By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Rock Band 2 Will Beat Guitar Hero: World Tour

The article writer pretty much ignored all the big features of GH:WT. It doesn't even seem like he has even played either game or even watched any videos. His whole argument is that Harmonix is better and RB1 was better than GHIII.

Here's a novel concept. Judge each game on it's features that you've actually played or witnessed. Not on what you think the games will be like in your imagination.

Around the Network

I'll repeat what I said 2 weeks ago. This is not an article, it's a poorly written opinion piece.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

The whole GHI/II is better than III is really sad, pathetic, and old.

Yes harmonix was very creative to come up with the idea of bringing Konami's game to the U.S. it doesn't make GHI/II any more original or creative than GHIII.

Also, people who complain about III, sound like those people who say "I knew that band before they were famous" or "they were so much better before they sold out"

GHIII only seemed so easy to you because you played GHI/II for hundreds of hours (or never played any of them).  Many of those tracks are way harder on expert than any track on GHII

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

well lets get things straight.

this is my opinion.

And in my opinion, I don't think these games should even be compared.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero are SIMILAR. But "similar" is an important word.

These are still two completely different games, however, with different gaming styles.

GAMEPLAY COMPARISON:

Rock Band was known for its ability to have character creation, world tour mode, etc. It also has a more cartoonish, simple style then GH. Rock Band was purposely made more towards the newcomers to the series. You must understand that. Rock band's gameplay is different in comparison as well.

Guitar Hero is already popular and a common game. Since it is mainly focused on guitar alone, of course it will be more challenging. It also has the classic linear, stage-by stage style. Its animation and game[play seems more solid; more realistic i supose. I dont think this makes it any better or worse than the rock band series.

NOW, ONTO THE NEW GAMES!

Guitar Hero World Tour.
In a way, you can say that the Guitar Hero franchise has decided to copy off of rock band's style, which is common in ALL videogaming history, but still defining itself as a different game than rock band.
Guitar Hero still will retain its solid, hard-core gaming style, most likely. However, thats how the guitar hero franchise is. Its not better or worse then Harmonix's game, just different, depending on the needs of a hardcore videogamer.
However, world tour will be defined with dazzling new things to do.
New Guitar Design
3 pad, 2 cymbal drums that are pressure sensitive
creatable songs viewable as dlc, to be rated upon, traded with, etc.
Promising to do on the Wii everything the other consoles will do
fast-paced, hardcore guitar hero gaming style.
realistic, stiffer character animations(character editability as well)

Rock Band 2.
Basically, this game will be very similar to the classic style thatis Rock Band, with a new track list and other goodies. This game suits more of the soft-core guitar heroes who like presicion in their guitar playing skills. Its a different style. Deal with it.
Sexy new stratocaster with a better less mushy strumbar and an auto-calibration light for note syncing.
Drums will be a bit stronger
a seperately sold, beautiful Ion Drum Kit (will cost 300 smackers)
Full compatibility for rock band 1's peripherals
Traditional, soft-core gamer style with rock band's classic drum charts that everyone enjoys
More cartoonish, less realistic, fun style

------

So, these are 2 different games and 2 different styles based on how you like to rock on!

Honestly, i love both games. I love guitar hero's hardcore gamer style, and i love rockband's precise timing and presicion. U just get watever fits u best my friends!

Oh, by the wayy, GH:WT FTW!

I have a Wii.

Therefore... I have to buy GH:WT instead of RB2.

The majority of gamers have Wiis, and thus have no choice in the matter.

GH:WT by a landslide.

(Also, for the song editor, best feature of either game.)

Around the Network

RB2, I already have around 30 DL songs for RB and they will all have 4 parts. I will definitely rent GHWT though. The online RB2 Band vs Band stuff looks incredible.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/899/899820p1.html

If you don't have an online connection for PS3 or Xbox 360, you're going to miss out on a lot of the goodness in Rock Band 2. As anyone still playing Rock Band 1 can attest, downloadable content adds quite a bit to the experience. So will the new Battle of the Bands mode.

Forget what you think about Rock Band and online competition. Battle of the Bands is not a direct band-v-band mode. Instead, BotB offers a series of challenges where bands post scores in an attempt to better one another. Harmonix is promising that new challenges will be added daily, with old ones often cycling out quickly. The plan is for there to always be 5-10 challenges at any time. And if you're worried Harmonix won't deliver on its promise, remember that this is the developer that's managed to deliver new downloadable songs each week for nearly a year. Over the past three weeks, Harmonix has been testing its ability to post a new challenge daily, and so far it's been a success.

