By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Fable 2: To Be Short - about 12 hours long for main game!

Riachu said:

I don't mind if an RPG(or any game for that matter) is an interactive movie, just as long as the story is decent enough, if not fantasic. Not all real time battle systems in RPGs are mindless button mashers.

Then you don't really like RPGs, you like interactive movies.   RPGs are defined by battle systems and character/enviroment interaction.  And since a video rpg can't truly encompass all the roleplaying (interaction) possibilities of pen and paper, that leaves the battle system as the defining element. 

And I'm not singling out real time battle systems, but recent RPGs in general

Around the Network

well... 12 hours for the main storyline is long....... I think the original fables main quests were about 8 hours long. Add countless engaging sidequests in between quest missions, and that actually maybe 25 hours of gameplay. I played Fable for 18 hours my first playthrough. So: 10 hours sidequests, 8 hours main storyline for fable 1, would equal 15 hours sidequests and 12 hours Fable 2..... 27 hours.... damn.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

ArtznCraphs said:
Riachu said:

I don't mind if an RPG(or any game for that matter) is an interactive movie, just as long as the story is decent enough, if not fantasic. Not all real time battle systems in RPGs are mindless button mashers.

Then you don't really like RPGs, you like interactive movies. RPGs are defined by battle systems and character/enviroment interaction. And since a video rpg can't truly encompass all the roleplaying (interaction) possibilities of pen and paper, that leaves the battle system as the defining element.

And I'm not singling out real time battle systems, but recent RPGs in general

I am looking foward to Fable 2 as well as Fallout 3 so if you think I don't really like RPGs, you're dead wrong.  An RPG can have with a real-time, turnbased battle system or even a hybrid of both.  Stats are the defining element of a video game RPG, not the battle system.

Strategyking92 said:
well... 12 hours for the main storyline is long....... I think the original fables main quests were about 8 hours long. Add countless engaging sidequests in between quest missions, and that actually maybe 25 hours of gameplay. I played Fable for 18 hours my first playthrough. So: 10 hours sidequests, 8 hours main storyline for fable 1, would equal 15 hours sidequests and 12 hours Fable 2..... 27 hours.... damn.

you can't challenge this logic!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
Strategyking92 said:

you can't challenge this logic!

LOL.

Around the Network
Riachu said:

I am looking foward to Fable 2 as well as Fallout 3 so if you think I don't really like RPGs, you're dead wrong.  An RPG can have with a real-time, turnbased battle system or even a hybrid of both.  Stats are the defining element of a video game RPG, not the battle system.

And what do the stats mainly tie into practically 100% of the time?  Battle mechanics.  Thus you have a battle system, a stats and random number generator driven battle system, which differentiates rpgs from the other genres. 

And since video rpgs are rooted in the mechanics of pen and paper rpgs, which themselves are evolved from tabletop war games, battles are an entirely important feature in an rpgs.  Without those stat driven battles you have an adventure game.

But basically we agree that an RPG is an RPG as long as it's game mechanics are weighted by stats and random numerical calculations.

But don't try to tell me that the genre isn't getting dumber by the day.  I've been in the video RPG hobby since the early 1980's, console and PC.  I know what I'm witnessing currently.  

VideoGamer.com: Fable has a large following, especially online, with people frequently talking about it and Fable 2 on gaming forums. They're a vocal minority, but do they matter to you?

PM: Yes, they do. I do read the boards. I do occasionally post under a pseudonym. I've got to thank those guys for some features in Fable, because we wouldn't have pursued those features without opening those boards. Sometimes I feel like I have to go into therapy after looking at the boards, to be honest with you. You open them and you look at it, and you know, sometimes they said crystal clear things where you think "Jesus, how could I have been so dumb to do that?". There was a crystal clear thing with the sneaking - holding down the trigger to sneak and how horrible that was and how much people hated it. I thought, "How dumb was that? How could I have been so stupid?". And then there are very confusing things, which make me as a designer go insane. One of those was, there was a whole thread on one of the boards, all about the length of the game. The thread started with someone flaming Fable. "I finished this game in 10 hours. It's too short. RPGs are supposed to be 60 hours and de de de de de." This thread went on and lots of people agreed. Then the thread slowly changed and other people said that they really loved it and that 12 hours was just about right, and that Fable is one of the only games they ever finished. That kind of left me as a designer thinking what the hell do I do? Half these people want it the same length as it was, but the other half want it infinitely long.

That spawned this idea. I sat down and tackled it as a design problem. The solution turns out to be really simple. The solution was not to give you any money for doing quests. You may think, "well, how does that change anything?". Well, money you can spend on lots of stuff. You can spend it on houses and clothes and making yourself look unique and weapons, and all of the usual stuff. You also can spend it on owning parts of the world, which is really important. Fable 2 ends up about 12 hours long. That's how long it takes a tester at Lionhead to go from one end of the game to the other. That's a reasonable time, but if you play the game in 12 hours you haven't done anything off the golden line that you saw. That means you'll end this game a poor, lonely, unpopular hero, famous hero. Whereas if you spend a bit more time, a few more hours, you'll be a bit richer, your clothes will be a bit finer, you'll finish the game looking better. You can spend a lot of time working on owning parts of the world, and that's when it suddenly dawns on people that when you finish the story, the game doesn't end, it just carries on going. You've finished the story and you've lost a lot of opportunities of making money in that story, so... the answer to this almost unsolvable problem was that I'll let you decide. You decide how long the game is because you decide what you want to be in the world. If you want to be poor, if you want to be unpopular, if you don't ever want to get married, then sure enough this game will last 12 hours. But if you want the full experience, it's going to be much much longer than that.

----------------------------------------------------

Thats from an interview with Peter.

08' Year End Predictions

Wii: 46 Million
Xbox 360:
26 Million

PS3: 22 Million

Sale Predictions:

Gears Of War 2 - 7 Million
Fable 2 - 3 Million
Left 4 Dead - 1.5 Million
Infinite Undiscovery - 700k
Tales Of Vesperia - 550k
The Last Remnant - 700k
Ninja Gaiden - 800k LTD [?] On its way.
Banjo-Kazooie N&B - 2 Million
Lost Odyssey - 500k LTD [X] surpassed
Too Human - 1.4 Million

^^That is the interview I was referring to in my previous post.

* snip *

Thats from an interview with Peter.

Wow... well, that's straight from the horse's mouth.  You can play through just to "get er done" in about 12 hours, but actually spending time enjoying the game world he's created will result in a lot longer game.  This is along the same line as Oblivion, but with more focus on a single storyline instead of several storylines (fighter's guild, mage's guild, etc.) and a main storyline.  This might actually be a better approach because it ties everything back into the main storyline.

I can't wait... *drool*

Allow me to provide the voice of pessimism:

Fable 1 was notorious with it's side quests, in the fact there weren't any of "beefy" proportions.

Doing EVERYTHING in F1 took me 20 hours or so. I beat that $50 game in 3-4 days. Many of the same sidequests exist - get married, have sex (this time its for kids), buy houses, and the like.

Fable 2, to warrant anything more than a rent from me, needs to be a bit beefier than that. Having a 12hr+ main quest is fine IF YOU ACTUALLY HAVE SIDE MISSIONS. Fable's side missions were 1-off adventures that took 30 minutes a pop, and weren't nearly as involved and good as Oblivion or Mass Effect's (say what you will of either, but either game had better missions).

But, having said that, Fable was great in terms of gameplay, and with 2 player co-op, I might be enticed to buy my fiancee a X360 quicker, so we can play co-op.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.