005 3790
NT 5.2 Windows Home Server N/A July 16, 2007 3790
NT 6.0 Windows Vista Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate, Home Basic N, Business N Business: November 30, 2006
Consumer: January 30, 2007
6001(SP1)
NT 6.0 Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Web, Storage, Small Business Server February 27, 2008 6001
NT 6.1 Windows 7 (codenamed Blackcomb, later Vienna) TBA H2 2009 Unknown

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

So, we've derailed this thread into a technological pissing contest that no one understands.

Fun.

Let's get back to Halo 3 for PC topic, not all the OS battling. If that's the case, take this to the PC forum, hell, it needs the attention.

tabsina said:
theraweness said:
What exactly is the point of buying a xbox. PC has better graphics, all of their exclusive games, better graphics, better controls, free online, more games in addition to all of xboxes good games.

while i am content to wait, i think the obvious reason would be "not needing to wait 2 years"

And how long are 360 owners going to wait for Diablo 3? Starcraft 2? Dragon Age: Origins? The Sims 3? SPORE? Warhammer Online? etc.... Exactly.

While PC is waiting for Halo 3 and Gears of War 2, we are getting:
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
-Battlefield Heroes
-Quake Live
-Crysis
-Crysis Warhead
-Zeno Clash

While PC is waiting for Fable 2, we are playing:
-Dragon Age: Origins
-The Witcher
-Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
-Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
-Lord of the Rings Online
-Warhammer Online

See where I'm going? The people who use the "not need to wait 2 years", it's a bad excuse.

It will get very little hype and advertising, will most likely require Vista, and will be out on the 360 for 2 years, and will probably not get any noticeable upgrades.

Halo 3 will most likely get lost in the pile of newer and better shooters that are coming out for the PC.

WiiStation360 said:
It will get very little hype and advertising, will most likely require Vista, and will be out on the 360 for 2 years, and will probably not get any noticeable upgrades.

Halo 3 will most likely get lost in the pile of newer and better shooters that are coming out for the PC.

Didn't the PC releases of H1 and H2 both included new multiplayer maps?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"