By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 at 22.5 percent marketshare!

if i were you i also check the .01%

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

it will depend a lot on how good the wii sells. if it sells much more than 50% then it will be hard for any of the hd consoles to reach or stay above 25% market share. with the increasing shipments of the wii coming now i think it will be very hard for ps3 to further increase market share percentage, and xbox market share might start dropping fater than it does now. (but it all depends on how many consoles nintendo really can sell per month with increased production)

RolStoppable said:
I think the chances that the Wii reaches 50 % this year are higher than the PS3 reaching 25 %.

i saw a pig flying too.

i guess its true not to trust kimpossible avatars users.

DMeisterJ said:
I think it's gonna happen.

Well, you can watch it weekly to see if the PS3 is on track.  It needs to average selling 80,000 units world wide more than 1 in 4 each week in order to make up this distance.  The holiday season is a wild card because everyone will be selling a ton and it will depend a lot on deals this year, I think.

To give you an idea of how the PS3 is doing, let's look at data over the last two available weeks.

27 June 08

--------

Wii: 490K

PS3: 169K

360: 130K

PS3 exceeded 1 in 4 by: -38K

--------

20 June 08

--------

Wii: 342K

PS3: 186K

360: 123K

--------

PS3 exceeded 1 in for by: 10K

Looking at the available data for July 5th, it looks like the PS3 is selling less than 25% in that week also.

Looking at the others/japan data for July 12th, it looks like the PS3 is less than 25% again.  American data won't help it unless the Wii has an off week.

For each of those weeks, the PS3 is going to have to make up that 80K in another week or combination of weeks.  And it looks like this trend is going to continue for a while.

Go back a bit further and we see the little MGS 4 bump and then the very weak weeks pre-MGS 4.  The fact is that the last two weeks combined would end up being reasonably average, or even slightly strong for the PS3 compared to the rest of the summer.  To recap, what we're observing is that the PS3 is barely reaching 25% sales on a week-to-week basis and it's coming nowhere nearly the additional 80K it would need to reach 25% by year end.

Saying that some magic will happen during the holiday season is a lot of hand waving.  The PS3 is currently 2.08 million units short of 25% according to VGC -- let me know when it closes that gap by 1/10th: 1.90 million units short of 25%.  If you want to close this gap in 6 months, including holidays, then surely you'd expect 1/10th of that gap to be closed every non-holiday month even counting on magic during the holidays.

with a new 80 gig ps3 this xmas for £299 and the launch of the new movie service, combined with home, and many other avalaunch laden titles. i see that % increasing further after xmas 2008 is over.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

Gratz PS3. I wish you continued momentum.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Skeeuk said:

with a new 80 gig ps3 this xmas for £299 and the launch of the new movie service, combined with home, and many other avalaunch laden titles. i see that % increasing further after xmas 2008 is over.

Wouldn't that be offset by the 20 gig clearance sale by MS?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
Skeeuk said:

Aren't those in short supply?  or going to be?

PS3 is gonna do it. I believe in the Ps3. 25% here we come!!!

DMeisterJ said:
gebx said:
Skeeuk said:

Aren't those in short supply?  or going to be?

nope i dont think that would be offset by 20gig 360 clearance. although i may pick up a cheap 20 gig clearance 360 to keep upstairs.

but it amazes me that microsoft are trying to get core/arcade users and premium users to buy a 60 gig or greater hard drive. thus furthering the cost to have a full 360 experiance. im talking about the phasing out of the 20 gig and sticking it on clearance btw.

for a core/arcade/premium user to upgrade he would have to shel out at least £69.99 for the touted 60 gig hd, or at the moment £100 for 120 gig, plus bolster it with a £69.99 wiresless conection and a recurring £40 annual online licence fee is money grabing if you ask me.

thats a possible £194 extra you have to pay if you also include a plug+charge kit. if it was me i would complain.

its ok to buy the new 360 package at 60gig(seems good value to me), but what of the millions of core/arcade/premium owners who will have to shell out extra to get the full experiance. heck burnout was unplayable online with a core/arcade and i also hear the new soul caliber requires HD which i suspect will be for online play as in burnout. 360 fans who are truthfull will know that is shafting the purchasers.

imo the playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming/entertainment/acceleration with everything out of the box that provides games players/movie watchers/family users, music lovers, great value for money, i firmly believe the % of playstation 3 to rise after xmas 2008 and that the new 80 gig £299 console this xmas will sell extremly well in EU and worldwide.

but........................wether you own a ps3, 360 or wii. i believe xmas 2008 or if you like fall 2008 will be better and more exiting than 2007 equivilent.

at the end of the day you should be happy with your console of choice, which for me is obviously the ps3.

and finally!

contrary to murmuring belief(through messeges i have got in past 3 weeks), i do not have anything against 360 or wii or anything against thier respective fans. majority of ppl here have picked a console that they think offers the best value for money, hence so have i. <---------------- sorry just had to add that in the last minit.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...