By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The gradual death of the epic sci-fi genre since the PS1

So I was playing the original colony wars on my PS1 today and it got me thinking. Where are all of the epic scifi games where you are in control of a spaceship or other futuristic vehicle in an epic space or city scifi setting. There were loads for the ps1, a few for the ps2 but hardly any for any current gen consoles bar a tiny psp wipeout remake on the psn and I often wonder why this is.

Come back Colony Wars, come back G-Police, come back Wipeout, I love you all =O

Around the Network

They're all on PC.

Like F-Zero?

I want a quality star trek game.

Star Trek Encounters on the ps2 can suck my balls

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Dude.. we all went to play EVE online...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
shio said:
They're all on PC.

Simulation type ones are thankfully. I just find it stange that they dropped off the face of the earth on consoles though.

They are all on PC

Homeworld

Homeworld 2

EVE Online

Those are just a few^^  EVE Online is particularly epic, hundreds or thousands of solar systems or something and it's a MMO where every single player is all in the same server.  So you have thousands of players all in the same game and can participate in huge 500+ people PVP battles at some points.

PC Gamer
sc94597 said:
Like F-Zero?

I knew I was forgetting something. I love that series! I soo wish they would make a wii version =(

There are alot of gametypes that haven't been represented lately. Staring at someone's back or through their eyes rules these days.

Ickalanda said:

They are all on PC

Homeworld

Homeworld 2

EVE Online

Those are just a few^^ EVE Online is particularly epic, hundreds or thousands of solar systems or something and it's a MMO where every single player is all in the same server. So you have thousands of players all in the same game and can participate in huge 500+ people PVP battles at some points.

I've been considering playing EVE for a while, and this may be the post to push me to do it =) Do you actually control your ship properly like colony wars, X3, or is it more of a point and click thing and you just hit keys to activate attacks like World of Warcraft?