Battle of the Bands is accessed in the Tour menu. The set-up is easy to navigate. You get a scrollable roll of challenges with intriguing names like "The Stalker Challenge," "'Sleepwalker' Star Battle," and "Bass Streak-Off."

Select any of these and you can view the full details. You'll see a general description, where you currently rank, how much you need to increase your score to pass the next person in the rankings, and any special rules for the challenge. You can also check the setlist and the rankings for both friends and the rest of the world.

Some battles offer a single song and may even allow just one instrument. A good example of this is the "Steely Dan Expert Score Battle." Steely Dan's "Bodhisattva" is one hell of a tough song for guitar on expert. So much so that Harmonix turned off the crowd meter so you can't fail the song. Whoever scores the most points, playing guitar on expert, gets the glory.

So let's say you want to give Steely Dan a go. Once you hop in, you'll see the score of the next person ranked above you. That will be your focus in the battle and you'll see a tug-of-war meter showing where you stand throughout the song. Our band, the Electric Federation, passed Pwnivore and a few others on the way to fifth place. When Pwnivore next hops on to Rock Band 2, he'll be notified that his score has been beaten, what he needs to reclaim his place, and how long the challenge remains active.

There's no limit on the number of times you can play a challenge. And challenge lengths will vary. Some will last a few minutes (yes, just a few minutes) and be open to those lucky enough to spot it before its gone. Most will last a few days to a week. If Harmonix finds a compelling enough challenge, one could stay up for a month or longer. It's a simple, but brilliant system that services those who get tired of World Tour. There will always be something new to do in Rock Band 2.

Challenges won't be limited to the 84 tracks on RB2. Harmonix plans to mix in Rock Band 1 challenges (remember, you can import songs from RB1 to RB2) as well as DLC. So when a new DLC album is released, it's safe to expect a challenge to come with it. And to keep things fun, there will be some "narrative" challenges as well.

You may see "The Evolution of Metal" challenge, which picks a song from each of the past five decades and tasks you to earn the best star average among all five. Currently, there is "The Stalker Challenge," which assures gamers that, "No, it's not creepy if you make a mixtape of these songs and play them outside their window." Blondie's "One Way or Another," Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf," and Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" make up the setlist. This challenge expires in 4 days, 4 hours as of this posting. So, get yourself a debug and a preview build of Rock Band 2 if you want to post a score.

Harmonix promises to keep the challenges varied. Some will be for full bands, some for solo instruments. There will be family-friendly challenges that will keep players from failing out and those geared to test the experts.

Battle of the Band challenges may come and go, but you will always keep a record of your attempts. In Tour mode, you can access your band's Battle History and see every challenge ever entered and your final ranking. You can view any other band's Battle History as well, so you can check up on friends or stalk a stranger.

One thing missing is the ability for users to create their own challenges. This isn't likely something to happen anytime soon, though Harmonix will be taking plenty of fan suggestions at the official Rock Band forums.

Battle of the Bands is just one piece of what RB2 has to offer. But it's a big piece. We can't wait to have you demolish all of our puny scores.

GH3 wasn't hard on expert.  The songs were easy, Lou was a bitch.  Cheap as hell.  Still beat his ass though.

in terms of sales i think guitar hero will own

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

brute said

I think that the music creator will make GHIV better

I agree.

JaggedSac said:

GH3 wasn't hard on expert.  The songs were easy, Lou was a bitch.  Cheap as hell.  Still beat his ass though.

That is because you play too many videogames.  LOL.  Oh, so do I... but I still suck.

Either way, Slayer, Dragon Force, and a bunch of other ones are way harder than any thing in 1 and 2, IMO.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
JaggedSac said:

That is because you play too many videogames.  LOL.  Oh, so do I... but I still suck.

Either way, Slayer, Dragon Force, and a bunch of other ones are way harder than any thing in 1 and 2, IMO.

Yeah, I couldn't do that Dragon Force song on expert.  I could on hard though.  That Slayer song aint bad though.  The funnest song to play in the GH games is The Beast and the Harlet.