By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sega, Capcom, Bandai, Namco all to shift focus to Wii/DS

One day, Microsoft, and Sony will be making games for Nintendo.

Around the Network

Here is a link to put some figures into this report...and to give it to you in English.
It does seem to be a major shift.

"Namco Bandai will up its Nintendo titles by 109% to 115; Sega by 96% to 49; and Capcom by 5% to 20. Meanwhile, the three majors intend to cut shipments of titles for Sony machines by 30%-40%."

http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/1595/53/

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

a.l.e.x59 said:
One day, Microsoft, and Sony will be making games for Nintendo.

ya ok then...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Lets not talk in absolutes just yet:

The biggest third parties in Japan are throwing their support behind Nintendo in a big way. Nacmo/Bandai, Sega and Capcom are all increasing both the number of distinct titles and the number of units ordered for games on Nintendo systems, according to research done by the Nikkei newspaper and reported by Variety Asia. Namco Bandai alone is planning a ridiculous 115 games for the DS and Wii in fiscal 2007, a 109 percent increase. Sony, meanwhile, can expect a 30 to 40 percent decline in shipment orders from the big three, according to the report.

Yeah I had just come to post that. Here is more information on this topic. Alot more detail here including some mighty damaging words from Square for PS3.

Quote:
Report: Japanese publishers switching over to Wii

Namco Bandai, Capcom, and Sega are redirecting resources from Sony and Microsoft projects to Nintendo projects, reports Variety Asia.

By Tom Magrino, GameSpot
Posted Jun 27, 2007 1:37 pm PT

According to a report from Variety Asia, Japan's top three third-party publishers are ramping up development for Nintendo's Wii and DS systems, at the expense of rivals Sony and Microsoft. Namco Bandai will reportedly increase Nintendo hardware development by 109 percent to 115 titles, Sega will up its titles by 96 percent to 49, and Capcom titles will rise by 5 percent to 20.

Not only will Nintendo platforms be getting a greater assortment of games, but they will see a greater availability of them as well. Variety Asia says that more than 26.8 million units of Wii, DS, and Game Boy Advance software will ship during Nintendo's 2007 fiscal year. By comparison, 23.3 million units of software for the Sony platform will ship during the same period. Further, Sony machines will see a 30 to 40 percent decrease in shipped units from the three Japanese publishers, while Capcom alone will increase shipments for Nintendo systems by 81 percent to 4.7 million units.

As for the why, Variety Asia states that in addition to the fact the Wii and DS are trouncing the competition in the North American and Japanese markets, development costs are lower for Nintendo's hardware.

The report also states that another Japanese software giant, Square Enix, does not plan to develop any new titles for the PlayStation 3 until the console's installed base rises enough to make increased next-gen development costs worthwhile. However, Variety Asia made no mention that the company has several PS3 projects currently in development, including Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Square Enix's president and CEO, Yoichi Wada,  called the Xbox 360 and PS3 "over-engineered" and "mismatched" to gamers needs in a Financial Times report.

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173230.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3

Funny how Companies can shift so quickly. Its the GC/N64 all over again. Square isnt going to make the games or RELEASE their big games (FF13) until the userbase grows to an acceptable amount to support the budget they are putting behind it. They are also not counting out making it multi platform. However nothing slows down console sales like a LACK of those very same big games (FF13. What happens is it takes a long time and the console sales suffer greatly during that time. Eventually the games come but its far to late by then.

Around the Network

As a console does well, more games flock to it. As more games flock to it, the console does even better, so even more games are developed for it...

The snowball has begun to roll...

That's not to say the other consoles won't have some kick-ass games, but when I want graphics I'm going to get a GeForce8800 SLI rig and make PS3 and X360 look like nothing. I'll probably still play the wii more though.

Timmah! said:

As a console does well, more games flock to it. As more games flock to it, the console does even better, so even more games are developed for it...

That's not to say the other consoles won't have some kick-ass games, but when I want graphics I'm going to get a GeForce8800 SLI rig and make PS3 and X360 look like nothing. I'll probably still play the wii more though.

A little off topic but good luck playing Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy 13, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, and the many other exclusives of those systems on your high-end PC.  Don't get me wrong the PC has some good games coming like Crysis (2007?)and Starcraft 2 (2008?), but there are still a lot of good stuff you'll be missing out on and that can only be experienced on those consoles.

Legend11 said:
Timmah! said:

That's not to say the other consoles won't have some kick-ass games, but when I want graphics I'm going to get a GeForce8800 SLI rig and make PS3 and X360 look like nothing. I'll probably still play the wii more though.

A little off topic but good luck playing Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy 13, Gran Turismo 5, Metal Gear Solid 4, and the many other exclusives of those systems on your high-end PC. Don't get me wrong the PC has some good games coming like Crysis (2007?)and Starcraft 2 (2008?), but there are still a lot of good stuff you'll be missing out on and that can only be experienced on those consoles.

I do agree, Legend, but the 360 and PS3 represent a semi-akward middle ground.  Here's an argument to explain what I mean.

Person 1: "I care about graphics!"

Person 2: "Okay then, get a PC."

Person 1: "But I need a lot of exclusive games. Sure the PC has some, but I want lots."

Person 2: "Oh, you want a lot of games? Then I'd recommend getting a Wii. It's going to have the most exclusive games."

Person 1: "But the graphics aren't good enough!" 

In other words, 360/PS3 have more games than the PC, but less than the Wii; 360/PS3 has better graphics than the Wii, but worse than the PC. The two consoles get sandwhiched in between, and I think it's to their detriment.

With that said, the 360/PS3 (I think especially the 360, your console of choice) are going to have many great games over their lifespan, and if you happen to care about the 360/PS3's great games more than the PC/Wiis, then more power to you. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Legend, for those games, don't they have a history of being ported to PC? Epic did Gears, so it's not a huge step. Final Fantasy has, same with Metal Gear, GTA, even Resident Evil.

With games like Crysis and such, and more and more joyful PC technology comming out, it wouldn't shock me if some things come out for PC again.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Timmah! said:

That's not to say the other consoles won't have some kick-ass games, but when I want graphics I'm going to get a GeForce8800 SLI rig and make PS3 and X360 look like nothing. I'll probably still play the wii more though.

Agreed, PC is still where the highest potential lie (although it also have the lowest gcd, maybe) 

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA