By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The gradual death of the epic sci-fi genre since the PS1

Sins of the solar empire

Have you heard of it?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:
Sins of the solar empire

Have you heard of it?

I think I have a demo of it floating about. I was really looking for something where you actually control a ship though. They were so abundant on the ps1 =/

It looks like a really good strategy game though.

Mass Effect is a great epic sci-fi game, though you do not get to control behicles other than the mako

VGhippy said:

I've been considering playing EVE for a while, and this may be the post to push me to do it =) Do you actually control your ship properly like colony wars, X3, or is it more of a point and click thing and you just hit keys to activate attacks like World of Warcraft?

People are suggesting strategy games, which isn't quite what you want.  There was a game from a few years back called Freelancer, which had a pretty good demo, but it's PC. 

I really like this game:

http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/index.html

It's a freeware standalone conversion of Freespace/lancher can't remember...

It's called Beyond the Red Line and it's based on Battle star Galactica.. there is a demo..

Don't know when the full version will be released..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

Okay thanks guys. I'll check out some online PC game reviewing sites and see what games I can get for My PC that it can handle =)

Forgot to add a vid:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Omg NiKKom! I can't believe I did not know about this. Thanks, it looks epic.

NiKKoM said:

I really like this game:

http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/index.html

It's a freeware standalone conversion of Freespace/lancher can't remember...

It's called Beyond the Red Line and it's based on Battle star Galactica.. there is a demo..

Don't know when the full version will be released..

Why didnt i know about this? Im the biggest BSG fan ever

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

VGhippy said:

So I was playing the original colony wars on my PS1 today and it got me thinking. Where are all of the epic scifi games where you are in control of a spaceship or other futuristic vehicle in an epic space or city scifi setting. There were loads for the ps1, a few for the ps2 but hardly any for any current gen consoles bar a tiny psp wipeout remake on the psn and I often wonder why this is.

Come back Colony Wars, come back G-Police, come back Wipeout, I love you all =O

Project Silpheed on 360.