By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Rock Band 2 Will Beat Guitar Hero: World Tour

http://www.gamersplatform.com/2008/07/28/why-rock-band-will-beat-guitar-hero-world-tour/

Lately, there has been a lot of fighting over what music game will be better. Whether it will be Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero: World Tour. Sure, Guitar Hero: World Tour has a few new cool things: Create your own songs, make your own guitars and drums sets. These are some nice new additions, but what it really comes down to is what game is going to be able to keep the players hooked the longest. It’s simple really, Rock Band 2 is going to be the victor.

To start off this argument, lets look at the facts. Guitar Hero 1, developed by Harmonix. Sure, it had its problems. Hammer-ons weren’t the best, and it didn’t have pro-face off or co-op. Aside from those things, the game was great, it had great songs, and it was fun, everyone loved it. Then Guitar Hero 2 came. It was still developed by Harmonix, and it pretty much fixed everything. The Hammer-ons were better than ever, the songs were great (they had Freebird), they had both pro-face off and Co-op, the future was bright from Guitar Hero.

Then Guitar Hero 3 came. No longer developed by Harmonix, now it was developed by Neversoft. Everyone had high hopes for the game, but if you’ve every played the first two Guitar Hero’s, then you know how much worse this one is. Its song were…eh, could be better. They ended up making the hammer-ons a little too easy (in my opinion) and honestly, the game was nearly impossible to beat on expert, unless you were some Guitar Hero freak. It seems like Neversoft was more worried about making the game difficult to beat, more than making it fun for the gamers, that they just chose popular songs that people liked, even if the Guitar sucked.

Although I think Guitar Hero 3 was a disappointment, there was still hope. For Rock Band was being made, by none other than Harmonix! I was jumping with joy when this news was revealed. When Rock Band was released, the game didn’t disappoint. It was the merchandise that disappointed. If you own Rock Band, then you know what I’m talking about. Although the merchandise could have been better, the game was amazing. It has awesome songs on it, making them fun on all the instruments (not just the guitar). You could now make your own character, and you actually had a World Tour Co-op mode, where you would travel the world, gaining fans as you went and playing in various places.

Now Guitar Hero expects to step in Rock Bands way, with Guitar Hero: World Tour. I don’t think they stand a chance. The first and second Guitar Hero games were outstanding, and it’s obvious that Harmonix has showed us that they can do amazing things. I think that GH:WT is going to be Guitar Hero 3 with drums and singing added into the mix. Neversoft is going to make the game way harder than it needs to be. They are going to choose popular songs, even if they have horrible guitar, drums, and singing altogether. We’ve already seen Rock Band 2’s set-list, and its looking better than ever. Now where’s Guitar Hero: World Tours set-list? I’d like to see Neversoft just try and top Harmonix.

I think that the music creator will make GHIV better

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

are you serious? have you see the track list? there is no way!!!

not a fan but a gamer

also. I used to own rock band and let me tell you it did disapoint. sorry but true.

not a fan but a gamer

I dont like either games :( [well their predecesors]

^_^

The article is definitely right GH won't have all those cool features that RB has...

Song Creator/editor
Real Rock Star Avatars
an established brand
DLC on Wii

Oh, wait... I have those franchises reversed.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

You've been comparing gh 1 2 3 and rock band and saying who developed what and what not, but you still didn't bring arguments that Rock band 2 will be better than gh 4

"...but what it really comes down to is what game is going to be able to keep the players hooked the longest."

He got this part right, and its about the only part. The song editor is of course only one of the new features and by itself isn't that great.  Its the community features that allow you to vote on songs and share them with others, and quickly browse by genre, popularity, rising stars, etc...that make it shine. Without a million other people to share with or leach from the music editor wouldn't be that great, but with the community and a cream rises to the top system GH IV owners will have awesome free DLC for the life of the community.

Not to mention that within thirty days of GH IV launching, any song on the RB setlist will be on the GH setlist. The same will happen with any paid DLC on RB.  The only thing that won't be there on community songs is vocals, but you can still add a vocal part to the song and your singer in your band can sing the vocal part. Simply put, GH IV topped RB2's setlist with the music editor & community, its the ultimate trump card for setlists.

RB2 will be a solid Music/Rythym title and will not suck just because of what GHIV is doing. But GHIV, barring some catastrophic meltdown before launch, will be the better game because its whatever you want it to be. You make your rocker, your instrument, your logo, your band, your songs, your setlists, your album covers, your tattoos, your clothes, and your lighting effects the way you want them.  If you like the music and rythym genre and you don't like GH IV...then you're doing it wrong.

To Each Man, Responsibility
reptile168 said:
You've been comparing gh 1 2 3 and rock band and saying who developed what and what not, but you still didn't bring arguments that Rock band 2 will be better than gh 4

I agree with your point, but I wanted to point out that the OP was posting an article, its not his opinion necessarily.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I didnt bother reading? Does that guy even have any kind of credibility?
or is he just some other person giving his opinion but because he might work/run a site he thinks it important?

I honesly wouldnt care about this RB vs GH except after what Harmonix did to the Wii version of RB they can go piss off. People bitch about Activision milking GH. Well what do you call what Harmonix did on the Wii? Theyre also making $300 drum sets for their games and fog machines. Harmonix is just as guilty.

Harmonix has lost my respect and I'll buy any GH before I buy RB. Its that simple.
GH:IV will be the first and only one I need anyways since Im not one of the idiots buying all the versions of the same game.

Sqrl said:
reptile168 said:

I agree with your point, but I wanted to point out that the OP was posting an article, its not his opinion necessarily.

I think you're way too good to call that an article. It seems like something an harmonic fanboy would write. He wasn't really using facts to support his claim but his own experience. Besides, I had never heard of this site before.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...