By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton on BC and other things

madskillz said:

Bet with yojimbo: 360 GTA IV will outsell PS3 GTA IV by 2 to 1 by Fall 2008

It's 5.64m (360) vs 4.13m (PS3).

What did you loose for loosing this bet?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Leetgeek said:
Cool so I should go ahead and get a PS2 for like $5. Thanks for the fishy update!

Yeah... and then like 3 more when it breaks down... because the PS2 was the orignal 360.

Then... none cause you can't find them anymore 4-5 years from now.

You really can't see why people perfer the sturdy PS3 as a PS2 machine?

DRE? That's purely a dust issue. Running a system for years without the ability to access the insides to clean out will do that. I dare you to never open your computer to air out the dust. See what happens. I got the DRE like a year before I got my PS3...opened it open, got compressed air...cleaned the lens a little and it worked like a charm. It worked all that time and now since I have my 60GB I don't use it...but dust was just able to get inside the tray too easily.

I doubt many slims have the DRE problem since it's flip-top and you can just clean the lense real easily.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Borkachev said:
Bladeneo said:
Of course BC was a financial decision..."still selling PS2 software to PS2 customers", basically saying they want as many people buying PS2's as possible, so to do that they take away the only other option to play PS2 games, a BC PS3. Purely financial.

Except it makes absolutely no sense. If they can get someone to buy a PS3 instead of a PS2 (which backwards compatibility does), then they open up the possibility of that person buying software for both systems instead of just one, and greatly increase their profit potential from that sale in the future. Because of course, PS2 software sales will dry up in a couple years, while PS3 sales will begin to bloom. There's no reason at all for Sony to prefer a PS2 sale to a PS3, unless they're looking at the ultra short term -- and if they're afraid of losing a couple bucks on the initial PS3 sale, then they shouldn't be in this business to begin with.

The original quote makes no sense as written either:

Hardware / software for backwards compat wasn't all that expensive. ... but we're selling PS2 software to PS2 customers, and selling PS3 software to PS3 consumers."

What difference does it make who's buying the software, or what console it's for? Their cut is the same regardless.

None of this adds up. Either there's another reason they're not telling us, or they really are clueless. Jack does make it sound like he was overruled on this one...

They sell PS2s at a profit vs selling PS3s at a loss. That's why they don't want people buying PS3s instead of PS2s. They want the PS2 to live on as a viable hardware seller for as long as possible. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Of course piracy is to blame for any failure Sony runs into.

Isn't it obvious there are zero piracy on Nintendo and Microsoft platform?

TheRealMafoo said:
madskillz said:

A core value is a core value, no matter how you slice it. Google the phrase and see what comes up - words like integrity, underpinning. If a company states core values, I am gonna listen. If they renege, they've lost a customer...

Of all the things you have ever said MadSkillz, this one takes the cake.

How in holly hell are you a MS fan, if things like core values, and integrity are a requirements for your patronage. That company should be at the top of your "go fuck off and die" list within the software/electronics arena.

Wow...

Please provide examples of where MS said something was a core value and walked away from it like it was the plague. Not only that, give me a Ninny example. So what if Billy said the Xbox was the most reliable - but did he state it was a core value. Look at the word - core. And based on this thread title, a core is a tenet of sorts. You can't just drop one or two and keep touting you have the same product. Dude, that's like saying your car will always offer a turbocharged engine standard, one that's low maintenance but is uber expensive in favor of creating a cheaper vehicle that offers a 4 cylinder and just one configuration. When you call them on it, they are like 'We decided to go into a different direction.' I could see if Sony never did it - but for an exec, departed or not, to make a statement about BC that Sony didn't issue a memo stating 'this clown was speaking out his butt' tells me they supported his words.

I had a PS1 and still have my PS2. I expected full BC, just like in the previous models. If it's a core value, I expect when I buy a PS console, I will be able to play my old PS games on it. It is retarded to change/drop a core value without making a huge fuss and telling folks clearly, like they finally did, that BC is gone for good.

Around the Network

I am a fan of the PS3, but I don't like this decision either. Some of us would like to play our PS2 games on our HDTV's, the PS3 upscales a lot of them quite nicely.

I'm glad I got an 80gb that does this, but I would be pissed if I was still wanting to buy one and had to go pay way to much on ebay to get the upscaling.

I hope they realize the mistake and put out a sku that has BC.

mike_intellivision said:
Basically, it seems as if Sony wants people to forget about the past and buy new games.

That strategy was how things used to be done. But Sony changed that with the PS2.

Nah, Sega started it, Mega Drive was BC with Master System games (albeit with the Power Base Converter).

At least he's being honest. But it is a bad move.

Long term it gives no reason for an existing PS users to move on to the next generation.

I hate how I have to rebuy games. This was one of my favorite things about Sony.

What am I going to do with all my PS1 and 2 games when my slim breaks and they are no longer servicing them? I hope they license out the manufacture for PS2 when they stop making them.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Never? seriously?? maybe after they pull the plug on PS2?

@ madskillz

So Sony is a hypocrite. Big deal. They lied. Big deal. I'm sure Microsoft has never lied in their life.

It's obvious by the sales of the PlayStation 3, that the only people that care about it having backwards compatibility are people who don't want to own the system in the first place!!

Look at the O.P. of the thread: A non-PS3 owner, and someone who shows no drive to own the PS3. Look at madskillz: Someone who went out and wasted money on the PS3 so that he could bash it all the time but say, "Butz I'z iz a Pee S 3 Ownaz!". I mean seriously. Sales have been very healthy, outselling the 360 every week, but everyone's making a big deal out of this. 150-200k people who buy it every week don't care, why do you?