By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Does the Wired Xboc 360 controller work with Windows Vista?

I'm looking for a good PC controller and searching through ebay all I found was fake PS2 ripoffs from China. I went to EB games today and they said that the Xbox 360 controller they have works for Windows Vista as well but cost 70$. So I came home and did some research and apparently all Xbox controllers work with Windows XP. My question is, do ALL Xbox controllers and in particular the wired ones (because I do not want to buy a wireless converter) work for Windows Vista as well? I've found some really cheap ones online so if they work then I'm all for them since I quite like the 360 controller design.

Around the Network

Eh, the title is supposed to say "Xbox" not Xboc :\

Just buy the real one..

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=091

$40

Wireless:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=090

$60

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Thanks for the link. But I noticed online that they have two types of controllers, one in a green box and one in a red box that specifically says for Windows. The red box comes with a CD for PC installation but I've read that the green one also works for Windows...So then why have two different products? Also, were the controllers cross compatable since launch or are they updated versions?

They are the exact same thing. The reason for the difference in packaging is pretty obvious if you think about it.

Why include an install disc with PC drivers for every 360 controller out the door? 95% of people will be using it on their Xbox not on their PC.

The "PC box" comes with the install disc because a lot of people are computer illiterate and don't realize you can download drivers (which are usually more up to date) instead of using the disc.

Go with either one you can find cheaper.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network

Well I believe that the green one is only for the XBox360 but the red one is for the PC and the Xbox360... it includes a driver CD

but it seems that they got the green one working... http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/guide.html

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

You can plug in a normal Xbox 360 contoller. Vista already has the driver and installs it immediately when you pop it in.
If you had XP and no driver CD, you could just download it.

Pretty much what everyone said--the red box just has a driver CD. If you don't have the CD, just download the driver from Microsoft.com.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Yes the controller does work on Vista, i have one myself :)

It does not matter which "version" you buy. The wired or wireless 360 controllers both work on Vista. If you want wireless you have to buy the little USB hub.