By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Fable 2: To Be Short - about 12 hours long for main game!

Fable 2 To Be Short

E308: Unless 12 hours is long enough for you!

We won't deny we are sort of disappointed upon giving our ears to this bit of news. We have heard that Fable 2's main story is about 12 hours long. That is if you don't do the developers to reality conversion of the advertised gameplay hours, heh.

It seems that Fable is more inclined towards it's side quest and exploration aspect. There is a lot more you can do in Fable 2 like start families, explore the whole world, buy out every building that stands, side mini games and of course the plethora of side quests. Even still, 12 hours for the story is, for us, is on the short side but if the gameplay is good and it turns out as all of us are anticipating, then we won't be complaining.

Fable 2 is scheduled to release on October 17, 2008 exclusively for the Xbox 360.

------------------------------------------------------------------

if this is true, do you believe fable 2 will rake in huge reviews?

and if it does have the main story at 12 hours, do you think other games like fallout will eclipse it sales wise.

fable 2 is looking good, and its one of the 360 titles i may purchase this year

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

Aren't WRPG's always kinda like that if you blow through the main storyline without doing all the side stuff? WRPG's are about choice, and if you decide that you don't want to do anything other than play the main storyline then you kind of wasted the WRPG and you should've played a JRPG

This has been known for awhile now.

Consoles Owned: Sega Genesis, NES, PS2 (RIP) N64, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii

"In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is rule."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

This is similar to Oblivion. If you just go through the main quest in Oblivion, you will only perform about 10% of the quests in the game.

It's important to realize that these are *not* linear RPGs... they're open-world variations. As such, most of the gaming occurs outside the "main" quest. That's why completing the main quest in Oblivion doesn't actually end the game... you get a special set of armor for completing the questline, then you can just keep playing and do the 90% of what's left.

This probably drives to distraction people who prefer a fixed storyline, but for those who like openworld conquest (World of Warcraft comes to mind), this is a very good way to structure the game.

In summary, this is likely a non-issue with Fable 2.

crumas2 said:
This is similar to Oblivion. If you just go through the main quest in Oblivion, you will only perform about 10% of the quests in the game.

It's important to realize that these are *not* linear RPGs... they're open-world variations. As such, most of the gaming occurs outside the "main" quest. That's why completing the main quest in Oblivion doesn't actually end the game... you get a special set of armor for completing the questline, then you can just keep playing and do the 90% of what's left.

This probably drives to distraction people who prefer a fixed storyline, but for those who like openworld conquest (World of Warcraft comes to mind), this is a very good way to structure the game.

I agree. I don't remember how long it took me to complete Oblivion's main quest. Maybe 30 hours? No idea, because I did about a hundred hours worth of sidequests between starting and finishing the main quest. Then, I did about another hundred or so hours of more sidequests and generally messing around. Point is, I agree that that's not how WRPG's are structured. Not for me, anyway. It might take me 50 hours to complete the main story of Fable 2 because of all the other stuff I cram in the middle. Maybe more. I don't care that the main story is 12 hours. LOTR was about 9.

Around the Network

So Oblivion only had a 20 hour give or take main story and I still got over 100 hours....

Former something....

You can complete Oblivion in ten hours....But it really has a huge amount of side quests. Marriage, buying every hous, play some card games....Uhmz don't really make me looking forward to the game....

Starmistkarmic said:
crumas2 said:

I agree. I don't remember how long it took me to complete Oblivion's main quest. Maybe 30 hours? No idea, because I did about a hundred hours worth of sidequests between starting and finishing the main quest. Then, I did about another hundred or so hours of more sidequests and generally messing around. Point is, I agree that that's not how WRPG's are structured. Not for me, anyway. It might take me 50 hours to complete the main story of Fable 2 because of all the other stuff I cram in the middle. Maybe more. I don't care that the main story is 12 hours. LOTR was about 9.

Lord of the Rings, right?  If yes, which one? 

Fable 2's story probably won't even be that great if the main quest only lasts 12 hours but I don't care as long as there are plenty of sidequests.  Even so, it is still possible to have a 40 hour story and still have many sidequests i.e.Final Fantasy XII

Skeeuk said:

Fable 2 To Be Short

E308: Unless 12 hours is long enough for you!

We won't deny we are sort of disappointed upon giving our ears to this bit of news. We have heard that Fable 2's main story is about 12 hours long. That is if you don't do the developers to reality conversion of the advertised gameplay hours, heh.

It seems that Fable is more inclined towards it's side quest and exploration aspect. There is a lot more you can do in Fable 2 like start families, explore the whole world, buy out every building that stands, side mini games and of course the plethora of side quests. Even still, 12 hours for the story is, for us, is on the short side but if the gameplay is good and it turns out as all of us are anticipating, then we won't be complaining.

Fable 2 is scheduled to release on October 17, 2008 exclusively for the Xbox 360.

------------------------------------------------------------------

if this is true, do you believe fable 2 will rake in huge reviews?

and if it does have the main story at 12 hours, do you think other games like fallout will eclipse it sales wise.

fable 2 is looking good, and its one of the 360 titles i may purchase this year

help,

how does one start a families?

Blacksaber said:
So Oblivion only had a 20 hour give or take main story and I still got over 100 hours....

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I now have over 600 hours logged in Oblivion.  This is likely an unusual situation, but I like the "simulation" aspect of Oblivion almost as much as the action/adventure.  I've played through as mage, assassin, fighter,  ranger/archer, etc.  I even custom created a "Mr. Monk" monk-like character and called him Adrian.  I buy the houses in each city, furnish them, stock the display cases with special booty from my quests, such as embellished swords, armor, etc.

I'll probably be done with the thing as soon as Fable 2 comes out... by then I should have explored all 300+ dungeons, etc. and done every conceivable quest, including all the add-in's for the 360 such as Mehrune's razor, Fighter's Stronghold, Frostcrag spire, etc.

The point is that these games are becoming hybrids... open-world RPG/Simulation.  All they need to do is add resource gathering from RTS games and I'll probably have to quit my job and play games full time.